Author Topic: Ancestry's Ethnicity Update Is Finally Here - Share Yours!  (Read 3836 times)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Ancestry's Ethnicity Update Is Finally Here - Share Yours!
« Reply #9 on: Friday 17 September 21 20:37 BST (UK) »
Ohio would be what ethnic group?  Shawnee?  Kickapoo?  Iroquois?

Goodness knows.  They reckon that I match with some descendants of the early settlers, so they've used that!!

Their definition of 'ethnicity' is very different from mine. 

Add - this is what they say:

Ohio, Indiana & Eastern Kentucky Settlers

1,379,017 AncestryDNA members

You, and all the members of this community, are linked through shared ancestors. You probably have family who lived in this area for years—and maybe still do.

The more specific places within this region where your family was likely from.
South Central Ohio Settlers
Southeastern Ohio & Northwestern West Virginia Settlers
Ross County, Ohio Settlers
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 17 September 21 20:39 BST (UK) »
I've just remembered that I shared a flat with Beth from Ohio when I was at university. Do you think that's it??

Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline DonM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 17 September 21 20:54 BST (UK) »
Gadget, only if you shared a toothbrush or took a sip from the same glass or bottle as Beth and hadn't brushed since you submitted the sample.

Don
I have turned off all email notifications, thank you.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 17 September 21 21:00 BST (UK) »
I've just checked my 23&Me distribution, which has been accurate for various health, etc. features and matches.

They reckon I'm 99.6% British and Irish, 0.2% Iranian, Mesopotamian. 0.2 North African. 

Offline Galium

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 17 September 21 21:29 BST (UK) »
Well, I'm a bit Swedish again.

Still have a puzzle over Welshness.  One great grandmother was Welsh; previous estimate was 14% and now it's 6%, but I remain part of the Wales ethnic community.  Ggrandma was Mum's grandma. Mum's Welsh estimate has gone up to 44% from 23%, but she continues  to be unadmitted to the Wales ethnic community.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Keitht

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 17 September 21 22:18 BST (UK) »

Would be interested to hear how everyone else's ancestry estimate has changed and whether it has become more or less accurate!

Going back two incarnations of Ancestry ethnicity estimate I was 95% English, 3% Scandinavian and 2% other European countries. Then came the last update. Suddenly my Englishness dropped to 73%, I lost my Scandinavian and, by some minor miracle, became 25% Scottish, retaining the 2% other European countries.

Having traced both my paternal and maternal ancrestry back to the 1600s in Warwickshire and Leicestershire without a hint of even a visit to Scotland by any family member I was utterly dismissive of such an estimate and had decided that Ancestry was 100% unreliable in such matters. Now I'm not so sure.

The latest estimate shows me with

England and northwest Europe 76%, with the strongest connections, as I would have expected, to the W Midlands.
Scotland 14%.
Sweden and Denmark 9%,
Norway 1%

It is interesting to note that the reduction in the Scottish element is almost exactly the same as the increase in the Norse content, leading me to wonder whether the earlier 25% Scottish estimate might have more correctly reflected Viking ancestors who arrived in the Midlands via Scotland. If so, where are their Scottish descendants and how did they migrate to the Midlands?

Keith

Offline Ayashi

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • William Wood, who was your mother??
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 17 September 21 22:49 BST (UK) »
My mother is, on paper, majority English, then Welsh, with some Scottish further generations back. According to her new DNA, she is now 43% Scots, 34% Welsh, 23% English. Got the countries right, but percentage-wise I call shenanigans.

Offline Manchester Rambler

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 17 September 21 23:06 BST (UK) »
It's puzzling. My Scottish percentage has gone up to 49%, Irish 27% (similar) and English 14% (down). I have 4 English g-grandparents (with paper trail and DNA matches all firmly in England for earlier generations), one g-granddfather from Mayo and 2 g-grandparents from Antrim (probably included in the "Scottish" element) plus one "unknown", so it doesn't really add up for me.  ??? ???
(My English families are from Cheshire, Staffordshire, Shropshire and Somerset, so hardly the Scottish borders!) Apart from that, I have 6% Norwegian, 2% Swedish/Danish and 2% Welsh....

MyFamilyTreeDNA gives 53% England/Scotland/Wales, 44% Ireland and 4% Scandinavia.
ANT: Nesbit, Potts; CHS: Gosling (Hazel Grove/Lymm), Hinton (Lymm), Johnson (Hazel Grove), Marsland (Hazel Grove), Massey (Daresbury), Sorton (Warmingham); LAN: Jackson, James, Potts (Manchester/Salford); MAY: Caulfield, Griffin (Leveelick); SAL: Goodwin, Johnson (Bridgnorth), Gregory (Wellington); STS: Goodwin, Gregory, Johnson (Wolverhampton); Hallett (Trysull); SOM: Dowding, James, Jones (Bath)

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline millofski

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 17 September 21 23:25 BST (UK) »
Seem to have gone from:

23% England & Northwestern Europe, 21% Sweden, 21% Scotland, 16% Norway, 12% Wales, 5% Ireland, 2% Baltics

To:

29% Sweden & Denmark, 26% Scotland, 15 % England & Northwestern Europe, 14% Wales, 10% Norway, 3% Baltics, 3% Ireland