Author Topic: Diary > Summary - Week ending 19th September  (Read 3385 times)

Online Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
Diary > Summary - Week ending 19th September
« on: Monday 13 September 21 09:35 BST (UK) »
Almost halfway through September, where has the time gone? The Prime Minister is due to announce his winter Covid plans, apparently he is dead set against another lockdown. Will we be getting a booster jab or will it only be for the extremely vulnerable? All will be revealed!

Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline candleflame

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Diary > Summary - Week ending 19th September
« Reply #1 on: Monday 13 September 21 09:51 BST (UK) »
There’s def an autumn feel to the air round here ! We’re starting to do more little things out and about but nothing major. We’re still wearing masks though when inside places. Husband went on the bus for the first time at the weekend and said the older ages wore masks on the bus but many younger ones didn’t . My confidence levels have def reduced since pre covid which I don’t like…..
North East of England

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 13 September 21 16:46 BST (UK) »
It must be autumn! I went to the suppliers, and bought the horticultural fleece I'll need to protect my tenderest plants against frost!!
(I had lots of really good pieces of it left after I'd released every plant a couple of years back - I tend to "stitch" shrubs in pots into a sort of lagging jacket of fleece, and that spring the stuff I took off looked a bit grubby but otherwise fine.
So I washed it.
Not in the machine, but each piece by hand.
Hung them up on the whirlygig line to dry.
They did look rather odd. Greyish and ragged.
Little grandchild of next door asked what they were.

-should I really have replied "Ghosts' nighties?
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Online Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 13 September 21 17:15 BST (UK) »
You're very conscientious TY, I put mine near to the house and leave it to God and providence!  ;D
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham

Offline trystan

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 13 September 21 19:59 BST (UK) »
A member of the family has caught covid, despite two vaccine doses (mild symptoms). Then another member of the family said in comment "Oh, so Covid must still be around then".
Send RootsChat a postcard:
RootsChat.com, Europa House, Barcroft Street, Bury, Lancashire, BL9 5BT
Admin Tip: Forgotten your Username or Password and would like to reply to one of these messages?  CLICK HERE to get a reminder.
AOL Users: You may need to 'cut and paste' any links you get in emails for them to work.

Offline mare

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 14 September 21 03:43 BST (UK) »
Hope those symptoms don't linger too long, Trystan.  :-\ Suppose information is at saturation point for some as time goes by, however being wary generally would be advisable.

Numbers have dipped again in update today after an increase yesterday, Monday, when announcement made to keep NZ at current lockdown levels another week. Aucklanders in particular are urged to seek vaccines more quickly if their bookings are not until next month or later, Spain and now Denmark have helped with supplies before our next ordered delivery.

All the best with your week ...

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 14 September 21 17:00 BST (UK) »
Ah, Roobarb, I almost lost my passionflower last year, through heavy frost. It was July when a tiny green shoot feebly waved itself around, from it. It seems to have managed to stage a slight recovery, got up the fencing, but - as I told it not to bother trying to flower this year, it hasn't!
So: as usual, every tender pot gets a little overcoat and/or tent.
TY
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Online Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 14 September 21 17:51 BST (UK) »
Despite my hacking great lumps off mine it just kept growing! I eventually managed to see it off, at least I think I have, the large stump is still there and looks quite green. I had actually taken a cutting which I planted against the opposite fence where it's more accessible and won't take over the whole garden like the other one was on the way to doing. The friend who gave me the original cutting still has hers making a takeover bid, I wonder why yours is having such a difficult time. Perhaps they like the sea breezes.  :D

Trystan, you must be relieved that your family member has only mild symptoms. Perhaps a little more worried about the one who didn't appreciate the current situation!
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 14 September 21 18:16 BST (UK) »
I took a risk and bought a very sad looking Physalis plant ,dried out ,was £5 but reduced to £1-25.A good soak and it has perked up well, three little “lanterns” .
Will read it up and will probably  be in my little greenhouse to overwinter.
Might need re-potting.

Well son went to physiotherapist yesterday ,he thinks the problem is the connective tissue between the ribs and sternum ,in the area where you might think you were having a heart attack.
So off all heart medication as tests have been negative,so  a really strong
 painkiller  when GP signs the prescription.
However ,any underlying infection must be eliminated.
It feels like a positive move though.

A brightish day today, rain early in the morning but dry for the rest of the day.
Got a very exciting letter ,from from “ Pure Cremation”—— today.
 ;D ;D ;D ;D
Honestly.
Well have decided to get my flu jab at The Chemist ,and then there will be the Covid  booster .
Talk a way back re a combined flu and Covid booster but I think at different times might be better for some people and as just announced in the news
boosters, for many over 50’s very soon.

Hope anyone affected is making good progress , and a good recovery.

Almost finished the  photograph sorting ,,categorising has been hard .
I just don’t want them chucked out when I am gone.
Some date back to 1892 ,after the 1891 census and 1898, my mother when she was two.
Trouble is I just have to look long at them, but whether anyone else will ———?
All info is there if  anyone  is interested.

Drain man coming back to do the work on 21st, very pleasant and approachable ,has good revues so hopefully a good job will be done .

No news really ,so read other poster’s eagerly.
Cheerio.Viktoria.

a