Author Topic: Henry Delmage of Ballycurrane  (Read 1198 times)

Offline trekcuber

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Henry Delmage of Ballycurrane
« on: Wednesday 22 September 21 22:17 BST (UK) »
Hi there, if anyone could help me find any more information on my ancestor Henry Delmage (Dolmage), that would be great. What I know:
bp Oct 1768 Rathkeale, to Adam and Catherine (Lawrence) Dolmage of Ballycurrane
buried 6 Feb 1844 (of Croom) in Adare,
Farmer and COI  (Methodist is also a possibility)
Gravestone of Wife  and daughter (https://historicgraves.com/st-nicholas-old-graveyard/li-stnl-0342/grave)
Married Anne Lowes 1774/75-1831 and had among their children : Mary 1796-1848 wife of Thomas Vokes, Ann 1802-1886 moved to America with husband John Dunbar, John 1807-1887 md Jane Welsey moved to Canada, Harriet 1808-1831 buried with mother, Dorothea 1809-1867 moved to Canada with husband John Piper, Elizabeth 1813-1901 married James Piper. Can you search for any further record of Henry Delmage of Ballycurrane or his family? I don't have access to rootsireland.ie so their may be something there.
Also, Henry is listed as living in Ballycurrane (or Croom Area) in 1813 (daughters marriage), 1824 (loan records), 1829 (tithe books), 1831 (wife death on stone), 1835 (daughter death on stone) and 1844 (burial).
Thank you very much!

Offline Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Henry Delmage of Ballycurrane
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 23 September 21 06:37 BST (UK) »

Farmer and COI  (Methodist is also a possibility)

Methodism didn't get going as a separate denomination in Ireland till about 1816. (There was strong resistance to breaking away from the Church of Ireland). The earliest Methodist baptisms are from about 1816 onwards and earliest Methodist marriages from about 1835. But even after those dates many Methodists continued to use the COI for baptisms and marriages, and it was the 1870s before they were all routinely using their own churches.

So in this case where the events are in the 1700s and early 1800s, you should search the local COI records for baptisms, marriages & burials. There won't be any Methodist records for that period.
Elwyn

Offline trekcuber

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 23 September 21 11:31 BST (UK) »
Ah, thank you. I knew their records weren't that good, but I put it in their as a possibility, as some of his grandkids were baptized in methodist records.

Offline LH

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 23 September 21 18:23 BST (UK) »
Hi

As far as I know this is a Palatine surname, so it would be worth contacting:-
www.irishpalatines.org
in Rathkeale, Limerick.  Apparently they hold lots of interesting family trees, records, etc.

Kind regards

Offline Cvgen19

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 28 November 21 16:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi there! I am a direct descendant of Thomas Vokes and I have some information on Henry Delmage of Ballycurrane. To confirm what the other poster stated, I have a transcribed version of Henry’s christening record (from the Family Tree app through the LDS Church) and his christening was indeed through the COI. I also have a copy of tax assessment books from 1826 with his name and acreage listed. Not sure what information exactly you’re looking for, or if I have anything you don’t already have, but let me know how I can be helpful!  :)