Author Topic: Assistance Needed with Inquest of John Sinnamon  (Read 416 times)

Offline Tikva

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Assistance Needed with Inquest of John Sinnamon
« on: Wednesday 22 September 21 03:16 BST (UK) »
Hi

I'm hoping that someone might be willing to assist me in deciphering the attached PDF, which is made up of images from an Inquest that took place in 1908.  Just in case this exceeds the file size limitation, I have provided a link to the file on my Google Drive.  The information in this is quite important, as we are trying to determine the children that Mary Slater, referred to as a Housekeeper, but also as Mrs Sinnamon, might have had with the said John Sinnamon.  Thank you very much in advance.

Link to file - https://drive.google.com/file/d/1jLI-xVpur8OCJkqWOS2c9UConOjnbk65/view?usp=sharing
Sinnamon (and variants); Black; McBreen; Brady. - Northern Ireland & New Zealand
Liggins, Liggons, Liggens (and variants) - Warwickshire, Leicestershire, Derbyshire & New Zealand
Padman (family very much involved in early Wesleyan Church) - England, Australia and New Zealand
Oxley - England, Australia and New Zealand

Offline horselydown86

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Assistance Needed with Inquest of John Sinnamon
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 22 September 21 05:56 BST (UK) »
The information in this is quite important, as we are trying to determine the children that Mary Slater, referred to as a Housekeeper, but also as Mrs Sinnamon, might have had with the said John Sinnamon.

I have scanned through and believe this is all which pertains to your question.

From the deposition of Mary Slater:

...I lifted all off him - he never

spoke after that - I sent my

little girl for assistance she

ran over to Mrs Stafford - Mrs

Kearney and Mrs Stafford

came over to assist me...

From the deposition of Ellen Kearney:

...I got a message

from Mrs Sinnamon by little

girl to come over quick as her

father was under the wall...

Offline amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 22 September 21 06:11 BST (UK) »
As horsleydown86 says

Ellen Kearney wife of Edward Kearney residing at Blacks. I got a message from Mrs. Sinnamon by the little girl to come over quick as her father was under the wall.

So the neighbour knew her as Mrs. Sinnamon.
The little girl referred to the deceased John Thomas Sinnamon as her father.

Mary Slater says she is the housekeeper for the deceased although known to the neighbours as Mrs. Sinnamon.
Last paragraph, I certify the body lying here as John Thomas Sinnamon he was covered with sods from the middle down. Signed Mary Slater.

Offline Tikva

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 22 September 21 06:32 BST (UK) »
Many thanks to you both for your responses - it does seem to confirm that Mary and John Sinnamon were not actually married (no record of such), and that they did in fact have at least one child.

For other members of the family, I would like to transcribe the entire file, but will naturally attempt to do as much as I am able to myself.  I do hope it will be ok to come back to this post if there's parts that I am unable to decipher.
Sinnamon (and variants); Black; McBreen; Brady. - Northern Ireland & New Zealand
Liggins, Liggons, Liggens (and variants) - Warwickshire, Leicestershire, Derbyshire & New Zealand
Padman (family very much involved in early Wesleyan Church) - England, Australia and New Zealand

Offline Tikva

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 23 September 21 02:04 BST (UK) »
Hi again,

I have done as much as I am able to in regards to transcibing the depositions made by deponents in this PDF, but am having much difficulty with the deposition of the Doctor on pages 5 and 6.  I can pick up a word or two here and there, but given that there is some medical info included, am hoping someone can assist me.  Many thanks.

Attached are screenshots of the parts I'm struggling with.

Offline amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 23 September 21 03:42 BST (UK) »
The writing is awful but here goes.
.. and this deponent being sworn said my name is Arthur George Nicholls. I am a duly qualified medical practitioner residing in Opher? I had a message yesterday 22nd instant. I arrived here about ten minutes to two. I found the deceased in his bedroom undressed on bed he was quite dead he has bled from the nose an to  (?) bleeding from the bowels, the abdomen was swollen on removing the coat with assistance from Mr. Booth I made an examination of the bones and general (?) of the body, found no fractures or dislocation examined the rectum by finger nothing to indicate enlargement of the bladder. I consider the cause of death internal hemorrhage and shock and from what I heard of the sod wall falling on him would cause his death.

Offline mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 23 September 21 04:01 BST (UK) »
Extensive bleeding from the bowels

Offline horselydown86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 23 September 21 04:26 BST (UK) »
...an examination of the bones and general (?) of the body...

Is this word possibly a form of the word structure?

Maybe:  structual [sic]

It must be something with two ts.

Offline Tikva

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 23 September 21 04:31 BST (UK) »
Thank you everyone for your assistance which has been most valuable.