Author Topic: Just who is this man, George Charles Lawrence when and where born is conflicting  (Read 1587 times)

Offline heaven

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
I have several records for George, what i do not have is a Birth record.

1.    WW1 Record.  Enlisted 2 March 1916, aged 18 years and 2 months.  Birth place Brighton, Vic.   
       Address  Wilson Street,  Brighton. Next of kin Annie Hawkin (Guardian) ( NOTE - I found Annie on
        most electoral rolls at this address) I have calculated his birth from the record  to be about
        Jan1898.

2.     Marriage Certificate - 14 July 1923 at Carlton,Vic, married Mary Monica Donnelley a widow(nee
        Orchard His birth place is listed as Dunedin, NZ. His parents listed as Frederick George Watson
        and Mary  O'Keefe.  Ages on cert are George 31 and Mary 33. In actual fact Mary was 40 and if
        the birth age calculated above  is correct he was only aged25.

3.     Death Certificate - 21 April 1953 aged 55, Place of Death St Vincents Hospital, Melb,  Born in
        Carlton.  Parents Ernest Charles Watson and Sarah Jane. ( there is a red square with red print
        that states parents names are incorrect)  he has spent 45 years in Vic and 7 in NSW.
        Birth calculate from this cert is also 1898.

George deserted Mary in 1945 and entered a defacto relationship with Mabel Lucy Dennis, (nee O'Neal)  I have their deaths and burials.

What ! would like to know is when and where he was actually born and who his parents were, also how did he become under the Guardianship oh Annie Hawkins. I
If anyone can shed some light here or point me in the right direction i would be very grateful.

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Just who is this man, George Charles Lawrence when and where born is conflicting
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 21 September 21 08:33 BST (UK) »
The Melbourne Orphanage was on Wilson Street, Brighton. Could there have been some scheme that linked residents to the children of the orphanage.

Trove newspapers has the death of Annie's husband, March 1915. Mentions 3 daughters. If George had been amongst the household would he have been mentioned?

Offline heaven

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Just who is this man, George Charles Lawrence when and where born is conflicting
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 21 September 21 08:54 BST (UK) »
Thank you for the reply.
 I thought he must have been in an orphanage somewhere, for him to have a guardian, so I will look into that one and see what I can find, if we could find a birth record for him to clarify where he was actually born it might clarify things.  His war records do not show him in a favourable light, and he also spent  6 months in Pentridge jail for false pretences between his discharge from the War and his marriage to Mary, this tells me he was a very troubled young man.

Offline cupoflife

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 21 September 21 09:36 BST (UK) »
Is this a possibility?
Vic birth:
782 / 1899 WATSON Geo Chas
Place of event: BENDIGO
Mother's name: Sarah Jane WILLIAMS
Father's Name: Ernt Chas

Offline cupoflife

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 21 September 21 09:49 BST (UK) »
Only 1 death for a George WATSON with parents Ernest Charles and Sarah Jane
3906 / 1953
Family name: WATSON George Charles Lawrence
Place of event: FITZROY, Australia
Mother's name: Sarah Jane
Mother's family: UNKNOWN
Father's Name: WATSON Ernest Charles

Offline heaven

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 21 September 21 10:22 BST (UK) »
Re reply from cupoflife - The Death you mention is the Certificate I have in my post, I was put off by the red lettering mentioned , i wondered if this was put there by an Ancestry member as I did get it from Ancestry.
Re the birth - this matches the death parents, so I think I will download the originals from BDM Vic and see if the death has any notations about the parents and if not I will take my search down this track.
I will try to find some records of his guardianship from the orphanage mentioned and see if I have any success, so thank you so much for your reply

Online Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 21 September 21 12:31 BST (UK) »
The Death you mention is the Certificate I have in my post, I was put off by the red lettering mentioned , i wondered if this was put there by an Ancestry member as I did get it from Ancestry.

Yes it has been added by someone, this would not be on the original.

Debra  :)

Offline heaven

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 21 September 21 12:37 BST (UK) »
Thank you I thought this would be the case so I will ignore the red print and follow through

Offline cupoflife

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 21 September 21 13:50 BST (UK) »
Vic birth:
782 / 1899 WATSON Geo Chas
Place of event: BENDIGO
Mother's name: Sarah Jane WILLIAMS
Father's Name: Ernt Chas

Is this the above... born 9/12/1898...
Watson George Charles : SERN 64547 : POB Bendigo VIC : POE Bendigo VIC : NOK F Watson Ernest Charles
See page 21 and page 23 has both parents (Ernest Charles Watson and Sarah Jane Watson)
See page 11 dated 25 May 1962 Repatriation Department South Australia requesting his records from Victoria.
https://recordsearch.naa.gov.au/SearchNRetrieve/Interface/ViewImage.aspx?B=1913894