Author Topic: Always expect the unexpected!  (Read 3522 times)

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
Always expect the unexpected!
« on: Monday 13 September 21 15:49 BST (UK) »
My auntie dropped a new (to me) bit of family history during her visit this morning.

Her husband (1925-1996) had been married before, and divorced. When he married for the second time, he had been recorded as a bachelor, so I hadn't guessed.

So I spent an hour or so going through ScotlandsPeople and trying to jog her memory. I had to look up the areas of Glasgow again to narrow things down.

I found the marriage in 1944. He was 19 and in the army; she was 16 and pregnant. Their son was born later that year. Following their divorce, both remarried in 1953.

So another few surnames added to the tree!
Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.

Offline Girl Guide

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Always expect the unexpected!
« Reply #1 on: Monday 13 September 21 18:42 BST (UK) »
That's family history for you Andrew  ;D  You get the occasional curve ball thrown in the mix which you then have to research to check it out.
Ashford: Somerset, London
England: Devon, London, New Zealand
Holdway: Wiltshire
Hooper: Bristol, Somerset
Knowling: Devon, London
Southcott: Devon, China
Strong: Wiltshire
Watson: Cambridgeshire
White: Bristol
Windo - Gloucestershire, Somerset, Wiltshire

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Big sister with baby brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 14 September 21 02:33 BST (UK) »
My recent DNA test threw up some unexpected results.
I was expecting one family story to be disproved, but it turns out I do indeed have Swedish ancestry, just  not the individual I have in my tree.
On top of that, a 6% Asian ethnicity result has thrown my Yorkshire connections out the window.
Expect the unexpected.....
I am Australian, from all the lands I come (my ancestors, at least!)

Pine/Pyne, Dowdeswell, Kempster, Sando/Sandoe/Sandow, Nancarrow, Hounslow, Youatt, Richardson, Jarmyn, Oxlade, Coad, Kelsey, Crampton, Lindner, Pittaway, and too many others to name.
Devon, Dorset, Gloucs, Cornwall, Warwickshire, Bucks, Oxfordshire, Wilts, Germany, Sweden, and of course London, to name a few.

Offline susieroe

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 14 September 21 03:09 BST (UK) »
One of my neighbours recently told us about his DNA results. Pakistan popped up as one of his ethnicities. He is a Romany so that must be a bit of deep ancestry showing up. His son went straight out and bought him a prayer mat  ;D

Roe,Wells, Bent, Kemp, Weston
Bruin, Gillam, Hurd/Heard, Timson, All in Leicestershire. Keats (Kates)

https://ourkeatsfamilystory.blogspot.com/

Online coombs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Research the dead....forget the living.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 14 September 21 13:10 BST (UK) »
I was expecting one family story to be disproved, but it turns out I do indeed have Swedish ancestry, just  not the individual I have in my tree.
On top of that, a 6% Asian ethnicity result has thrown my Yorkshire connections out the window.

Interesting. What makes you think the 6% Asian ethnicity throws your Yorks connections out of the window?
Researching:

LONDON, Coombs, Roberts, Auber, Helsdon, Fradine, Morin, Goodacre
DORSET Coombs, Munday
NORFOLK Helsdon, Riches, Harbord, Budery
KENT Roberts, Goodacre
SUSSEX Walder, Boniface, Dinnage, Standen, Lee, Botten, Wickham, Jupp
SUFFOLK Titshall, Frost, Fairweather, Mayhew, Archer, Eade, Scarfe
DURHAM Stewart, Musgrave, Wilson, Forster
SCOTLAND Stewart in Selkirk
USA Musgrave, Saix
ESSEX Cornwell, Stock, Quilter, Lawrence, Whale, Clift
OXON Edgington, Smith, Inkpen, Snell, Batten, Brain

Offline pharmaT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 14 September 21 14:26 BST (UK) »
Today I found a probate calendar entry for someone in my tree and I don't recognise the name of the person probate was granted to, investigation time.
Campbell, Dunn, Dickson, Fell, Forest, Norie, Pratt, Somerville, Thompson, Tyler among others

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Big sister with baby brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 24 September 21 01:33 BST (UK) »
Interesting. What makes you think the 6% Asian ethnicity throws your Yorks connections out of the window?

That's the line that I  have narrowed it down to. The percentage matches up with my 2x great grandmother. Her common law husband was in and out of gaol, and the newspaper report of the inquest into her death mentioned Chinese people.
Her husband, though born in Australia was descended from a Yorkshire family.

I am Australian, from all the lands I come (my ancestors, at least!)

Pine/Pyne, Dowdeswell, Kempster, Sando/Sandoe/Sandow, Nancarrow, Hounslow, Youatt, Richardson, Jarmyn, Oxlade, Coad, Kelsey, Crampton, Lindner, Pittaway, and too many others to name.
Devon, Dorset, Gloucs, Cornwall, Warwickshire, Bucks, Oxfordshire, Wilts, Germany, Sweden, and of course London, to name a few.

Online coombs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Research the dead....forget the living.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 04 April 23 15:46 BST (UK) »

That's the line that I  have narrowed it down to. The percentage matches up with my 2x great grandmother. Her common law husband was in and out of gaol, and the newspaper report of the inquest into her death mentioned Chinese people.
Her husband, though born in Australia was descended from a Yorkshire family.

Aah that explains it. I would say that if her common law husband was in and out of jail a lot, then your 2xgreat gran would have sought some comfort elsewhere.
Researching:

LONDON, Coombs, Roberts, Auber, Helsdon, Fradine, Morin, Goodacre
DORSET Coombs, Munday
NORFOLK Helsdon, Riches, Harbord, Budery
KENT Roberts, Goodacre
SUSSEX Walder, Boniface, Dinnage, Standen, Lee, Botten, Wickham, Jupp
SUFFOLK Titshall, Frost, Fairweather, Mayhew, Archer, Eade, Scarfe
DURHAM Stewart, Musgrave, Wilson, Forster
SCOTLAND Stewart in Selkirk
USA Musgrave, Saix
ESSEX Cornwell, Stock, Quilter, Lawrence, Whale, Clift
OXON Edgington, Smith, Inkpen, Snell, Batten, Brain

Offline DianaCanada

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 04 April 23 21:06 BST (UK) »

Swedish could just be Viking ancestry, everyone in my bloodline who has been tested shows Swedish or Norwegian, and as we have half northern English ancestry, I am quite sure that is what is it.
OH has 50% Scandinavian but in his case, it's accurate, his mother was Danish/Swedish.  In fact, his DNA analysis seems very accurate over all, unlike mine, which has a huge dollop of Scottish, from who knows where.  All my lines back at least 6 generations are English, then there might be a bit of Scottish or Irish in there, but not enough to justify 16%.  And yes, I have matched to just about all my lines to someone on Ancestry DNA, so no unexpected fathers in there (I know about those, and they are English too!).