Author Topic: Alexander Stewart born c1899  (Read 675 times)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Alexander Stewart born c1899
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 19 September 21 12:09 BST (UK) »
Do we know for sure that Margaret Stewart (and son) actually went to Canada?
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Sunday 19 September 21 12:33 BST (UK) »
I haven't been able to find outgoing or incoming UK-Canada passenger list entries for any of them yet.

As an aside, one of the witnesses to the 1923 marriage of Alexander Stuart to Margaret Gray of 119 Millfield was a John Gray (I assumed the 8 year old in the census return posted at reply #6). A church transcript of a marriage in St. Patrick's Belfast on 26 December 1929 shows John Gray marrying Mary Pratt, John's address was recorded as 119 Millfield and his parents given as Terence Gray and Cath Ward, Mary Pratt's address at the time of marriage was 13 Moffett Street and her parents given as Thomas Pratt and Mary O'Reilly. The two witnesses were Joseph Patrick Pinucci and... Brigid Hutchinson of 119 Millfield (presumably, the Brigid who went on to marry Charles Davey).

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Sunday 19 September 21 12:47 BST (UK) »
I suspect that Margaret & son stayed in Belfast while husband Alexander scuttled off to Canada or somewhere but perhaps OP has more details. Margaret seems to have been carrying on business in Belfast under her own name from 1934-1944.

Belfast Telegraph, 17 Nov.1934: MONEYLENDERS ACT (N. 14, INS. NOTICE OF APPLICATION FOR CERTIFICATE UNDER SECTION 2. NOTICE IS HEREBY GIVEN THAT I, MARGARET STEWART, do intend to apply to the Resident Magistrate at the Petty Sessions for the District of Belfast on the 4th day of December ...

Belfast Telegraph, 17 Dec.1938: ... for a Certificate to enable me to obtain an Excise Licence to carry on the business of Moneylender at 119 Millfield, Belfast, in the County of the City of Belfast, in the name of Margaret Stewart. Dated this 16th day of December, 1938...
Also similar newspaper notice in 1935.

Belfast Telegraph, 8 Feb.1944: ... Court on a charge of having stolen two horses. a spring van, and two sets of harness. valued at belonging to Mrs. Margaret Stewart, Millfield. Bail was allowed.

Belfast Telegraph, 17 Feb.1944: ... For stealing two horses, two vans, and two sets of harness valued at _, the property of Mrs. Margaret Stewart, general dealer, Millfield, Francis M'llvogue (34), of Upper Library Street, and Patrick M'Donnell, of Jamaica Street, were each sentenced ...

Also- in Belfast 1955-
Northern Whig, 26 Oct.1955: ... rag dealer, Alexander Street, was also sent for trial, charged with breaking and entering the store of Margaret Stewart, Millfield, and stealing a quantity of rags valued at 4.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Sunday 19 September 21 12:55 BST (UK) »
119 Millfield from Belfast directories-
1947- Hutchinson, Catherine, dealer https://www.lennonwylie.co.uk/mcomplete1947_b.htm
1951- Margaret Stewart, dealer https://www.lennonwylie.co.uk/mcomplete1951_b.htm
1960- vacant https://www.lennonwylie.co.uk/mcomplete1960_b.htm

See also reply #21 for details gaffy posted

Offline Dean Wells

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Monday 20 September 21 04:21 BST (UK) »
Hello and once again thank you all for your hard work,Alexander really is a mystery,21 Rockmore road is the correct address,I know many of my family have lived there over the years and still do,Margaret adopted a girl many years ago,Marie,who still lives at the house,but only knows as much as me about her family.
    I do believe Alexander went alone to Canada to find work,he did indeed die in Montreal,he was working on the railroads there,the 1944 death indeed seems correct.
    I am sorry about the religion,I cannot say I understand it all,Alexander son,my grandad Terence Leo stewart was a Roman Catholic,he married in a Roman Catholic church in Kidderminster,England and all his children were bought up the same,thank you all so much again for your time and effort.Dean

Offline Kloumann

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Monday 20 September 21 08:34 BST (UK) »
Looking at the Alexander, whose father, William was a Cooper up until 1911. William was born 1867, son of Alexander, also a Cooper. He married Sophia in 1893. William was still alive to at least 1921. Either he changed his occupation or the 'farmer' is a red herring.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Monday 20 September 21 11:23 BST (UK) »
I am sorry about the religion,I cannot say I understand it all,Alexander son,my grandad Terence Leo stewart was a Roman Catholic,he married in a Roman Catholic church in Kidderminster,England and all his children were bought up the same
It was most likely a mixed marriage (Alexander's marriage gives his occupation as 'Special Constable' so it's more likely he was Protestant). He could have converted in order to marry in a Catholic Church and his son would have been raised as Catholic (as seems to have been the case). If Alexander & his wife separated soon after the marriage & she raised the child then she certainly would have raised him as a Catholic.

Offline Kloumann

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Monday 20 September 21 12:37 BST (UK) »
The Alexander from Ballybrick is a possibility. Born 1896, father, William, farmer. Presbyterian.

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • 'She was fine when she left here'
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Monday 20 September 21 12:52 BST (UK) »
Researching: Cuthbertson Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter Co. Derry; Jackson Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott Co. Derry; Neilly Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy Co. Antrim; Nixon Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble Co. Sligo