Author Topic: Uniform identification help!  (Read 492 times)

Offline Jane65

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Uniform identification help!
« on: Tuesday 14 September 21 13:37 BST (UK) »
Photo of possibly my g/uncle during WW1. Does any one know what uniform/brigade? he is wearing. Many thanks

Offline tonepad

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Uniform identification help!
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 14 September 21 13:52 BST (UK) »
The cap badge looks like a Fusilier Regiment (infantry). There were several Fusilier Regiments with similar badges. The detail on your photo does not help a better identification.

Tony
Aucock/Aukett~Kent/Sussex, Broadway~Oxfordshire, Danks~Warwickshire, Fenn~Kent/Norfolk, Goatham~Kent, Hunt~Kent, Parker~Middlesex, Perry~Kent, Sellers~Kent/Yorkshire, Sladden~Kent, Wright~Kent/Essex

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 14 September 21 14:04 BST (UK) »
Tropical uniform
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Gwil

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 14 September 21 17:33 BST (UK) »
This photo was placed on a Facebook page last night by a Hugh Chambers who stated the soldier was Robert Owen Rowlands and was from Tywyn, Meirionydd. (ROR was Hugh's grandmothers cousin)

These are my two replies that are awaiting Hugh's attention.

"There's a Robert Owen Rowlands of Red Lion Street, Tywyn who was Pte 290450 in 7th RWF. No personal record that I can see. His initial number was 2578 until renumbered 290450 when the Territorial Force had a renumbering excercise in early 1917 He enlisted in the Territorials Dec 1912/Jan 1913. Went with 1st 7th Bn to Gallipoli in Aug 1915 thereafter to Egypt/Palestine."

and

"I didn't have full access to my material last night. Is the photo endorsed as being Robert? It is the Absent Voters 1918 that identifies the above details. It also has John Vaughan Rowlands, Red Lion Street Sgt 290457, 1st 7th RWF and Jacob Rowlands, Red Lion Street (no military identity). The AVL does not indicate a number in Red Lion Street but they sit consecutively in the list. A quick look at 1911/1901 census show a family of Rowlands in Tywyn with a John, Jacob and Robert.

Jacob Rowlands, with an address in Tywyn (Frankwell Street I think, which is one of the census addresses) has military records on Ancestry which shows service in RWF 7th Bn from 1909 to 1916 as Pte 2416, discharged time served. He then re enlist 7th Bn under as Pte 5044 7th Bn renumbered to 291934. You should be able to turn them up on Ancestry/FMPast. I haven't exhaustively researched these men/family but provide the info for you to assess whether they are your family. If you need clarification of anything then ask away."

Offline SiGr

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 14 September 21 17:57 BST (UK) »
Hi, that is the cap badge of the Royal Welsh Fusiliers. If you do a Google image search you will see similar examples. Good luck with your research.
(1) Janions of Cheshire, Lancashire, Hawaii, Vancouver and Seattle.
(2) Gregorys of Tarporley, Cheshire.
(3) Pughs of 'The New Pale' near Frodsham and Delamere in Cheshire.
(4) Nevills of Llanelly, Llangennech and Felinfoel.
(5) Yaldens of Ovington/Lovington in Hampshire.

Offline Jane65

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 15 September 21 09:44 BST (UK) »
Thank you all for you help. Gwil yes the other person and i are tracing similar trees. John & Jacob were also the same family. Your information was very helpful.