Author Topic: Alice John born 1781 in Llanwonno, no trace  (Read 172 times)

Offline rebekahm28

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Alice John born 1781 in Llanwonno, no trace
« on: Wednesday 15 September 21 19:10 BST (UK) »
In my daughters tree from her fathers side , her ancestor is Alice John born 1781 who married a John Morgan in 1800 (also from Llanwonno) and quickly moved to a village called Bishops  Itchington in Warks, England. . Alice died in 1850, she had been widowed three years. I do have her tree to the present day and need no help with that, but although I have an ancestry sub, I canít afford Find my Past too, and when I click on Llanwonno archives the site directs me to FindMyPast. Itís basically the parents of Alice and/or John Iíd love to find. Thankyou for reading!
Casaubon (Geneva, London), Daulinge, Berners, McMullen (Nottingham), Tabb (Leics), Mycock (Derbys & Staffs), Gilbert (Notts), Price (s Wales), Krilovs/similar, gypsy Roberts, gypsy Clark, Bexell (Sussex), gypsy Elliott, Raven, Neligan (Co Kerry), Rymer, Newton (Hull).

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Alice John born 1781 in Llanwonno, no trace
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 15 September 21 19:43 BST (UK) »
the marriage in 1800 was for John Morgan, widower, and Anne John, both of Llanwonno, witnesses Jenkin Lewis & Morgan Evan.

What age was given for John at death/burial to give some idea of year of birth?
Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman
Cards: Thomas (Llanbadarn Fawr)
Glam: Bowler, Cram, Galloway, James, Thomas, Watkins
Lincs: Coupland, Cram
Mon: Cram, Gwyn, John, Philpot, Smart, Watkins
Pembs: Edwards (St. Dogmael's)
Yorks: Airey, Bowler, Elliott, Hare, Hewitt, Kellett, Kemp, Stephenson, Tebb

Offline rebekahm28

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 15 September 21 21:19 BST (UK) »
Hi on every census she does give her name as Alice not Anne. John was born 1781 I believe or poss 1776, which another user has entered, but on the death entry in the register there is no age. He is the only person with a blank for the age. He died 1847 in Bishops Itchington.
Casaubon (Geneva, London), Daulinge, Berners, McMullen (Nottingham), Tabb (Leics), Mycock (Derbys & Staffs), Gilbert (Notts), Price (s Wales), Krilovs/similar, gypsy Roberts, gypsy Clark, Bexell (Sussex), gypsy Elliott, Raven, Neligan (Co Kerry), Rymer, Newton (Hull).

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 15 September 21 22:16 BST (UK) »
You can use the GRO index to check the age at death.

John Morgan 71 jun qtr 1847 Southam vol 16 pg 390

Alice Morgan 70 dec qtr 1850 Southam vol 16 pg 370

As they are not on the 1851 census to give a place of birth, how have you traced them back to the John marrying Anne in Llanwonno? It's along way for an ag lab to move.
Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman

Offline AnnieBard

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 16 September 21 09:41 BST (UK) »
In my daughters tree from her fathers side , her ancestor is Alice John born 1781 who married a John Morgan in 1800 (also from Llanwonno) Ö Itís basically the parents of Alice and/or John Iíd love to find. Thankyou for reading!
Appreciate youíve probably seen this and rejected it but there is a St. Cadog, Llangadog 4 Sep 1802 marriage for an Alice Howell to a John Morgan of Llanddeusant. Itís the only Welsh one my search turns up at that time that results in a Mrs Alice Morgan.
Somerset and Wiltshire: Rodgers, Wilkins, Maundrill, Tucker, Adlam, Carey, Butcher, Fleetwood AND Scotland: Rodgers

Offline rebekahm28

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 16 September 21 09:57 BST (UK) »
AnnieBard, I might have to reassess this !  There was a family story that they came from Wales as the Welsh sheep drovers passed through the village enroute to London. But the family arenít interested or knowledgable about their family history so it could be wrong.
 SoÖ it was some time ago I looked at this branch and I may have to scrap it and restart . Daughter Elizabeth was baptised on 3 jan 1802 in bishopís Itchington so the couple were there then, the 1841 bishopís Itchington census does give a Ďnoí for born in the parish.
 Thank you so much. Osprey, thanks for your help also , may have taken a wrong turning once I got as far back as Alice.

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 16 September 21 17:23 BST (UK) »
if he was on his way with the drovers, he probably would have been from further north than Llanwonno or Llangadog.

https://www.genuki.org.uk/big/wal/Bibliography/DroversRoads

Offline rebekahm28

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 16 September 21 17:40 BST (UK) »
Thankyou, thereís no evidence itís even a true tale tbh , but Iíve amended my tree as no proof Llanwonno. It was around 16 years ago I entered that and I canít recall how I came to that conclusion! 

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 16 September 21 18:50 BST (UK) »
How about this marriage?

Culworth, Northants 29 Sept 1800 John Morgan & Allis Jones both otp, witnesses Richard Yate(?) & Catherine Jones.

https://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/NTH/Culworth - 11 miles or so from Bishops Itchington