Author Topic: Miles (Myles) Sweeney and family Ireland Lancashire and USA  (Read 965 times)

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Miles (Myles) Sweeney and family Ireland Lancashire and USA
« Reply #9 on: Friday 17 September 21 11:56 BST (UK) »

Margaret Miles Rosanna Mary John Sarah Charles 2nf Mary Daniel and 2nd Rosanna
I have Miles Sweeney married to Amelia Parkingson in 1976 Bolton and they had at least one daughter Edith Parkinson Sweeney

From Lancashire BMD:

Marriages index 1876
SWEENEY Miles J.
PARKINSON Amelia
Bolton Register Office or Registrar Attended

("Registrar Attended" is when a registrar was present at a wedding in a non-Anglican church.)

Births index:
1877 SWEENEY Edith P. ; Mother's maiden surname PARKINSON; Sub-district  Eastern Bolton

There were 8 Sweeney births registered in Prescot district in the 25 years after the wedding of Miles & Amelia. Mother's maiden surnames aren't shown on index for Prescot on Lancashire BMD for those years.
1878 Kate; 1881 Margaret; 1883 John; 1886 Thomas; 1887 James; 1889 Joseph; 1892 Michael; 1894 William; 1897 Annie.

Sorry if this repeats information already found. Trying to clarify which Sweeney families were in Bolton, Prescot and Wigan and when. 

Cowban

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 17 September 21 12:22 BST (UK) »
You write:

“ Charles 1834; Mar 1837;  Michael 1839; Miles 1846 (and possibly others)”

Do you have those children’s births?

http://www.lancashirebmd.org.uk/

Miles b 1846, Bolton - mother’s name Cox

https://www.lan-opc.org.uk/
Charles Sweeney married Anne Cox, 1843, St Peter, Bolton.
His father, Patrick

Children’s baptisms on that site, including Miles in 1846.
A child Mary Anne b 1844 has Godparents ‘Mils’ Sweeney and Bridget Kennedy

Do you know if "Mar 1837" was Mary or Margaret or Martin or ... ?

Mary Ann's baptism 1844 has mother's maiden surname transcribed as LOCK on Lancashire Online Parish Clerks website.
Miles baptism 1846 has godmother transcribed as Ann FOX. Should it be COX?
Another child has Christopher COX as godfather.
Cowban

Offline windsor26

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 18 September 21 01:17 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your investigations and the confirmation of some of the details I had together with others I did not
It is probable that the mis reading of Lock and Fox should be Cox in both instances but this happens a lot.
The god parents names are family names but the Anne CVo0x for Miles I do not have anywhere except his own mother so that needs a hunt.
The Kennedy family are linked also with the cox and Smyth family as well  I do have a Bridget Kennedy sister fof Rose Anna who married Daniel Cox (my Great Grandfather I think)
I have a query about info I have and that you proven.
We have Miles born 1846 and have his christening but I also have a Margaret born 1846 Mar in Bolton - unless they were twins this does not compute
Lots now to add to my children of Miles and obviously where I was worried about an Alexander being shown as Charles Sweeney's father I can ignore this
Thanks again everyone  Yvonne

Offline windsor26

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 18 September 21 04:15 BST (UK) »
The investigations I have done since your messages show that the children mentioned in the 25 years after Miles James' marriage would not be theirs as Amelia died in Jun 1879
I have tried various census records to find the family with Kate in it as it was the least normal name but she has a father John  - I do not think it is Miles brother John as the dates of his birth do not fit those of the Father John who has Kate and others in his census i am ignoring them for the time being.
It is so much better in these modern times that parents chose different and sometimes strange names for their children - saves a lot of confusion

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 18 September 21 04:39 BST (UK) »

We have Miles born 1846 and have his christening but I also have a Margaret born 1846 Mar in Bolton - unless they were twins this does not compute
Lots now to add to my children of Miles and obviously where I was worried about an Alexander being shown as Charles Sweeney's father I can ignore this
Thanks again everyone  Yvonne

1851 2199/938/22
Charles and Ann have (plus others)

Margt 6 yrs. (transcribed on one site as 5 yrs)
Miles 5 yrs
Rosana 3 yrs

It looks as though ‘Margt’ is Mary Ann born and baptised 1844.
There are death and burial records in 1857 -  Mary Ann Sweeney, 13 yrs (may be her)

I just noticed there are these two births Sweeney/Cox
Charles - 1854
Charles 1856

There are death and burial records for Charles Sweeney, 13 months in 1855
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 18 September 21 04:45 BST (UK) »
The investigations I have done since your messages show that the children mentioned in the 25 years after Miles James' marriage would not be theirs as Amelia died in Jun 1879
I have tried various census records to find the family with Kate in it as it was the least normal name but she has a father John  - I do not think it is Miles brother John as the dates of his birth do not fit those of the Father John who has Kate and others in his census i am ignoring them for the time being.
It is so much better in these modern times that parents chose different and sometimes strange names for their children - saves a lot of confusion

Those Prescot born children seem to be the children of John Sweeney and Mary Gilligan married 1877, Prescot.

There are lots of Sweeneys around  ;)

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline windsor26

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 18 September 21 08:08 BST (UK) »
Thank you again  It seems the first Charles died just before the replacement Charles was born  (I hate this don't you)  One of my families has 5 John's and they all died   Ugh!!

I was reluctant to just accept the John Sweeney and Mary Gilligan family as that John was born a few years later and I am not sure where he fits in
Onwards and upwards   Thanks everyone

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 18 September 21 14:44 BST (UK) »

I have Margaret Cox's  sister Anne married to Charles Sweeney in 1843 Bolton  They had 10 children Miles being one of them

Doing a recap on Sweeney/Sweeny birth registrations in Bolton with mother's maiden surname Cox.
From GRO births index.
https://www.gro.gov.uk
1844 Mary Ann
1846 Miles
1847 Rosanna
1849 Maria
1853 Sarah
1854 Charles
1856 Charles
That's 7 of 10.
 I noticed another which was presumably Daniel but initial letter was wrong and there was no mother's maiden surname.

Other Sweeney families registering births in Bolton with mothers' maiden surnames Banks, Devers (+variants) and Duffy.
Cowban

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 18 September 21 15:15 BST (UK) »

I have Margaret Cox's  sister Anne married to Charles Sweeney in 1843 Bolton  They had 10 children Miles being one of them

Doing a recap on Sweeney/Sweeny birth registrations in Bolton with mother's maiden surname Cox.
From GRO births index.
https://www.gro.gov.uk

Found more* since my previous reply. Total so far is 12. Did they definitely all belong to the same parents?
1844 Mary
1846 Miles
1847 Rosanna
1849 Maria
1853 Sarah
1854 Charles
1856 Charles
*1858 Mary
*1860 Daniel (indexed as Baniel on GRO, no mother's maiden surname)
*1861 Ann
*1863 John (no mother's maiden surname)  :-\
*1865 Rosanna
I'm not sure about John 1863. John on your list is between a Mary and Sarah. Is the list in chronological order? In that case there should be a birth registration for John between 1849 and 1853.
Cowban