Author Topic: The Resurrection and the Life  (Read 422 times)

Offline Iasgair

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
The Resurrection and the Life
« on: Sunday 12 September 21 18:48 BST (UK) »
Some time ago, must be nearly 10 years, I caught the Family Tree bug big time and grew quite a large family tree.

The bug wore off after a time and I thought I was cured but now I think that Iíve caught it again, or it may just have been dormant for all this time.

Anyway, as they donít seem to have invented a jab, as yet, I have decided to embrace it again and pick up where I left off.

As I have just discovered, and as those of you who have been in the grip of the bug for any length of time will already know, there has been some changes over the past few years both in software and in hardware.

I have resurrected the old computer that I used back in the day which ran on Windows 7 and discovered all the files etc still saved on it. The programme I used to create the tree was Family Tree Maker 2011 Premium.

What I need to decide now is whether, or not, to get the latest release of FTM, install it on my current computer, which works on Windows 10, and then transfer all the relevant files. Or do I try one of the other family tree programmes on offer and maybe somehow try to bring the old FTM files back to life on it.

Any suggestions, guidance, advice from seasoned veterans would be warmly welcomed.

Offline Kiltpin

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Stand and be Counted
    • View Profile
Re: The Resurrection and the Life
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 12 September 21 19:50 BST (UK) »
Windows 11 is coming! I would hold off buying the latest FTM till we know that it is Windows 11 compatible. 

Regards 

Chas
Whannell - Eaton - Jackson
India - Scotland - Australia

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 12 September 21 20:53 BST (UK) »
Would  be  interested  myself with  any  outcome from this subject, have  a windows 7  myself, my family tree programme isn't  compatible with windows  10, huge  problem for  me at the  moment

Louisa  Maud
Census information is Crown Copyright,
from  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Granath Sweden and London
Garner, Marylebone Paddington  Northolt Ilford
Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Jenkins Marylebone Paddington
Mizon/Mison/Myson Paddington
Tindal Marylebone Paddington
Tocock, (name changed to Ellis) London
Southam Marylebone, Paddington
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Edermaniger(Maniger) Essex Kent Canada (Toronto)
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 12 September 21 21:58 BST (UK) »
And we were told that Windows 10 was it!
No more changes!
Oooer!
Victoria .

Offline Kiltpin

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Stand and be Counted
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 12 September 21 22:39 BST (UK) »
There is still a way to get windows 10 if you only have 7 or 8. I had 7 on my last computer, there was a free upgrade to 8, a month later the upgrade was to 8,1. I could have had the free upgrade to 10, but was warned off by a "friend". After the time-limit was up, I found this link and upgraded to 10.   

The windows 11 upgrade will be free to windows 10. So you should be able to upgrade from 7, or 8 to 10 and then to 11.
https://www.zdnet.com/article/heres-how-you-can-still-get-a-free-windows-10-upgrade/ 

Regards 

Chas
Whannell - Eaton - Jackson
India - Scotland - Australia

Offline Iasgair

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 13 September 21 08:47 BST (UK) »
The operating system on the computer that I currently use is Windows 10 Pro, upgraded and installed less than a year ago from just plain Windows 10, or it might have been Windows 10.1. Microsoft keep sending notifications regularly of tweaks and improvements, it seems all this goes on in the background all the time whether I want it to or not.

Something called Microsoft Edge suddenly appeared some months ago, installed without so much as a by your leave. I canít recollect ever having asked for it or consenting to having it inflicted on me. I donít use it but I canít be sure whether or not itís doing its own thing in the background. As far as I can tell it hasnít interfered with anything or altered any of the activities that I continue to undertake as usual. I dare not touch it or try and remove it just in case the whole thing comes to grief.

As I understand it Windows 11 is due for release sometime in October, not long to wait. I didnít realise it was offered as a free upgrade to Windows 10 users, thatís something these days when Ďaught for noughtí is rare.

Anyway, to cut a short story even shorter, I am confident that my device and the operating system it runs on is as good I can make it and ready and able to cope with anything I throw at it.

Now then, itís what to throw at it next that is currently of primary interest.

Do I go for an up to date Family Tree Maker (FTM) software package, install it and try to get all the stuff from past versions and past operating systems to run efficiently, or do I take the plunge and go for a completely new family tree software package?

I hesitate to stick with FTM because, as I understand it, Ancestry, whose baby it was, no longer look after, upgrade or update it as necessary for it to keep up with upgrades and updates of other software, systems and devices.

I find myself increasing drawn to Roots Magic, it looks pretty slick and not that much different, in appearance and abilities at least, from FTM.

I believe Roots Magic 7, the latest version, is currently being offered at a discounted price and that version 8, due for release imminently, will be offered at a discounted price to users of version 7.

Roots Magic To Go sounds very attractive. Install the software and all related files and work on a USB flashdrive making it possible to use it all on any device anywhere.

Whatís not to like? 

Offline Michael J

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 13 September 21 16:44 BST (UK) »
Sorry I'm not really able to help with FTM replacements as I use Family Historian 4 which is well out of date (now version 7). Like you I am running Windows 10 Pro on a system which was originally Windows 7.

However,
Something called Microsoft Edge suddenly appeared some months ago, installed without so much as a by your leave. I canít recollect ever having asked for it or consenting to having it inflicted on me. I donít use it but I canít be sure whether or not itís doing its own thing in the background. As far as I can tell it hasnít interfered with anything or altered any of the activities that I continue to undertake as usual. I dare not touch it or try and remove it just in case the whole thing comes to grief.

Edge is Microsoft's current web browser & is the replacement for Windows Explorer, which is being discontinued.

Also, Windows 11 requires recent versions of the computer processor so may not be able to run on your system.

Michael.

Edit: Silly me, I meant Internet Explorer, apologies.

Offline Iasgair

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 13 September 21 18:04 BST (UK) »
Hello Michael,

Thanks for the gen on Microsoft Edge. As I said its installed now and whether it is it or Explorer beavering away in the background Iím getting the desired effect.

I bought this computer new about 16 months ago with Windows 10 pre-installed. I upgraded to Windows 10 Pro myself. I was assured that the processor, graphics, speeds, etc, were state of the art and it has 10 TB of hard disc space. I have 2, sometimes 3, monitors linked up and running simultaneously and work on several tasks using different programmes at the same time  . It goes so fast that it almost completes what I ask it to do before I ask it to do it.

If it turns out that it canít cope with a comparatively small programme like family tree software then I shall be having words with the heathens from whom I bought it.

Offline Michael J

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 13 September 21 18:31 BST (UK) »
Hello Lasgair,

It sounds as though your computer is modern enough to run Windows 11, Microsoft will be offering it through windows update to all compatible computers:

From Microsoft blog -

If your existing Windows 10 PC is running the most current version of Windows 10 and meets the minimum hardware specifications it will be able to upgrade to Windows 11. The upgrade rollout plan is still being finalised, but for most devices already in use today, we expect it to be ready sometime in early 2022. Not all Windows 10 PCs that are eligible to upgrade to Windows 11 will be offered to upgrade at the same time. To see if your PC is eligible to upgrade, download and run the PC Health Check app. Once the upgrade rollout has started, you can check if it is ready for your device by going to Settings/Windows Updates.

Michael.