Author Topic: Rainwear Manufacturers Ancoats, Manchester in the 1960s  (Read 2579 times)

Offline Footo

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Rainwear Manufacturers Ancoats, Manchester in the 1960s
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 19 September 21 21:11 BST (UK) »

Then there was Silvanas warehouse on Piercy St - I remember getting winter coats for school from there in the 70’s.

My grammar school gaberdine had to be bought from Henry Barrie's. It cost a week's wages. When I eventually grew out of it I didn't get a replacement.

My secondary school uniform was bought from Rosenfield on Dantzic St. There was a list of 3 suppliers - Henry Barrie’s, Rosenfield and John McHugh.
Meehan - Sligo and Manchester
Currell - Princes Risborough and Manchester
Gee - Congleton, Salford and Manchester
Withers - Hornby, Manchester and Salford
Dodd - Congleton, Salford and Manchester

Online Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 19 September 21 23:52 BST (UK) »
So my lovely Jewish friend almost got me started on a career in sewing!
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Viktoria.

Apologies Runner55 for going "off topic" on your thread, but....

Viktoria, you never fail to give me a good laugh reading your stories.  So many lovely memories of years gone by mixed with your wicked sense of humour, I love 'em  ;D :-*
Sorry too to go off topic ,I got mixed up re which topic I was with.
There is another about the euphemisms “ sewer,seamstress, dressmaker “
All terms that have been used to describe prostitutes on Census returns!
Hence my referral to men needing some sewing being done snd the possibility my friend not turning up could have got me into a life “ sewing”.
I missed a bit out though, outside  The Bodega ,a woman was standing on the other side of the doorway.
After a couple of men had approached me,presuming I was a “dressmaker  “
she came across and told me to get off her pitch!!!!
That is when I went inside ,she was quite frightening!
You must also understand our knowledge of such things was very sketchy.
I don’t know how I got into The Bodega, but no one on the door.
Anyway, all turned out well ,never told my parents and my boyfriend was incandescent but he too presumed I would be aware of much more than I actually was.
So sorry for hijacking the topic ,but some of the men on Market St and along Piccadilly would be wearing raincoats so that is my excuse.
Viktoria.

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 20 September 21 14:41 BST (UK) »
Our uniform came from there too but we were measured at school and it was delivered there too.  ::)

Uniform ordering for kitting out before the new school year was on a Saturday at school. Barrie's staff visited again with summer uniform + items of pre-ordered winter uniform. I went to their Bolton store on a rare occasion when I needed a replacement item in between those events.
The style of gaberdine* raincoat supplied by Barrie's when I started secondary school didn't have a hood. I carries a "rain-mate" to put on over my compulsory school hat. The gaberdine wasn't as weather-proof as the cheaper one I'd worn to junior school (probably bought on the local market) so I had a "pack-a-mac" in reserve. 
* The word gaberdine derives from a long loose garment worn by Jewish men. 
Cowban

Offline Runner55

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 20 September 21 16:23 BST (UK) »
Oh please don't apologise for going 'off-topic'.  It's been very informative.  So interesting. All great fun!! 

And thank you so much again for all your input. 

Online Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 20 September 21 16:43 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the definition.I thought gabardine was the material, but was also used to describe garments made from it especially when it was used for raincoats .
Burberry was similar, material used for a special purpose so those garments ,again coats,  became known as Burberries .
Just like stockings became known as nylons ,previously they were silk “ stockings” or “ lisle stockings”but nylons when that material was invented.
I can see the style might well have come from the distinctive wear of Jewish men ,long straight coats ,and became absorbed into English ,there were many Jews here in the Middle Ages.
The word for such a coat would then be the same as the original Jewish one.
How interesting.
Viktoria.

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 20 September 21 22:46 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the definition.I thought gabardine was the material, but was also used to describe garments made from it especially when it was used for raincoats .

You're correct. We are both correct.
I checked my Oxford dictionary again.
Gabardine: "Twill-woven cloth usually made from worsted warp and cotton weft; material for raincoats. [variant of GABERDINE]
Gaberdine: "Loose upper garment worn formerly by Jews &c.; = GABARDINE [French]"
My school gabardine/gaberdine coat was loose-fitting with no belt. A friend wore her big sister's old school coat which had both belt and hood, more practical for Lancashire winter weather.
Cowban

Online Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 21 September 21 08:22 BST (UK) »
Thanks, Jewish traditions and the strict Laws interest me .
I did R,E, as a subject for O Levels and it carried on to the sixth form as a non exam subject .
With many Jewish girls at school my interest had been roused .
Also I am old enough to remember the horrifying news footage in cinemas just after the war.
A few years later meeting Jewish girls at Grammar School my horror was even more ,that such people could be treated so and almost annihilated .

Jewish humour really has me laughing out loud ,that it is often targeted against themselves shows great spirit.

I only had a School coat at first but later a navy one ,but not from Barrie’s .
We had two hats, a felt one and a beret.
As I had plaits at first  the  felt one did not sit well so a beret.
Honestly, the power of that school,we did not dare take our hats off before we got home!
Who would have known?
I had two bus journeys ,so doubtful if anyone would have reported me.
Occasionally Miss Thornton was on the same buses ,so yes keep your hat on .

The hat had the  identifying badge of course and we had a school scarf.
The school gabardine was not really a warm garment.
Thanks again,
Viktoria.

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 21 September 21 17:57 BST (UK) »
Funny, I remember my "Robert Hurst" school bottle green gaberdine coat being quite well - designed - detachable hood, and quilted, detachable lining. The blazer was less satisfactory, the girls' ones were of a different, less smooth fabric than the far better cut boys' ones. Unfair, we said.
TY
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)