Author Topic: Finding Keeney and Heena father through DNA Donegal  (Read 705 times)

Offline Julzei

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Finding Keeney and Heena father through DNA Donegal
« on: Monday 20 September 21 19:06 BST (UK) »
My mum has no name of her biological father, only DNA.

I have messaged 2nd cousins but they either donít reply or just draw a blank.

I was hoping passenger lists would reveal something as my mum was born in Ireland after my nan went there with her family to escape the war but I donít know why they donít come up on any of them ?? I was hopeful this would be the key to finding something out as my mums cousin said he came back to England with my nan when my mum was a baby but didnít stay for very long but I canít even find my nans name on one.

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Finding biological father through DNA
« Reply #1 on: Monday 20 September 21 21:32 BST (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat

You wonít find passenger lists between England & Ireland - there arenít any

https://www.irish-genealogy-toolkit.com/Irish-immigration-to-Britain.html
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Flemming

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 20 September 21 22:04 BST (UK) »
Hi there, and welcome. Could you give us a bit more info about the DNA - which sites have you tested with, are the DNA matches to yourself or your Mum, and what cM are shared with them? Also, do they have trees?

All the best, Flemming.

Online brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Computer incompetent but stiil trying
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 20 September 21 22:55 BST (UK) »
When you say 2nd cousins do you know that is their relationship they could also be half cousins depending on cm levels

Have you grouped matches to see if you get same surnames turning up ?

Good luck ...keep asking if you need help
Roberts,Fellman.Macdermid smith jones,Bloch,Irvine,Hallis Stevenson

Offline Julzei

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 21 September 21 01:23 BST (UK) »
Hi there, and welcome. Could you give us a bit more info about the DNA - which sites have you tested with, are the DNA matches to yourself or your Mum, and what cM are shared with them? Also, do they have trees?

All the best, Flemming.

I had myself and my mum tested on ancestry.com

The closest match I canít place is a 2nd - 3rd cousin with 202cM | 3% shared DNA and they have a very large tree but managed by someone else. I have messaged them yesterday but they have not got back as of yet.

Iíve noticed there are 2 surnames which come up the most often - Keeney and Kelly with the unknown matches.

Online brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 21 September 21 09:40 BST (UK) »
My tip would be to put each of your matches greatgrandparents surnames in the shared matches search bar in turn and compare number of matches .
This will include matches with closed trees
. If you also try putting the name in tree owner name box it may  show some direct descendants who do not have trees if the dna testee has used their birth surname.
Does that make sense ?
For example if the birth father was a descendant of a KEENEY matches to other descendants of his grandfather may show up. You can contact people with no trees to ask how they connect to a family ..

Offline Flemming

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 21 September 21 10:10 BST (UK) »
If it's on Ancestry, and the 202cM is with your Mum, it's quite probable you're looking at a 2C match. If this is the case, it would mean your Mum and the match share great grandparents. Do the names Keeney or Kelly feature in the lines of any of the great grandparents in the match's tree?

One thing you could do is add each set of great grandparents in turn to your own tree, making up a ficticious child and grandson for them, and making the grandson your Mum's father. You might want to keep your tree private but searchable while you do this given it's sensitive and experimental. The reason for leaving it searchable, however, is that Ancestry will try and find matches with this line in their trees and will flag them up as having 'common ancestors' (little green leaf appears under info about their tree).

You may need to leave each set of great grandparents in your tree for a few weeks before you change to another because Ancestry isn't always that quick in picking up common ancestors.

Offline Julzei

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 21 September 21 14:53 BST (UK) »
There is a couple who feature in 2 of my closest unknown matches trees who Iím thinking may be my mums grandparents or great grandparents - Cornelius (Neil) Keeney 1841 - 1938 and Isabella (Bella) Heena 1850 - 1927.  They had 11 kids, some of who moved to the USA.

Iíve got in touch with a cousin whoís informed me my nans sister is still alive so Iím hoping she might remember something - although its a long shot when shes in her 90s!

Online brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 21 September 21 15:47 BST (UK) »
You could follow Flemmings suggestion  add them to your tree including their children and descendants but add an extra son callled" birth father Keeney" and add your mother but tag as hypothesis

That way you will see any thru lines

And you can keep your tree public for others to search .

Sounds like you're making progress already

Ps dont use brackets on ancestry tree list Cornelius Neil as separate names so links will show to people who have listed him by his full name and those who use shortened  form