Author Topic: 12th Regiment of Foot in Isle de Bourbon 1813 - John Renshaw  (Read 117 times)

Offline hwlambert

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
12th Regiment of Foot in Isle de Bourbon 1813 - John Renshaw
« on: Friday 17 September 21 01:01 BST (UK) »
I am looking for the service and marriage record of John Renshaw who was stationed in Isle Bourbon during 1813. Where should I look for marriage records for him. He stated he “married on 11 Nov 1813 to Sarah Wilson at the Isle of Bourbon by the Chaplain of the Island according to the ceremonies of the Church of England”. He may also have had a daughter Eliza born in 1815 born in Isle Bourbon.
Any suggestions please.
Heather

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 12th Regiment of Foot in Isle de Bourbon 1813 - John Renshaw
« Reply #1 on: Friday 17 September 21 03:06 BST (UK) »
I believe that the Isle of Bourbon is now called Reunion, so here might be a start?

https://www.rootschat.com/links/01qxn/

I don't know how I got there, or why the Territory is called Meeting, but when you open up the individual files the registers do say Isle of Bourbon.  I have zero French, so I'll leave it to you to see if there's anything useful!

EDIT: On second thoughts, as it specifically says Church of England then the Chaplain may well have been the army chaplain, so these registers are probably useless.  Oh well, I tried  :(
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham. North Yorkshire.  JACKSON: East Yorks, North Yorks, Durham. TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 17 September 21 08:00 BST (UK) »
Service record (not much was retained in those days - just the discharge papers):

On FindMyPast:
https://search.findmypast.co.uk/record?id=GBM%2FWO119%2F0048%2F000_516&parentid=GBM%2FWO119%2F31919
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline hwlambert

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 17 September 21 08:44 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that information, I will take a look. I was thinking the marriage may be included in the army marriage records but I can't find it. Any suggestions where to look for the army marriage records. I will have a look at the records from Isle Bourbon (Reunion). I don't speak french but I can look for the names Renshaw and Wilson.
Thanks again
Heather