Author Topic: electoral roll query  (Read 104 times)

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gran
    • View Profile
electoral roll query
« on: Thursday 23 September 21 05:02 BST (UK) »
Hello,
I have a couple who appear in the 1930 Electoral roll at 2 different locations. The same couple are at Antrim St, Kiama (Eden Monaro) and also Kandos Quarries (Robertson). I know the family definitely had connections to both locations, however I'm wondering how they could be enrolled at both places on the same roll? I would have assumed if they had moved from one it would be deleted.

Any comments or suggestions would be most welcome.  :)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: electoral roll query
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 23 September 21 05:18 BST (UK) »
Automatic changing to ERs would not become available until umm data sort options via computerisation...  1930s - no computers - rolls compiled locally at electoral division levels, but printed by government printers in capital cities.  So the electors SHOULD have completed a brown card at their local post office (card was 6 inch x 4 inch), and handed it to post office staff for onforwarding to their old Electorate and a separate brown card (same colour, same size) with their info for the NEW electorate.    BUT many did not know of that requirement, so you can find people on more than one digitised electoral roll...   ;)  ;) .   So, as many polling clerks were actually permanent employees of the Post Master General's Office (ie the local post office counter staff, telegraph operators, postal delivery staff etc), when an election was due, and before closing the rolls, the staff would often get pro-active and hand out the NEW enrolment cards but not the old cards....  (this from one of my ancient rellies - his brother in law (now deceased) was a Post Master 'back in the olden days')

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gran
    • View Profile
Re: electoral roll query
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 23 September 21 05:28 BST (UK) »
Thanks JM, that makes sense.

I know this family moved around a bit. They were definitely in Kiama in 1924-27 for the birth of 3 children, in Campsie in 1933 for the birth of another, then back to Kiama for a while. I have been trying to work out exactly when they were in Kandos, so it sounds like 1930 might be correct for Kandos.

Thanks again, always helps to have a clearer/wiser head give a considered opinion.  :)