Author Topic: Children of Henry Jones abt 1810  (Read 563 times)

Offline ianocon

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Children of Henry Jones abt 1810
« on: Friday 17 September 21 05:26 BST (UK) »
Henry Jones married Mary Davies (David) in Llanartheny  6/10/1827
I am trying to complete records for their nine children.
Using ages estimated from census returns where the children were all stated as born Llannon I have
David 1828
Mary 1830
John 1832
Ann 1834
William 1837
Daniel 1841 (have cert for him born 24/11/1841 Penyrheol Llannon
Eleazor 1843 (have cert for him born 20/3/1843 Penyrheol Llannon
Thomas 1845 ( Have cert for him 29/8/1845 born Penyrheol Llannon
Elizabeth 1852
I can't find the others and wonder if the earlier births were perhaps not in Llannon
Can anyone help with the remaining birth dates and places please
O'Connell, Frost, Marshall, Jones

Offline Br1gau

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Children of Henry Jones abt 1810
« Reply #1 on: Friday 17 September 21 09:09 BST (UK) »
BAPTISMS

John son of Henry Jones, a Smith and Mary of Cwm Mynydd mawr, Llannon 3rd March 1828

Mary daughter of Henry Jones, a Smith, and Mary of Penyrheol, Llannon 18th August 1830

John, son of Henry Jones, a Smith and Mary of Penyrheol Llannon 26 March 1833

* can't see a burial for John 1828

Offline ianocon

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 18 September 21 01:54 BST (UK) »
Thanks very much Br1gau
Can you tell me where you found these - it might help me search for others
Also I am puzzled about the first John 1828. I see you looked for death presumably because of the later John birth. Can I just check with you that first John finding? Is there any way of corroborating that it was a John?
I ask this because from the 41 census return there is a David age 13 (so born 1827/8) in Henry's family and I thought I had found him age 32 (b.Llannon) in 1861 living at Smith Shop Berwick Llanelly and then again age 42 (b. Llannon) in 1871 as a blacksmith at Hendy Road, Gwilly Inn, Llanedy. Also possibly as a boarder b. Llannon in Llanelly in 1851.
I've been looking up Cwm Mynydd mawr to see if that gave any clues but there is a Care Home called that there now - who knows what it was in 1828.
Thanks again
Ian

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 18 September 21 07:49 BST (UK) »
FindMyPast have register images for Llannon,  the 1828 baptism is definitely John.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Br1gau

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 18 September 21 18:13 BST (UK) »
Yes, those records came from findmypast.  I couldn’t see any others.

Looking at the birthplace for John 1828 I think Cwm is the property and Mynyddmawr the district.   There is such a place as Cwm showing on the NLS maps with the Llanelly & Mynyddmawr Railway running close by.  In the 1840s – 50s it was a 70 acre farm leased to the Gwendraeth Iron Company with Thomas Jenkins as  tenant in 1841.  Cwm is more or less centre of the map near the first L in LLANELLY, link here: https://maps.nls.uk/view/102179762

Following those census returns for David Jones b1828 you posted, I tend to think he is likely the same person as John b1828 – could be an error in the record or perhaps his parents simply changed their minds?  There are so many similarities; same occupation, same birth place and also David naming his first son Robert HENRY Jones [GRO 4Q 1851 folio 26, page 624 Llanelly.]  FindMyPast have this record showing his mother’s mn as Evans.  Remembering David was unmarried at the time of the 1851 census brings up a marriage 1851 2Q folio 26, page 950 Llanelly with David Jones and Elizabeth Evans on the same page.

I have left it too late to amend post #1 but ‘John’ was baptised 14 March 1828 not March 3.  The snip is from that record

Offline ianocon

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 19 September 21 23:35 BST (UK) »
Thanks Br1gau
I've found Cwm - in the right area and the district thought fits with the snip.
I hadn't thought of idea that parents might change their minds! To add some credibility it's perhaps worth noting that Henry's father was a David Jones. Perhaps he got miffed that Henry wasn't following the custom of naming first born son after his own father and objected! Whatever, I'm going to work on the basis that the first John and David are the same person.
I've been pursuing the other children and am disconcerted that there is a second earlier Daniel baptised in Llanartheny Parish 23/1/1831 son of Henry Jones and Mary Davies - he of Cwmcoch and she of Trallwm. Identical parents names and both names stated which (am I right?) suggests they weren't married?
My Henry and Mary were definitely married in Llanartheny 6/10/1827
Can there really have been another Henry and Mary with same surnames in Llanartheny at the same time?
Ouch! all seems confusing
Ian