Author Topic: Diary > Summary - Week ending 19th September  (Read 3383 times)

Offline candleflame

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Diary > Summary - Week ending 19th September
« Reply #27 on: Saturday 18 September 21 10:15 BST (UK) »
Belated happy birthday Caroline. Enjoy creating all those lovely memories.
North East of England

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Saturday 18 September 21 10:33 BST (UK) »
What a fantastic day your family and friends gave you Caroline, hope you have another lovely one today. And the Chelsea flower show to look forward to as well. Wonderful  :)
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Saturday 18 September 21 23:35 BST (UK) »
Well another week, they do seem to go by quickly.

Had my hair cut yesterday ,within five minutes walking distance , very friendly ,and managed to wash it as I leant forward.
I don’t like a backward wash ,after feeling “ queer” after one years ago.
A plain bob cut but nicely layered.
Did not spend nearly half as much time as my previous one ,hardly blow dried it at all.
However at least the institution I look as if I have just been released from ,was a good one!

A nice bright day.

Took my neighbour her little treat  ,a lemon fool today.
She was not well ,bad back , but I hear very frequent bathroom visits in the night ,so wonder if her kidney function is OK.

Our brown- food and garden waste - bins not emptied .
The silly bin men miss mine out frequently ,a new crew who don’t  seem to remember I have assisted collection,nor my neighbour .
If they don’t come on Monday  and leave it until the correct date it will be eight weeks since it was last emptied.
It will be horrible at the bottom as the little bags disintegrate .
Should be every two weeks.
Honestly ,the mind boggles at the many ways a simple job can be messed up.
I think it a horrible job, but if you are doing it ,do it well.

Watched Sheila Hancock and Giles Brandreth on a canal narrow boat .
In Manchester now ,should be interesting a little further on as I think the canal passes where The Hacienda was.
Quite near  China Town.
The programme about the Settle to Carlisle railway, going over the Ribble Head viaduct was good too .
Posh first class !

Well Ashes to Ashes is on ,I like Philip Glenister .
The programme was filmed where my OH used to live ,his Mum’s house was on once.
We recognised the gasometer! ;D
Gene Hunt to another officer” What’s the matter with you,are you ill?”
“ No gov, why.”
“ You only hit him once “ — re a criminal in custody ,
“ Oh, sorry gov!”
BANG!
Shocking really wasn’t it!
 ;D ;D ;D

Cheerio.
Viktoria.

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Sunday 19 September 21 01:18 BST (UK) »
Viktoria
We are not allowed to use the little green bags in our brown compostable bins, my bins are very clean, often wash them out , everything in my brown bin is in newspaper but grass cutting just get thrown in which means I have to wash my brown bin every 2 weeks after the collection, woud be far easier if we were allowed the  green bags, seems councils vary from area to area
There was talk of having a food waste bin, suppose a bit like what used to be called a pig bin,  not keen on that  idea if it is collected only every 2 weeks
Having a can't sleep night hence me here at this unearthly hour

Louisa Maud
Census information is Crown Copyright,
from  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Granath Sweden and London
Garner, Marylebone Paddington  Northolt Ilford
Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Jenkins Marylebone Paddington
Mizon/Mison/Myson Paddington
Tindal Marylebone Paddington
Tocock, (name changed to Ellis) London
Southam Marylebone, Paddington
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Edermaniger(Maniger) Essex Kent Canada (Toronto)
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Sunday 19 September 21 09:34 BST (UK) »
Ooops!
Very late with birthday wishes for Caroline, but I see it has been a wonderful celebration so far, with more treats to come, so all is well.
Enjoy it Caroline. :D
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Sunday 19 September 21 10:23 BST (UK) »
Belated Happy Birthday Caroline!  🎂🎉Apologies that I missed this.  Hope you enjoy treats to come ...

Yesterday, was a day off so I was able to go to a Heritage Open Day event with a friend.  This was a heritage ice cream tasting event at the Molten Cafe on the Fish Quay and we were both thoroughly looking forward to it!
The event was great fun, tasting the various gelatos and sorbets and discussing and voting on what we liked or weren't so keen on.   Each sample was brought to us at our tables and was beautifully presented. I quite liked the gelato made with 'Alexander' which apparently grows wild along the banks of the Tyne.  I wasn't so keen on the coriander sorbet as I don't like coriander but this also had lime in which slightly improved the taste.  The last thing on the menu was a orange coloured drink made from sea buck which apparently also grows wild around our coast.  This had quite a sharp and unusual flavour quite unlike anything I have ever had before.
The owner told us he had spent lockdown working on a range of flavours.  The cafe isn't open yet but he says that when it does open he plans to rotate a range of heritage flavours on the menu.
I also called at a shop yesterday.  They had a big sign up at the entrance about the difficulties they are still having.  (See attached shop notice)
In the afternoon I went to another Heritage Open Day event at Earsdon, St Alban.  It was quite busy in the village as their annual scarecrow festival was also on. 
The guides in the Church were very friendly and welcoming and it was very interesting to hear about the history associated with the Church, including the Hartley Pit Disaster, and the commissioned beautiful Tudor stain glass windows which had once been at Hampton Court until Anne Boleyn fell out of favour with King Henry.
I was asked if I would like to go up the stone staircase and view the inside Church from the high balcony.  I  enthusiastically said yes, but when I got up there I could hardly move - I felt it all a bit dizzying.  I can't cope with open heights like I used to and I had to go straight back down.
On return home, I saw an extra 'scarecrow' at a bus stop and decided to stop and take a photo.  However, when I got up close I saw one of them was really a man dressed up!  So I just took a photo of the real lady scarecrow and will attach if I can.

Another thing to mention from my week is that one night on my way to nightshift I actually saw the fox again!  He walked right past me on my street and then we both stopped and turned to look at each other before he trotted off into the darkness.  There wasn't time to take a photo but I am keeping a look out to see if our paths might cross again!

Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Sunday 19 September 21 11:13 BST (UK) »
Wow RTL, that gelato event was quite something!!  :-\
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Sunday 19 September 21 12:24 BST (UK) »
Yes, it was Mowsehowse.  I wish you could have come .. I wish you all could have come.  I think it would have been a workout for Roobarb's taste buds. ;)

I must admit I wasn't looking forward to the salmon gelato but was quite surprised and concede that it actually tasted surprisingly good. 
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Sunday 19 September 21 15:25 BST (UK) »
Aren't "Alexanders" a bit like wild garlic (Ransoms) or similar?
Sounds fantastic.
TY
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)