Author Topic: Brocklehurst - SCROSS , Derby . Help needed to identify the location or name.  (Read 219 times)

Offline carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My gran and I in 1954.
    • View Profile
Re: Brocklehurst - SCROSS , Derby . Help needed to identify the location or name.
« Reply #9 on: Monday 13 September 21 11:43 BST (UK) »
Having looked at the original it is very water damaged. However pob looks like Glossop to me.

Yes I agree with that- Derby Glossop.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline emeltom

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Brocklehurst - SCROSS , Derby . Help needed to identify the location or name.
« Reply #10 on: Monday 13 September 21 11:43 BST (UK) »
There is a nonconformist baptism in Glossop 15 March 1821 for a Joseph, son of John, a Farmer, and Mary Brocklehurst. Abode Chinley.

There is also a death in 1878 in Ashton under Lyne so he should be in the 1861 and 1871 Censuses to confirm pob.
Smith Tiplady Boulton Branthwaite King Miller Woolfall Bretherton Archer and many more

Offline MELLOR BROOK

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 13 September 21 11:44 BST (UK) »
 Fantastic . Thank you both.

Offline carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My gran and I in 1954.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 13 September 21 11:47 BST (UK) »
The marriage is on Family Search,complete with banns image.

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:F3XT-DPK

And the cert image... https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:F3G1-6NR
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline emeltom

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 13 September 21 11:53 BST (UK) »
I can only find one Joseph Broclehurst born 1822 with father George and he was baptised in Stockport to George, a Weaver, and Anne. Abode Hillgate.

In the 1871 census Joseph gives pob as Stockport.
Smith Tiplady Boulton Branthwaite King Miller Woolfall Bretherton Archer and many more

Offline MELLOR BROOK

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 13 September 21 12:13 BST (UK) »
Hello & many thanks  again to you both .

I actually have a copy of his marriage certificate and therefore believe his fathers name is George. Charles Brocklehurst is also a witness to the marriage. I can find George and his sons Charles  & Joseph plus younger siblings in many census records  but the true pob of Joseph and pob of his parents remains a bit of a mystery to date.  Thanks for clarifying the " SCROSS " mystery. I'll have to spend a lot more time on mapping out the dates and their movements to get to the bottom of it , if I ever can.  Thanks for your time and efforts today .

Offline GrahamH

• RootsChat Veteran
  • www.gjh.me.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 15 September 21 08:07 BST (UK) »
It looks to me like Glossop as well.
However, there is a tree on another genealogy site which refers to the 1861 and 1871 censuses where he gives his place of birth as Stockport.

Offline MELLOR BROOK

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 15 September 21 09:59 BST (UK) »
Thanks Graham . I'll go with Stockport as pob .

Offline MELLOR BROOK

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 15 September 21 10:21 BST (UK) »
 Hi   All that have responded.

Ive just found a place called Shallcross, Derbyshire which is not too far from Stockport, Cheshire. I 'll spend sometime in the near future looking into that area for his father & mother, boundary changes etc.  I'm no expert but I'm beginning to question if parents had children baptised when they settled in the larger mill towns & not in their pob if  it's a hamlet or tiny village .  If only I had all day to spend on this.....