Author Topic: Mciver  (Read 1534 times)

Offline atf1945

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Mciver
« on: Sunday 19 September 21 09:18 BST (UK) »
Hi All from me in Australia,
Looking (hoping) for info on Charles Mciver  (born about 1800) - lived in Ardtrea, County Tyrone, Ireland (in those days) around 1800s.   He had land (unsure if leased, rented or owned in Ardtrea).
Thanks,   Arthur

Offline shanreagh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Mciver
« Reply #1 on: Monday 20 September 21 02:32 BST (UK) »
Hello and welcome to Rootschat from across the Tasman!

What info do you have already?

Spouse
Children
Death? 

Have you looked on Groffiths valuation and have you searched using a variety of spellings?  Macivor Maciver etc
http://www.askaboutireland.ie/griffith-valuation/

These are useful sites

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/
https://www.irishgenealogy.ie/en/
https://www.familysearch.org/search/

Offline atf1945

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 20 September 21 23:28 BST (UK) »
Hi Shanreagh, Looks like the Rootschat is not particularly intuitive nor simple to follow!
I thought that I had given a reply to your message, but "support" indicated that what I had done was incorrect.   If this attempt does not get through to you and/or "Support" gets involved again, then I will just forget about using Rootschat.

However in response to your response regarding Charles McIver - I am very grateful for your help, and will redo my response.

I live in Australia, but was born in Belfast, Northern Ireland (I find the Ireland or Northern Ireland is very important, since Northern Ireland did not exist before 1922 - when the English government carried out the splitting of Ireland).

Back to Charles McIver - I have a copy of a little book created by a friend (well a distant relative) who was a Granddaughter (or maybe Great Granddaughter of Charles),   but the information has been produced from her family exposure and memories).

The booklet gives Charles birth as about 1800, and marriage about 1820, and often mentions Ardtrea in County Tyrone.

The booklet indicates that Charles married Mary (2 possible  surnames - either Cunningham or Hutchinson - I have not been able to verify either dates nor surnames).

Children - From what I have found there are 5 children - Roseanne born 1823, Sarah and Hugh born 1829, Charles 1842 and Eliza 1845.  The last 2 seem to be considerably later, and I am wondering if I have them in the wrong place.

Death - no dates, but the booklet indicates that he died in Ardtrea and buried in Atrdtrea Cemetery, but I  cannot find any verification of these facts nor dates.

Yes I have tried Griffiths Valuation, but not found any information on Charles.   Although the booklet indicates that he had some land (just over 11 acres), but no indication of whether he owned or rented??

I have tried the variants of surname spelling, I do know that one of the McIvers changed the name to McIvor (three or 4 generations after Charles' time).

I am familiar with the other suggested genealogy sites - I have been tracing my own parents and their families for several years   (they are Freeman and McCone).

Hope this is relatively clear to follow, and again thanks for contacting me and (with a bit of luck) helping me.
Thanks,  Arthur

Offline liscoole

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Mary Hall nee Nevins 28-9-1914 - 16-3-2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 02 October 21 11:00 BST (UK) »
Hi Arthur
I have McIvor in my family tree too, I’ve only tracked them to Co Antrim though.
I did a search on the site below for Hugh McIvor and Charles McIvor and the Dungannon registry office has a few entries for both names which might give you something to start with.
The church records for Artrea are held in the Public records office in Belfast, they have not been digitised. You would need to get someone to go in and look at them for you.

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/civil-search.jsp

(Above link to Irish BDM registrations- free to view)

Good luck

Liscoole

MAGEE (Dungannon Tyrone to Shankill Belfast, to Whitehouse Co Antrim,) HALL (Lisnaskea, Fermanagh to Yan Yean, Melbourne Australia) McIVOR (Whitehouse, Co Antrim), McCULLOUGH (Markethill, Armagh), DEMPSTER (Ballymena, Co Antrim to Belfast), CUMMING (Glasgow), EVANS (Llandysill, Montgomeryshire to Belfast), NEVIN/ NEVINS (Ballynahinch, Co Down to Belfast), EMMS (Kingston Upon Thames, Surrey), HURREY (Yan Yean, Whittlesea, Melbourne), FINLAY- Jane, of Co Down, m James McIvor 1867. HOBSON Tyrone

Offline atf1945

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 04 October 21 01:41 BST (UK) »
Hi Liscoole,  Very many thanks for your reply, I have just chased up the email address for Dungannon Registry Office, and will contact them this week.   I live in Victoria, Australia, and getting to these places is somewhat difficult right now.
However the Person(s) I would like to start with and find out about is Charles Mciver (and yes I understand that it could be McIvor, or combinations of Mckever).  AS I understand it the surname was changed to McIvor 2 or maybe 3 generations after Charles.   I will see what I can find out.
Again, Thanks,  Arthur

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 04 October 21 07:55 BST (UK) »

Civil registration of births, Catholic marriages & deaths started in 1864 (from 1845 for Protestant & Registry office marriages). So, before those dates church records (if they exist) will need to be found. To do so you'll need an idea of location (parish if not actual townland) and religion. Not all churches have records before civil registration dates and of those that do not all are online. In general, only the Church of Ireland kept burial registers although you might be lucky and find some elsewhere.

Have a look at these two topics-
https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=442233.0
https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=498742.0

KG

Note:
The Registrar registers births, deaths and marriages, and performs marriages and civil partnerships in the Mid Ulster District.​
https://www.midulstercouncil.org/registration
Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline liscoole

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Mary Hall nee Nevins 28-9-1914 - 16-3-2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 04 October 21 15:41 BST (UK) »
Hi
As Kiltaglassan says births and deaths were only registered from 1864 onwards, I should have clarified that the records from the GRO would probably only have been deaths or perhaps marriages to fit in with the time frames you have given. There would be no birth registration for births that early.

Do you know what religion they may have been?

MAGEE (Dungannon Tyrone to Shankill Belfast, to Whitehouse Co Antrim,) HALL (Lisnaskea, Fermanagh to Yan Yean, Melbourne Australia) McIVOR (Whitehouse, Co Antrim), McCULLOUGH (Markethill, Armagh), DEMPSTER (Ballymena, Co Antrim to Belfast), CUMMING (Glasgow), EVANS (Llandysill, Montgomeryshire to Belfast), NEVIN/ NEVINS (Ballynahinch, Co Down to Belfast), EMMS (Kingston Upon Thames, Surrey), HURREY (Yan Yean, Whittlesea, Melbourne), FINLAY- Jane, of Co Down, m James McIvor 1867. HOBSON Tyrone

Offline atf1945

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 04 October 21 22:39 BST (UK) »
Hi again, 
The Mciver Family Booklet (created by one of the Mcivers who was born a couple of generations after Charles)  suggests that 6 Mciver brothers left Scotland in the 17th Century.  The implication is that they were on the losing side of a war - perhaps the Covenanters War?? which would suggest Protestant religion - but I am not sure.  The six brothers settled in groups of 2 in each of 3 counties in Ireland (of which Tyrone was one).
However I am not getting anywhere with my searching and think it is time to put the Family tree stuff away and get on with my life (as well as we can in Victoria, we still have about another month in the current Covid lockdown).

I did contact the Dungannon Registry, but they were unable to provide anything at all.

So very many thanks for your help and information, and good luck with your searches.

Arthur

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 05 October 21 15:46 BST (UK) »
I'm a bit confused about how Dungannon Registry Office/Registration District comes into this as Artrea Civil Parish comes under Cookstown District- however there's no point in contacting them either as they do not hold pre-registration records.
https://thecore.com/seanruad/
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!