Author Topic: Where were 'Oxford Buildings' BRISTOL 1841, 51, 61  (Read 1248 times)

guest259648

Re: Where were 'Oxford Buildings' BRISTOL 1841, 51, 61
« Reply #27 on: Monday 20 September 21 07:24 BST (UK) »
Sorry. My following “quote” didn’t work - getting error messages and very slow, so I hope this makes sense. Previously I wrote:

Getting warmer:

https://maps.bristol.gov.uk/kyp/?edition=&maptype=js

Many of those places are close to Oxford Buildings. It may be that the unnamed pink row of buildings  on Oxford Place is Oxford Buildings, or maybe they were on Oxford Street.  :-\

I note that this link didn’t take you to where I intended it to.  :-\

If you scroll around to find the right area of the map, then select Ashmead 1855 (or 1874) from the ‘basemaps’ option on the panel on the right, then move the slider/overlay across the maps, you will see St Thomas Place.

On the 1851 census the enumerator went to St Thomas Place, then Tribunal Cottages, then Oxford Buildings.

NNW of St Thomas Place you can see a pink row of buildings. I wonder if these might be Tribunal Cottages?

Beyond that there is Oxford Place and and Oxford Street. There are no pink buildings marked on Oxford Street. I have no idea if this is significant or not.

It seems logical (perhaps), that the enumerator may have gone to Oxford Place after Tribunal Cottages, as he would then come to Barton Road, which as a main road, may be limit of his enumeration district.

I’ve seen enumerator’s rotes that windy wind all over the place, so anything other than the logical route is possible.  :)

Ruskie
Thank you for your great detective work.

Oxford Buildings: Do you think I could pin it down (more or less) as "a row of properties at the bottom of Oxford Road (nearest the new railway tracks), adjacent to Oxford Place, very close to the point where the top of Kilboar Street meets Barton Road?"

I had thought of following through the occupants of Oxford Buildings, to see where they are in the next census...

D

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Monday 20 September 21 07:41 BST (UK) »
It’s hard to pinpoint the precise location unfortunately.

It might be worth following a resident or two of Oxford Buildings through later censuses.

I haven’t looked at the enumerator’s routes which include Oxford Buildings in later censuses, but they might also give further clues, such as naming streets, or pubs which you might be able to find on maps.

For example, I noticed that “Royal Oak” was mentioned on the 1851 census in relation to York Place -:“York Place (back of Royal Oak)”, and “Marsh Lane Royal Oak” was also an address in 1851. With a bit of luck you might find something similar closer to Oxford Buildings on later censuses.

If you can find a name or two of people who live at Oxford Buildings in the 1861 and later censuses, let me know. I’ll be happy to look at the enumerator’s route for any possible clues.   :)

guest259648

« Reply #29 on: Monday 20 September 21 09:43 BST (UK) »
It’s hard to pinpoint the precise location unfortunately.

It might be worth following a resident or two of Oxford Buildings through later censuses.

I haven’t looked at the enumerator’s routes which include Oxford Buildings in later censuses, but they might also give further clues, such as naming streets, or pubs which you might be able to find on maps.

For example, I noticed that “Royal Oak” was mentioned on the 1851 census in relation to York Place -:“York Place (back of Royal Oak)”, and “Marsh Lane Royal Oak” was also an address in 1851. With a bit of luck you might find something similar closer to Oxford Buildings on later censuses.

If you can find a name or two of people who live at Oxford Buildings in the 1861 and later censuses, let me know. I’ll be happy to look at the enumerator’s route for any possible clues.   :)

Ruskie
Kind of you! You're very skilled.
I'll hunt for names in later censuses and I'll write back later today, with (hopefully) results which can be chased up.

D x

Offline locksmith

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Monday 20 September 21 12:48 BST (UK) »
William Hawkins is at no. 3 Oxford Buildings in 1851, his address is givens as just Oxford Road in 1861 (no number) and as no. 3 Oxford Road in 1871. I don't think he has moved. In 1871 no. 3 Oxford road is described as being south Oxford road. The ennumerator sequence is the same as 1851 and this address is again following Tribune place (now showing as tribune cottages).

I don't think you are going to get any closer than the houses on the south side of Oxford Road ie on the south side of the road opposite where it shows Oxford Place on the 1855 and 1874 maps.

Simon

guest259648

« Reply #31 on: Monday 20 September 21 13:20 BST (UK) »
William Hawkins is at no. 3 Oxford Buildings in 1851, his address is givens as just Oxford Road in 1861 (no number) and as no. 3 Oxford Road in 1871. I don't think he has moved. In 1871 no. 3 Oxford road is described as being south Oxford road. The ennumerator sequence is the same as 1851 and this address is again following Tribune place (now showing as tribune cottages).

I don't think you are going to get any closer than the houses on the south side of Oxford Road ie on the south side of the road opposite where it shows Oxford Place on the 1855 and 1874 maps.

Simon

Simon
Thank you for following this through.
There would be no need for William Hawkins to move from one house to another, would there. So it's reasonable to assume that he stayed put.

So perhaps 'Oxford Buildings' just became part of Oxford Road... the south side... the lower end, next to the railway.

Well, that's good enough for me! and it strengthens the research I'd already done, for the issue I'm investigating.
So I'll leave it there, satisfied, and I thank you Simon, and thanks too to everyone who has contributed.
A successful outcome.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Tuesday 21 September 21 08:34 BST (UK) »
I tend to agree with Simon’s logic.  :)

guest259648

« Reply #33 on: Tuesday 21 September 21 08:46 BST (UK) »
I tend to agree with Simon’s logic.  :)

Good.
Ruskie, I respect your opinion.
You've all taught me sufficient about the location of Oxford Buildings for me to be able to trust some other details I have.

Very happy and pleased.
D x