Author Topic: Do I need to upgrade Rootsmagic ?  (Read 1879 times)

Offline Black Sheep

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Do I need to upgrade Rootsmagic ?
« on: Monday 20 September 21 20:17 BST (UK) »
Hello I am back after a few years break in researching and trying to catch up with what I have missed.

My tree has been saved on the original version of Rootsmagic that I purchased, it must be about 18 years ago now. Apart from the software being old, would it be worth upgrading, is there much to be gained with the newer versions or is there something better ?

BS
Robinson, Roberts, Roles, Griffiths, Walton, Royle, Chorlton,
Mott, Jones, Greenway, Morris, Bates, Mackay, Colley, Wagstaffe, Rickwood, Winston, Sockett, Bates, Haylock, Winston, Cleminson, Goodwin, Sockett, Bevan, Williams, Bell, Johnson and Dearson.

Offline manukarik

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Do I need to upgrade Rootsmagic ?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 20 September 21 20:46 BST (UK) »
I'm very pleased with RootsMagic 7 and RootsMagic 8, when it's finished, looks even better. You could always download the free RootsMagic 7 Essentials and see what you think. Others who use different programs will be able to advise you better about the virtues (and drawbacks) of their program.
Clarkson, Tolladay, Prevost, Killick, Hicks

Offline manukarik

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 20 September 21 21:07 BST (UK) »
This site lists the pros and cons of some of the major genealogy software. Once RootsMagic 8 is ready it will look much better visually and have new functions like fan charts.

https://www.smarterhobby.com/genealogy/best-genealogy-software/

Offline Black Sheep

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 20 September 21 21:23 BST (UK) »
thank you manukarik

Integration
RootsMagic 7 is able to connect and download directly from such sites as Ancestry, MyHeritage and FamilySearch, giving you access to a ton of online records and databases.

That bit sounds like it could be beneficial. I have used ancestry in the past and use thegenealogist but I do feel uncomfortable about my family tree with us living being publicly viewable does the new upgrade allow for this with ancestry for instance ?

BS
Robinson, Roberts, Roles, Griffiths, Walton, Royle, Chorlton,
Mott, Jones, Greenway, Morris, Bates, Mackay, Colley, Wagstaffe, Rickwood, Winston, Sockett, Bates, Haylock, Winston, Cleminson, Goodwin, Sockett, Bevan, Williams, Bell, Johnson and Dearson.

Offline manukarik

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 20 September 21 21:44 BST (UK) »
Any living people on Ancestry should automatically be shown as private. The only time I have had to anonymise people is when downloading the gedcom file from Ancestry and uploading it to another site, for example, GEDmatch.

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 21 September 21 10:55 BST (UK) »
This site lists the pros and cons of some of the major genealogy software....

https://www.smarterhobby.com/genealogy/best-genealogy-software/

It's unfortunate that that comparison referred to Family Historian 6, when at the time it was published version 7 had already been available for a month. It also fails to mention FH's support for plug-ins - small utilities which provide extra or enhanced functionality to the core program - which is one of its key (and possibly unique?) features.

You can read more about Family Historian 7 at https://www.family-historian.co.uk/whats-new-in-7
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline DavidG02

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 07 October 21 08:49 BST (UK) »
I might piggyback my question in here

I have tried to download a paid version of RM8 - once a few months ago and today

Both times it has rejected my information due to ''billing name doesnt match ' - well it does and I am getting to the point I will keep the free version and not bother
Genealogy-Its a family thing

Paternal: Gibbins,McNamara, Jenkins, Schumann,  Inwood, Sheehan, Quinlan, Tierney, Cole

Maternal: Munn, Simpson , Brighton, Clayfield, Westmacott, Corbell, Hatherell, Blacksell/Blackstone, Boothey , Muirhead

Son: Bull, Kneebone, Lehmann, Cronin, Fowler, Yates, Biglands, Rix, Carpenter, Pethick, Carrick, Male, London, Jacka, Tilbrook, Scott, Hampshire, Buckley

Brickwalls-   Schumann, Simpson,Westmacott/Wennicot
Scott, Cronin
Gedmatch Kit : T812072

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 07 October 21 10:31 BST (UK) »
I might piggyback my question in here

I have tried to download a paid version of RM8 - once a few months ago and today

Both times it has rejected my information due to ''billing name doesnt match ' - well it does and I am getting to the point I will keep the free version and not bother

I thought rootsmagic 8 had only just been released, I had an email dated 1st October 2021 stating that it is now available. 
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jc26red

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 09 October 21 21:33 BST (UK) »
Yes, it was officially released on September 30th.

I had no problem downloading the upgrade yesterday, although the ordering forms are US biased which maybe be the problem you were having. I think they are checking your name and email from your previous purchase allowing the new release discount.

I have been with RM since I started in  2002, it is my preferred app but I have tried most of the other FH programs over the years but always come back to it.  I haven't opened a RM7 file in RM8 yet but I will make sure I backup everything first.

I did sign up to do RM8 testing over a year ago but personal circumstances prevented me from spending any time on any FH until very recently. It's a shame as I was was sent access keys to all their testing versions too..
As far as I can tell it looks good, I'm hoping the few niggles I have with RM7 have been ironed out.

From RM7 you can UPLOAD your tree to Ancestry and maintain both at the same time, but it is optional, I haven't done so.  The hints for FindMyPast keeps sending me to the Irish version of FindMyPast as I once, many moons ago took up a sub which was on offer on the Irish one , I have tried to correct it back to .co.uk but it doesn't want to know which means I can't dismiss or accept the hints.  It's only a small niggle.  I don't get hints from Ancestry, but that's probably because I haven't uploaded my tree to Ancestry. Not a big deal.
Please acknowledge when a restorer works on your photos, it can take hours for them to work their magic

Please scan at 300dpi minimum to help save the restorers eyesight.