Author Topic: Just who is this man, George Charles Lawrence when and where born is conflicting  (Read 572 times)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: Just who is this man, George Charles Lawrence when and where born is conflicting
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 22 September 21 09:19 BST (UK) »

Can I ask why my previous suggestions are totally being ignored?

As nothing is turning up for this guy, I thought I’d might suggest something else.

In 1898 a George Charles Laurence HAYWOOD is registered in “Melbourne South”. No father, but the mother is a Fanny Haywood.
A few things:
- I researched the birth dates for some of the other babies born in the same area and who had registration numbers close to baby George’s (i.e. #4984).
   ==> These children were born at the end of Feb 1898.
- Baby George seems to to disappear after birth (and so does the mother)
- In 1897 a Fanny Haywood is looking for a “kind person” to adopt a baby girl
   see: https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/188145712?searchTerm=Fanny
   If this is the same lady, could the same have happened to baby George i.e. could he have been adopted/fostered by a family called Watson

As your George Watson had a guardian, the ward registers at PROV could be useful, but they are not online for this period and therefore would need a physical visit: https://prov.vic.gov.au/explore-collection/explore-topic/adoption-ward-state-and-care-leaver-records/ward-state-and-care.

Hi there,

I have not yet worked through your suggestions,  and it may be tomorrow before I get a spare moment to check further.   I am sure our OP and the others who have been following the thread, some who have posted, others who have not yet posted, will strive to reply to your suggestions.

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: Just who is this man, George Charles Lawrence when and where born is conflicting
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 22 September 21 09:23 BST (UK) »
Perhaps theres no physical access to PROV due possibly to a lockdown in Melbourne at the mo....

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline TreeSpirit

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 22 September 21 09:49 BST (UK) »
Perhaps theres no physical access to PROV due possibly to a lockdown in Melbourne at the mo....

JM

I'm pretty sure that it will still be closed, but it might be the only chance to resolve George's background at some time in the future.

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 22 September 21 09:57 BST (UK) »

I think that  George Charles Lawrence WATSON and Mary Monica ORCHARD have a son?

From the birth certificate...... how is father's birthplace recorded?....just New Zealand or is a town/city named.....and who is the informant?

At enlistment file for your George Charles Lawrence WATSON does not record that he has vaccination scars.   Just something to note in considering his birthplace.

https://www.health.govt.nz/our-work/immunisation-handbook-2020/appendix-1-history-immunisation-new-zealand

https://www.ncirs.org.au/health-professionals/history-immunisation-australia

Offline heaven

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 22 September 21 10:17 BST (UK) »
Tree Spirit

I am sorry you feel ignored it is not intentional on my part, it is just for me nothing there jumped out at me, and I most likely would have come back to it later. and, maybe i should have answered you as such.

I am floundering with all the info and trying to get to it and work thru the suggestions given to try and get to the end result I need, and it helps me to look outside the square.
I  am not as savvy as most and my experience with searches is not that great, I do get a little overwhelmed, so having said that my sincere apologies to you.

Offline heaven

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 22 September 21 10:52 BST (UK) »
Yes George Charles Lawrence and Mary Orchard had one son, Kenneth George Watson born 31 October 1924, died 2007 and shares a grave wit his mother Mary. Too late for a historical birth certificate.

Are you saying because George has no marks listed on his war record it points to him being born in NZ. I have looked at he links you sent re vaccinations.

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 23 September 21 00:12 BST (UK) »

The vaccination scar is worth noting because not all men and women enlisting had been vaccinated.

It is a describer. Similarly, if George was six foot tall.....was a surgical instrument maker....was Jehovahs Witness....had a distinctive tattoo.....etc. Anything that might be useful now, or later when you are considering other finds to be possibly related to him. The insignificant things can be useful.

Are you descended from this George?

Offline heaven

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 23 September 21 01:56 BST (UK) »
George is not a direct descendant he comes into the family through marriage