Author Topic: Yeoman Farmers - Do They Own Land?  (Read 2135 times)

Offline PurdeyB

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Yeoman Farmers - Do They Own Land?
« on: Thursday 16 September 21 20:13 BST (UK) »
An ancestor is listed on various censuses as a farmer but I found his will recently and in that he is described as a yeoman farmer. A quick google suggests a yeoman farmer owned the land he farmed. His will deals with farm stock and implements, and his personal effects but does not mention the farm itself. This is early 19th century. Would you expect a yeoman farmer at that time to necessarily own his farm or land? Thanks.
Boutflower/Boutflour - Northumberland & County Durham
Branfoot - N Yorkshire, Northumberland & County Durham
Horwell - York, E Yorkshire & Lincolnshire
Bettley - N & W Yorkshire

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Yeoman Farmers - Do They Own Land?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 16 September 21 20:33 BST (UK) »
You didn't say where he was listed as a farmer, but I have a farmer in Co Durham and managed to track him (and whether he owned or rented the land he worked ) from 1813 to 1827 by looking at land tax assessments which showed who the landowner and occupier was from 1813 through to 1827 - the time frame for my man.

My only experience of these records was in Co Durham and the Durham Records Office catalogue was very helpful as they had transcription lists in the results, followed by (not so helpful cos it took ages but I got there in the end ) Family Search catalogue for the original records

Boo

Offline Greensleeves

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 16 September 21 20:38 BST (UK) »
The yeoman farmers in both my Suffolk and Durham family lines owned their own land.  Unfortunately, my Durham 11 x gt grandfather was sentenced to death by Elizabeth 1 for his part in The Rising of the North (1569).  As was fairly common, he and his neighbours were pardoned and his lands were confiscated. 

Regards
GS
Suffolk: Pearl(e),  Garnham, Southgate, Blo(o)mfield,Grimwood/Grimwade,Josselyn/Gosling
Durham/Yorkshire: Sedgwick/Sidgwick, Shadforth
Ireland: Davis
Norway: Torreson/Torsen/Torrison
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online youngtug

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
.http://www.rootschat.com/links/05q2/   
  WILSON;-Wiltshire.
 SOUL;-Gloucestershire.
 SANSUM;-Berkshire-Wiltshire
 BASSON-BASTON;- Berkshire,- Oxfordshire.
 BRIDGES;- Wiltshire.
 DOWDESWELL;-Wiltshire,Gloucestershire
 JORDAN;- Berkshire.
 COX;- Berkshire.
 GOUDY;- Suffolk.
 CHATFIELD;-Sussex-- London
 MORGAN;-Blaenavon-Abersychan
 FISHER;- Berkshire.
 BLOMFIELD-BLOOMFIELD-BLUMFIELD;-Suffolk.
DOVE. Essex-London
YOUNG-Berkshire
ARDEN.
PINEGAR-COLLIER-HUGHES-JEFFERIES-HUNT-MOSS-FRY

Offline PurdeyB

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 16 September 21 20:59 BST (UK) »
Thanks, Tickettyboo. My chap is from Northumberland and I hadn't thought of land tax records so I'll definitely follow that up.

You didn't say where he was listed as a farmer, but I have a farmer in Co Durham and managed to track him (and whether he owned or rented the land he worked ) from 1813 to 1827 by looking at land tax assessments which showed who the landowner and occupier was from 1813 through to 1827 - the time frame for my man.

My only experience of these records was in Co Durham and the Durham Records Office catalogue was very helpful as they had transcription lists in the results, followed by (not so helpful cos it took ages but I got there in the end ) Family Search catalogue for the original records

Boo

Offline PurdeyB

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 16 September 21 21:04 BST (UK) »
Thanks, GS. That's an interesting family story there. I've got a couple of Parliamentarians but nothing as exciting as someone condemned to death!

The yeoman farmers in both my Suffolk and Durham family lines owned their own land.  Unfortunately, my Durham 11 x gt grandfather was sentenced to death by Elizabeth 1 for his part in The Rising of the North (1569).  As was fairly common, he and his neighbours were pardoned and his lands were confiscated. 

Regards
GS

Offline PurdeyB

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 16 September 21 21:07 BST (UK) »
Thanks, Youngtug. This is very helpful. His son definitely features on the electoral register at the farm so I'll dig into that angle.

https://www.encyclopedia.com/history/modern-europe/british-and-irish-history/yeoman

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 17 September 21 12:45 BST (UK) »
Did your farmer occupy the land at the time of the tithe assessments in England which happened  1837- early 1850s? Tenants and landowner of each parcel of land were recorded. Maps showing each field accompany written records. County archives may hold originals. They are on The Genealogist. Article here: 
https://www.thegenealogist.co.uk/tithe/

Some of my ancestors in Lancashire were yeomen farmers. They were tenants on long leases (usually leases for 3 lives) with security of tenure. They were able to pass the lease on to their heir(s). Wills of some mention leases. They were tenants of the lord of the manor from late 1500s (estate records in reign of Queen Elizabeth) to 1820s. Prior to mid 1500s they would have been tenants of the local priory which was owned by Durham Cathedral. 
Cowban

Offline melba_schmelba

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 17 September 21 14:31 BST (UK) »
Did your farmer occupy the land at the time of the tithe assessments in England which happened in 1837- early 1850s? Tenants and landowner of each parcel of land were recorded. Maps showing each field accompany written records. County archives may hold originals. They are on The Genealogist. Article here: 
https://www.thegenealogist.co.uk/tithe/

Some of my ancestors in Lancashire were yeomen farmers. They were tenants on long leases (usually leases for 3 lives) with security of tenure. They were able to pass the lease on to their heir(s). Wills of some mention leases. They were tenants of the lord of the manor from late 1500s (estate records in reign of Queen Elizabeth) to 1820s. Prior to mid 1500s they would have been tenants of the local priory which was owned by Durham Cathedral.
Yes I have found similarly, that yeoman farmers didn't necessarily own freeholds, but they did have long leaseholds of maybe 100 years which were inherited by successive generations of the family. Below yeoman I think were husbandman, who probably paid short term rents or gave a certain amount of their produce to the freeholder. Then below that you had graziers who probably just had a few animals which they would graze on the common land or whatever land they could get away with putting them on! In Scotland, with the crofters, I think it was one tactic of the landlords to withdraw the ability to pay with produce and only accept cash rents which forced many out during the Lowland and Highland clearances.