Author Topic: Publican/Beerhouse keeper  (Read 480 times)

Offline algy

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Publican/Beerhouse keeper
« on: Sunday 19 September 21 16:42 BST (UK) »
I have a name William Greaves 50 years old born at Liverpool 1850 who between 1901 and 1911 was described on the census of those years as a beer house keeper, is there any way I can find out if he was the licensee of a public house called "The Shovel & Broom" that was situated at the cross roads that is called Owens Corner on London Road at Stretton by Stockton Heath, Warrington, at this time there were only two licensed premises one being "The Cat & Lion" and the other "The Shovel & Broom". Any information would be welcome.

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Publican/Beerhouse keeper
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 19 September 21 16:50 BST (UK) »
According to the 1891,1901 and 1911 censuses he was at the Ring O'Bells Inn in Lower Stretton. The pub is still there.

https://www.findmypub.com/properties/view/26651
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline algy

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 19 September 21 17:43 BST (UK) »
Thank's Shaun, I had completely forgotten about the Ring O' Bells and I know it well as I pass there every few weeks. This pub/beer house The Shovel & Broom is on an OS map of 1875-88 map and one however I have searched high and low and can't find any other reference to it's existance.

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Zeya who has a plastic bag fetish
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 19 September 21 18:20 BST (UK) »
Just having a search and this is what I have found .... hope it is the right one you are looking for

Malt Shovel (formerly Shovel & Broom)
35 Liverpool Road
Neston
CH64 3RB

This site was once occupied by one of four Neston breweries which existed in the late 18th century. This was owned and operated by Thomas Whittle in the early 1700s and operated by his family until his daughter Marojorie died in 1793. It is not clear when the pub first opened but it dates back to at least 1872. Previously known as the Shovel & Broom, it changed ownership in 1885 and eventually became a Yates's Castle Brewery pub, later John Smiths.

https://www.nestonpast.com/nestons-inns/
Leicestershire:Chamberlain, Dakin, Wilkinson, Moss, Cook, Welland, Dobson, Roper,Palfreman, Squires, Hames, Goddard, Topliss, Twells,Bacon.
Northamps:Sykes, Harris, Rice,Knowles.
Rutland:Clements, Dalby, Osbourne, Durance, Smith,Christian, Royce, Richardson,Oakham, Dewey,Newbold,Cox,Chamberlaine,Brow, Cooper, Bloodworth,Clarke
Durham/Yorks:Woodend, Watson,Parker, Dowser
Suffolk/Norfolk:Groom, Coleman, Kemp, Barnard, Alden,Blomfield,Smith,Howes,Knight,Kett,Fryston
Lincolnshire:Clements, Woodend

Offline algy

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 19 September 21 19:00 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much for the information iLuleah but I'm afraid it is not the pub I am looking for Neston is about 27 miles away on the Wirral however I really appreciate the research that you have done for me. algy.