Author Topic: Diary > Summary - Week ending 26th September  (Read 1590 times)

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
Diary > Summary - Week ending 26th September
« on: Monday 20 September 21 09:32 BST (UK) »
Heading towards the end of September, nights are drawing in again. This week the government announced changes to travel rules, the amber and green lists will be merged and there are changes to testing rules.

BBC News - Travel update: What are the new rules for going abroad?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/explainers-52544307

This has led to an upturn in business for the travel industry.

Also we have been told that over 50s and younger vulnerable people will receive a Covid booster jab which will be the Pfizer vaccine. I'm happy to take anything that's offered.

Personally, I've been regaining strength and am able now to taste some foods, particularly spicy things. The flavour of some things comes and goes but at least I'm heading in the right direction. No glass of Chardonnay yet, am hoping it's going to be soon.  :) Have enjoyed my Pilates and art classes and life seems quite normal when I go there.

Hope to hear good news for everyone this week.
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline candleflame

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Diary > Summary - Week ending 26th September
« Reply #1 on: Monday 20 September 21 10:25 BST (UK) »
Good to hear your taste is improving Roobarb.
We are off to babysit one of the grandkids as her mum has a dentist appt.
We can def feel an Autumn change to the air up here, plus the timers for our lamps that come on at night in the lounge , really need to be reset as we need light before they switch on now.
Have a good week all.
North East of England

Offline jo1962

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 20 September 21 11:59 BST (UK) »
Good to hear you are regaining your senses Roobarb!! I'm sure you will soon be enjoying your chardonnay  ;)
Definitely an autumnal feel in the air. Great news about travel. I'm off to Lanzarote on Thursday for 2 weeks and it can't come quick enough. It's the holiday we should have had in March 2020 and has been put back 6 times. I was concerned to read about the volcanic eruption in La Palma yesterday, thinking it might affect flights to the canaries but it doesn't appear to be the case. Poor people on that island have had to endure covid and now this; I feel so sorry for them.
Must start packing. It's been that long since I packed a suitcase I feel in a bit of a tizz!  Bob the dog has to have a bath before he goes on his holibobs to my daughter's. He doesn't like water so I'm trying to pluck up the courage to do it  as I know he will fall out with me. I don't think bribing him with meaty treats will cut any ice.
Have a good week everyone, enjoy the sunshine while it lasts.
A belated happy birthday to Caroline, sounds as though you had a wonderful time and were very spoilt!

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 20 September 21 16:08 BST (UK) »
Ooh, how lovely Jo. :) A friend of mine has recently returned from Portugal, she said she felt safe in the airports because of course everyone had been PCR tested and tested negative. People had also been wearing masks in the queues and generally behaving sensibly.
I hope you have a wonderful time and Bob the dog doesn't sulk too much at being left behind!
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 20 September 21 16:14 BST (UK) »
How brave of you to go on holiday - I've not yet ventured further than an hundred miles from home in any direction, had one meal out with friends, no coffees or other drinks out, and no overnight stays.
I must try to be braver....
TY
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline candleflame

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 20 September 21 19:53 BST (UK) »
TY I agree itís very strange this venturing out. I went to my first choir practice back last week. It just felt odd being in the company of so many people ( about 30 there in total). We all sat socially distanced so that was fine. I wore my mask to go in, as thatís the rule going into church and another choir that starts this week, but I was the only one wearing a mask to go in. I was talking to one lady at half time and she has been on buses and the metro and was saying we canít live our lives in fear. I admired her bravery but Iím still a tad cautious . Husband and I have had two meals out in an afternoon when the two pubs we like were very empty so felt safe there. No holidays planned at all. Baby steps I think.
North East of England

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 20 September 21 20:26 BST (UK) »
A hundred miles TY? Well I'd say that's quite a stretch.  :)

Candleflame, I think there's a difference between living life in fear and taking precautionary measures like wearing a mask if you choose to. The fact that I've had both jabs and have antibodies from catching Covid doesn't make me any less careful,
in fact it's made me more aware of the risks. I agree that everyone needs to do things at their own pace, don't feel obliged to do anything you're not comfortable with.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham

Offline mare

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 21 September 21 04:50 BST (UK) »

Today ends 5 weeks of the strictest lockdown of level 4 for Auckland with just minor adjustments for another 2 weeks, while the rest of NZ will also be in their level 2 to be reviewed in a fortnight. A pocket just beyond the southern border is on a tighter watch with a mini lockdown after an unexpected household infection in the last few days exposing their community.
Many quite large households have been caught up in a couple of the Auckland clusters unfortunately but majority have been linked with contact tracing, testing etc and the stay home ruling will have helped considerably to keep relatively contained. Several border breaches inviting fines and announcement today that fines will be considerably increased to hurt the offenders more financially, no doubt those staying put in the main would expect that consequence. 

If the rest of the country is anything to go by at level change and from what we hear, there will be queues at fast food drive through outlets tomorrow, seems 5 weeks without takeaways and coffee are first port of call when allowed!  Not my cup of tea :-) Ö and I have a daily coffee date every afternoon with my own barista who is looking more like Santa again as each week goes by.

Still hoping to make a quick trip to see family next month, our wee granddaughter has her 2nd birthday during the school holidays.  I had a clash in diary with another event which has had to be postponed because of the gathering restrictions, now we would need to be in level 2 to travel outside Auckland and husband would also be able to pick up his work schedule meaning juggling time will be back on agenda.

Cheers, with chardonnay or whatever tipple :-) .. to safe holidays and outings of choice..

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 21 September 21 13:54 BST (UK) »
Nice to hear about people's plans meeting up with family and beginning to travel albeit short journeys.  My first time away since March 2020 was the long weekend I spent in Norfolk last week.

Yesterday my car was in for MOT and service - always feel anxious until I get the call, feel as if a family member is having an operation.   Does anyone else feel this way or is it just me?  My b-in-l picked me up after I'd taken the car in and instead of going home as I'd planned he took me back to their house where we picked up my sister and drove into the country to have a coffee in a working farm cafe (plus I had a sumptious slice of carrot cake).   My b-in-l had booked my sisters car in for today so when we went back to pick up my car early afternoon he left that there and I then drove him home.   Musical cars!   Got to pick him up at 3.15 and take him back to the garage to collect J's car (she's unable to drive at the moment following hip operation).

So some short excursions now, still masked and sanitised, and a 3 day trip to York in a months time to look forward too.

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk