Author Topic: Diary > Summary - Week ending 26th September  (Read 2944 times)

Online radstockjeff

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Diary > Summary - Week ending 26th September
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 21 September 21 14:43 BST (UK) »
Today we reached a longed for milestone. The small Brass group in which I play, met for the first time since March 3rd 2020.

Still some social distancing in the bandroom (Church Hall) and the seats for the players set out in one long line rather than the normal horseshoe around the conductor. But we did not need "bell masks" over the instruments, nor face masks!!!

We were missing a couple of old friends Larry and Colin who have since passed , neither due to Covid, but other ailments.

And so eight of us struggled to get our lips back into shape, except those who had diligently practised day by day since we last met.  ;)

And we had a jolly good 90 minutes playing.

So enjoyable to meet up again with old friends and begin the journey back to full musical enjoyment.
Nurse, Musther, Smith, Julnes, Rogers, Parsons,Grieves(Greaves,Greeves),Wood,Cray,Scrine,Shellard,Greenstock,

There's nothing wrong with being mediocre...as long as you're good at it!

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 21 September 21 16:44 BST (UK) »
A hundred miles TY? Well I'd say that's quite a stretch.  :)

Candleflame, I think there's a difference between living life in fear and taking precautionary measures like wearing a mask if you choose to. The fact that I've had both jabs and have antibodies from catching Covid doesn't make me any less careful,
in fact it's made me more aware of the risks. I agree that everyone needs to do things at their own pace, don't feel obliged to do anything you're not comfortable with.

I'd agree with the above  :D

When venturing out, do what you are comfortable with and as safely as you can.

I have Global Cerebral Atrophy discovered on a scan 20 years ago and early 2020 went down with a nasty pre-covid influenza and had an Inflammatory Response, which caused inflammation, rash, kidney trouble, low temperature, temporary paralysis and other problems.

I'm improving and following Doctor's advice.

Covid is not the only serious virus or health problem.

When I went to an NHS hospital for a scan Summer last year I never saw anyone coughing or with Covid, despite ITU and Wards reported full of sufferers, as great efforts were made to keep Outpatients separate, so it was a shame to hear that some didn't turn up, whilst others wanted to be seen.

Been shopping (except with cold symptoms) every week throughout Covid. We went to Conwy yesterday and today we sat out on the decking at the golf club in lovely sunshine and enjoyed it very much.

My feeling is to venture out, with my mask and go to, or do what I feel happy with safely and where I can distance. I can get up, pay our bill and leave at any time.

I've read Scientific Reports and had differing Medical opinions given me by Doctors and then made my own mind up which Doctors offered the best opinion (the two who said the same).
 ----------
Jeff, it would be real good to hear your band  ;D at an open air band stand  :D

Take care all, Mark

Every day of life is so precious  :)   :)

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 21 September 21 20:54 BST (UK) »
" every day of life  is  so  precious"

I  wholeheartedly  agree with you, I  am  one  of  4  friends, one  had  cancer 2  years  ago as did  her  husband,  they bounced back to reasonable health, another  friend has  just  been diagnosed with cancer, her husband  has  recovered   from  cancer and  my other  friend  has a bronchial problem, I have  just said  to  my  husband  how  incredibly  lucky we are  only  having  minor  problems  at  our age  and  I am thankful for  that, 
I consider every  day is  a  bonus

Louisa  Maud
Census information is Crown Copyright,
from  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Granath Sweden and London
Garner, Marylebone Paddington  Northolt Ilford
Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Jenkins Marylebone Paddington
Mizon/Mison/Myson Paddington
Tindal Marylebone Paddington
Tocock, (name changed to Ellis) London
Southam Marylebone, Paddington
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Edermaniger(Maniger) Essex Kent Canada (Toronto)
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 22 September 21 10:01 BST (UK) »
Good to hear people’s health is improving , but it must  seem like a long slog to them.
I had to laugh,Roobarb -you have regained your senses,- I knew exactly what Jo1962 meant ,taste etc ,but at first it read as if you had “lost your senses”—-
when nothing could be further from the truth.
 Nothing much happening here ,must go out today,a bit of shopping ,including flowers for my Dad’s Birthday on 24th.
Born 1897, so would be 124 ,I think .
He wished his ashes  to be scattered in
 a WW1 Battlefield memorial park at Hill 60.Near Ypres.
So we did that .

Had some lovely weather and got lots done ,but dull today with rain forecast.
Going to organise flu jab ,etc then try to get to Shropshire before the really bad weather comes.
It will be lovely in the Autumn.

No news really Flash Harry settled in well back at school .He is usuallyO.K.,but was sad last time as his friend was very upset and would not play ,so some play dates towards the end of the holidays and re- connection seems to have worked well.
New baby due the beginning of November, a little girl.
He is fed up, wanted a boy.
But has seen the scans etc ,talks to mummy’s tummy .
Tells stories but always gets Goldilocks and Red Riding Hood intertwined - ;D ;D ;D,interesting !
Well must get on, look after yourselves and take care.
Viktoria.

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 22 September 21 10:36 BST (UK) »
Another week and nearing the end of the month… where has the time gone this year…
It’s good to hear more people out and about and doing what you used to do..wearing face coverings in our house is still important in public inside places..

The weather is still glorious so there’s lots of hedge trimming and clearing to be done in the garden so that’s our task this week.

On Friday we’re going to Chelsea Flower Show with our daughter - her birthday pressie to me - never been before so very excited to see it all especially as it’s being held at an unusual time of year…. Bit hesitant about number of people and we will have to travel for a short distance on the underground…. Lateral flow test going to be done before going.

We are still being careful but one has to resume some sort of normal life… we’re double jabbed and I did take part in an antibody study and I have them… as we get older it’s important that we can enjoy life before it’s too late and each year we live under restrictions takes that valuable time away….

Hope everyone else has a good week and can enjoy life a little more before winter sets in…

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 22 September 21 10:43 BST (UK) »
Apparently  first  day  of autumn and it  is a beautiful  warm  day

LM

Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 22 September 21 17:39 BST (UK) »
Well, the day has turned out well, sunshine mostly .
Went to Bury, a bit of shopping ,stopped at the fish market, got some smoked haddock, enough for two fish pies for one or two portions of smoked haddock 
chowder .A steak of Hake and a pair of kippers and it was £12.
I also decided I would have a lovely Haddiock from a very nice chip shop
That was a staggering £4-90. and sadly the usual frier was not there ,and it was not as good as usual.
Got some roses from M&S for my Dad, two big tins of ham for the famine cupboard and some quinoa biscuits that are very low in sugar, 4g.per bar.
Some lovely strawberries .

Glad to get home for a cuppa though ,people not keeping any distance.,few wearing masks.
Fell asleep !
Now time for Pointless ,which I like.
Not hungry of course but must have a drink, tablets to take ,whenever are there not tablets to take or eye drops to put in!

Changed bed today and sorted out some new ,as in unused, double cellular blankets I have had for years .
I like them with a low tog quilt at this time of year.
Too big for my single bed so some I will make smaller and the offcuts will make snuggle blankets for  the new baby .
Due the first week in November .
Mum is much better following transfusions for her extreme anaemia following extreme hyperemesis.
Well ,no real news.
Cheerio.
Viktoria.

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 23 September 21 10:53 BST (UK) »
Lovely to sit and read this at my leisure, and good to know that most people are gradually gaining confidence and returning to previous activities at last, especially band practise Jeff. Hurrah.
I have a friend who returned to choir, but was incensed by the chairs being placed, with military precision, 2m apart..... and that she was expected to sing while wearing a face covering! (She has been persuaded to try again in a few months.)
Great news ROOBARB is regaining taste, and enjoying art classes etc.
Good luck to all those going on holidays and large gatherings..... my trip to Hampton Court flower show, in early July, was traumatic to me, but hopefully Chelsea will have better organisation.
Also loving the vision of Flash Harry telling convoluted fairy stories to his invisible baby sister. :D
It is true we should all be grateful for our good health LM, and try to use each day productively. We never know what is around the corner.... or in my case, along the lane....
I had a fall on Tuesday and have damaged my foot, which 48 hours later, is still giving me considerable pain with every step, so I sat in glorious sunshine reading on the balcony all day yesterday.  I was hoping I would be better today; sadly it looks like I need another day of serious inactivity, which is frustrating, but has definitely made me more thankful for how lucky I am with general fitness.
We still have a good many holiday makers in The Bay, and cases are well above the national average, but feeling cautiously optimistic as our 8th anti-body test for the UCL study says our vaccinations are still giving us protection.
Everyone enjoy family time and holidays, though I suggest wearing face coverings in enclosed spaces remains the most sensible option.
p.s. Still two cruise liners here at anchor, and it looks like one of the three container vessels which had been here for several days, may have departed for Rotterdam.
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 23 September 21 11:07 BST (UK) »
Oh  dear  MH,  sorry  to hear  you  have  injured  your  foot, hopefully  you  will rest  up  till it  feels easier,  fortunately  the  weather  is  reasonable at the  moment and  you  might  be  able  to  sit  outside  but  it  is  frustrating  if  you  are  normally fit  and  able  as I  know  you are

Got  6  paternal cousins   coming today, only  2  interested   in  family   history so  will have  to  button  it  after their  eyes  glaze  over, I  do  know  when  to  stop

Might  be able  to sort  out where  my grandfather  was  born even  though one  has  a  piece  of paper showing  born  in Wales, I  know  he  wasn't, time  will tell
as  I  am  waiting for  DNA results,  something  is  didn't  want to do to  be  honest

Sitting  here waiting for the first cousins  to  arrive, 

Enjoy  this  nice weather  everyone whilst  it  lasts

Louisa  Maud

Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London