Author Topic: Where is this Church ?  (Read 587 times)

Offline bbart

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Where is this Church ?
« Reply #9 on: Monday 20 September 21 23:02 BST (UK) »
Excellent detective work, Trish!

This is just another view, but it almost matches the sketch (and apparently is hanging in the Manchester art gallery)

https://d3d00swyhr67nd.cloudfront.net/w1200h1200/collection/GMIII/MCAG/GMIII_MCAG_1917_233-001.jpg

Edit: this one is dated 1898 from here: https://artuk.org/discover/artworks/goring-church-on-the-thames-205396

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 20 September 21 23:13 BST (UK) »
Are those gargoyles or sketches of faces above the screen? One resembles a pig.
Cowban

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 21 September 21 00:49 BST (UK) »
Well found Trish.  :)

I note the beams on the ceiling in the interior drawing so possibly a gothic or gothic revival church? There must be thousands that fit into that category.

Looking at the views of St Thomas posted here, the scene your grandmother drew is virtually identical. She may have holidayed in the area, but I am wondering if she might have drawn these from photographs. There are many hours work in both of them, especially the detail in the church interior which would be difficult to draw from memory, or improvise if you were not sitting directly in front of it.

If drawn from photos or postcards the church could be anywhere. I wonder if one of those image searches will throw up a useful match?

Offline BASE Controller

• RootsChat Extra
  • BRICE Arms: Sa a griffin passant or, granted 1573
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 21 September 21 08:45 BST (UK) »
Spot on, all of you.  Ethel possibly even saw the picture hanging in the Manchester Art Gallery - and bought the postcard!  Now my romantic illusions of lazy days by the river have been re-directed, I shall image search the gothic interior.  I knew the RootsChat detectives could help. Thank you all.
Paternal Line:  BRICE, HUTCHINGS, SAWBRIDGE, WOODS, DYER, CRABTREE, MARQUISS, SEAMAN
Origins:  Cheshire, Somerset, Nottinghamshire, Hampshire, Devon, Yorkshire
Maternal Line:  McCAIG, LAW, GERKIN, TAYLOR, JARDINE, McIVER, NUGENT, TURNER
Origins:  Lancashire, Germany, Dumfries, Renfrew
Paternal In-Laws:  REPTON, LARKIN, FOULKES, RUSSELL, BROCKLEHURST, HUMPHREYS, TOMLINSON, MACHIN, SPENCER
Origins:  Derbyshire, Denbighshire
Maternal In-Laws:  BOURNE, THORPE, BEASTALL, JACKSON, THOMPSON, SHAW

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 21 September 21 10:35 BST (UK) »
Well done, trish, and bbart for finding the painting in Manchester.

The Manchester connection set me thinking on the same lines as BASE Controller:
Spot on, all of you.  Ethel possibly even saw the picture hanging in the Manchester Art Gallery - and bought the postcard!

There are so many similarities between the painting and Ethel's sketch that I suspect she must have been copying the original - possibly in the gallery itself while visiting from her home in Stockport.

Or might she have had some closer connection to the original? One of bbart's links says it was painted by B.W. Leader in 1898 and bequeathed to the Manchester Art Gallery in 1917 by a James Thomas Blair (the probate index describes him as a Manchester shipping merchant). Are those names familiar?
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline BASE Controller

• RootsChat Extra
  • BRICE Arms: Sa a griffin passant or, granted 1573
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 21 September 21 10:50 BST (UK) »
Good thinking, arthurk.  The names BLAIR or LEADER don't spring out in the Family Lines, but I have made a note to explore further. 
Paternal Line:  BRICE, HUTCHINGS, SAWBRIDGE, WOODS, DYER, CRABTREE, MARQUISS, SEAMAN
Origins:  Cheshire, Somerset, Nottinghamshire, Hampshire, Devon, Yorkshire
Maternal Line:  McCAIG, LAW, GERKIN, TAYLOR, JARDINE, McIVER, NUGENT, TURNER
Origins:  Lancashire, Germany, Dumfries, Renfrew
Paternal In-Laws:  REPTON, LARKIN, FOULKES, RUSSELL, BROCKLEHURST, HUMPHREYS, TOMLINSON, MACHIN, SPENCER
Origins:  Derbyshire, Denbighshire
Maternal In-Laws:  BOURNE, THORPE, BEASTALL, JACKSON, THOMPSON, SHAW