Author Topic: Alice Crawford  (Read 540 times)

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Alice Crawford
« Reply #9 on: Friday 24 September 21 03:33 BST (UK) »
 I was wondering if this is the correct "Alice" crawford - called Elsie
5229/1889
BANNIS HENRY       CRAWFORD   ELSIE
WOLLONGONG

Attached are the pages from church records St Michaels Woollongong.
It is quite difficult to make out the correct surnames - Bannes, Bonnes, Bannis, Bennis?? and I cannot work out where Henry comes from - is it Sweden?

Yesterday I searched for a short while trying to find the Bannis / Bannes name in various places and drew a blank. I eventually ran out of time.

The surname might be even be BARNES. There are a few possible births in Bourke to a Henry W Barnes and Elsie
Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Clark – Faulds – Cuthbertson – Bryson – Wilson: (Ayrshire & Renfrewshire)
Neale – Cater – Kinder - Harrison: (Warwickshire & Queensland)
Roberts - Spry: (Cornwall, Middlesex & Queensland)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 24 September 21 03:57 BST (UK) »
 :D

Thanks Neale,  very interesting....   

If your surname included the letter 'i' within it,  and the clergyman wrote it twice (once for the groom, and once for the father of the groom) and then YOU actually signed the document too,  .....  ummmm....  where is the 'dot' over that letter 'i'  ....   And yes, I agree, Sweden for the birthplace.

Mt Kiera gets a 'dot',  so too does April and the Bride's given name too, .... but not BANNIS .... so it seems to me that it should have been indexed as BANNES ....  and an 'e' tagged on to SHARP for the bride's mother's nee name ....   Just my opinion of course.

There's an RChatter who often posts info re Sweden.  Perhaps he will know the surname ....   :)  Fingers crossed.

JM 
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 24 September 21 04:12 BST (UK) »
Where henry signs - it looks more like "Banery"

MAYBE ????
Name:   Henry Baner
Port of Departure:   Bremen
Port of Arrival:   Sydney, New South Wales
Voyage Arrival Date:   18 Mar 1889
Vessel Name:   Nurnberg
(I think the name looks more like BAUER on the original ship list)
Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland)

Offline KimCrawford

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 24 September 21 05:19 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone that has answered my reply thankyou.  Iam new at this site.
Neale 1961 you found the right names with Henry Bannis and Elsie Crawford, I have been searching as well but can't find any more information about them, they where married 1st April 1889, the church records have parents but the marriage transcribt there where no parents.
I have looked for funeral notices for Alice/Elsie parents but doesn't state kids names.
Alice parents are GeorgeCrawford and Jane Sharp married 17-6-1858 Newcastle NSW they had there first child Harriet in 1859 Newcastle NSW then they moved to Upper Aruleen (near Braidwood) NSW
then they had Sarah 1861, John1865, James 1867, George 1869, William 1871, Elizabeth approx 1873 can't find birth, Charles 1876, Robert 1878
I have all there birth transcribts except Elizabeth, I also have George and Jane's death transcribt.
I have tried to put the transcribts on but take up kb
I just don't know what to do next, Can u put the attatchments seperatley to show everyone what I have, like parents death and Alice birth and marriage
Kim

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 24 September 21 05:36 BST (UK) »
Yes you can add attachments. There is a size limit, so you will not be able to put them all on one post.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 24 September 21 05:55 BST (UK) »
Alice CRAWFORD

Walter H and Alice DAVIS had a number of children born in Sydney, as per NSW BDM birth index over the years.
Sands Sydney Streets Directory 1900 : Walter Henry DAVIS, 64 Washington Street, ( no. 2 was at the waterfront, Darling Harbour the numbering going up to Sussex Street, northern side EVEN numbers.

NSW Electoral Roll 1902, WEST SYDNEY, polling at Lang. (1902 is the first with females)
Alice DAVIS, 64 Washington St,  domestic duties
Walter Henry DAVIS, 64 Washington St, dealer
William DAVIS, 64 Washington St, boilermaker

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline KimCrawford

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 24 September 21 06:06 BST (UK) »
Kim,

Welcome to RootsChat. What information are you trying to find regarding this?

Trystan

Offline jamcat95

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 24 September 21 09:32 BST (UK) »
This could be Henry's naturalization record. This Henry was married to a Elsie Sharp Barnes. If this is him he was then born in Finland. Parts of Finland were Swedish when he married. His signature looks to be the same as the one on his marriage record :

https://recordsearch.naa.gov.au/SearchNRetrieve/Gallery151/dist/JGalleryViewer.aspx?B=39961&S=3&N=10&R=0#/SearchNRetrieve/NAAMedia/ShowImage.aspx?B=39961&T=P&S=1

Ian

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 24 September 21 09:53 BST (UK) »
Well done Ian? That does look to be the same man and same signature. Father named Carl (Charles).
Also occupation as a miner is a match too. Date of birth also a match!
So my hunch about the name being BARNES was right.

According to Henry’s naturalisation document - there were no children.