Author Topic: Estate Landowners- Parish of Tydavnet  (Read 1557 times)

Offline Suemagoo

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Estate Landowners- Parish of Tydavnet
« on: Thursday 16 September 21 19:24 BST (UK) »
I am trying to learn who actually "owned" the land for the Town lands of Rafeenan and Tullygony in the Parish of Tydavnet.  On Griffiths for Rafeenan, Charlotte Johnston is listed as immediate lessor and for Tullygony the name Henry Greer. I have done all I can researching my Grahams at my level of knowledge and luck, but I'm hoping to find out who the "big land owner" was and hope that maybe the estate records for that person might offer up a wee bit more information on my Grahams. What word did they do on the estate, rent paid etc.

My 2x GG and one of his sons and daughter stayed all their lives in Rafeenan and area up until 1943, so my last hope before giving up is to see if any information was written down in the estate records,  and then try to find where the last spot where they were living in the 1930s early 1940s. All I have on the death records is the address of is Drumbin Road, Monaghan. Can't find a Drumbin Road, but maybe long gone being in the country.

Any help before I have to call it a day with my Graham ancestors is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Cheers from Canada

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Estate Landowners- Parish of Tydavnet
« Reply #1 on: Friday 17 September 21 07:50 BST (UK) »

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 17 September 21 09:34 BST (UK) »
Northern Whig, 31 Mar 1887
"Over a hundred police were engaged today in protecting the Sheriff and his bailiffs in carrying out evictions on the Tedavnet estate of the Earl of Dartrey, in the northern part of the County of Monaghan ....".

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 17 September 21 09:44 BST (UK) »
All I have on the death records is the address of is Drumbin Road, Monaghan. Can't find a Drumbin Road, but maybe long gone being in the country.

On Jane Graham's death record below, the registrar has added R D below the townland, presumably indicating Rural District (as was maybe required).

Here are the death records for Robert (her brother) and Jane-

Jane Graham 1947
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1947/04574/4208994.pdf
The informant was her son, Richard Graham.

Robert Graham 1935
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1935/04819/4297965.pdf
The informant was his niece-in-law Martha Graham.

If you don’t have this, Richard Graham married Martha Walker in 1931. He was a labourer living in Drumbinn (sic).
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1931/09016/5262512.pdf

1901 census
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Monaghan/Bellanode/Rafeenan/1637970/
Richard aged 9 was a nephew of Robert (and the son of Jane).

His birth in 1891 at Rafeenan.
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1891/02367/1883901.pdf

KG

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 17 September 21 14:47 BST (UK) »
Northern Whig, 31 Mar 1887
"Over a hundred police were engaged today in protecting the Sheriff and his bailiffs in carrying out evictions on the Tedavnet estate of the Earl of Dartrey, in the northern part of the County of Monaghan ....".

Historic Buildings of County Monaghan.
https://www.geni.com/projects/Historic-Buildings-of-County-Monaghan/29819
Look under D for Dartrey

Rockcorry
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rockcorry

KG

Offline Suemagoo

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 17 September 21 19:49 BST (UK) »
Thanks very much for all the information provided!!! The maps are a tremendous help!!! I did discover the area where the family were living in 1901 and 1911 census and the death records in the 1930s and early 1940s where the address for Robert, Jane and Richard Graham said Drumbin Road.

My 2 requests are to see if I can pinpoint the exact spot in the Town land of Drumbin where Robert, Jane and Richard lived in the 1930s-1940, but also to find out who owned the land back in the early 1800s when their Father and Mother were living in Rafeenan and Tullygony area. Thanks to this help I can now read up on the Earl of Dartrey and see what estate records are available for hopefully a chance of finding out any last snippet of information on my Grahams from back then.

Very much appreciate the help everyone. Thank you, thank you and stay safe from COVID.

Cheers,
Susan
Canada

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 17 September 21 20:26 BST (UK) »
It wasn't clear from your post the era you were interested in. Hence only posted the later reference. But there is -

Newry Telegraph, 13 Dec 1838
Extract from a letter from J Rose, Esq, Proprietor of the Tednavet Estate, County Monaghan, to Wm. Blacker, Esq, dated 15 Oct 1838.
"About 100 of my tenants this year ...."

Offline Suemagoo

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 17 September 21 23:24 BST (UK) »
Thank you Hanes teulu for the newspaper article!!!! Really fascinating about the discussions of crops, drainage etc.

Cheers,