Author Topic: Tellow or Tetlow, also what is the extra word?  (Read 478 times)

Offline Stanwix England

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Hopeless scatterbrain
    • View Profile
Tellow or Tetlow, also what is the extra word?
« on: Thursday 23 September 21 23:40 BST (UK) »
Hello,

I am looking at a marriage record for the 11 May 1708 for John Pickles and Susan Somebody. It's either Tellow or Tetlow, but I'm not sure.

Also, what is the word at the end of the line? The one that looks a bit like nozzle?

Thank you
;D Doing my best, but frequently wrong ;D
:-* My thanks to everyone who helps me, you are all marvellous :-*

Offline AnnieBard

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Tellow or Tetlow, also what is the extra word?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 23 September 21 23:43 BST (UK) »
I am looking at a marriage record for the 11 May 1708 for John Pickles and Susan Somebody. It's either Tellow or Tetlow, but I'm not sure

Just as Jo: indicates a contraction of John or often Joseph, the bride’s name written as Susan: might indicate a contraction of Susanna/Susannah, and I’d say her surname is Tetlow.

Also, what is the word at the end of the line? The one that looks a bit like nozzle?

Pretty sure the word at the end is North but it also has the colon to indictate a contraction. Looking at the other entries it refers to her parish and further down the page I see someone is from South. An educated guess … this refers to North Halifax and South Halifax (perhaps as per the later 1837 Registration Districts Halifax North and Halifax South?)
Somerset and Wiltshire: Rodgers, Wilkins, Maundrill, Tucker, Adlam, Carey, Butcher, Fleetwood AND Scotland: Rodgers

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 24 September 21 00:09 BST (UK) »
I think it's Tetlow, and  agree with North.  There was no mention of Tetlow and just a one liner suggesting North  ::)

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 24 September 21 11:15 BST (UK) »
If it's Halifax and you're seeing North: and South: then I'd suggest these are Northowram and Southowram.

NB - the parish is Halifax, and these are townships within it. Some (Most? All?) townships had their own registers, but entries are usually found in the parish church registers as well.
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 24 September 21 11:29 BST (UK) »
Ann Bard has totally change her reply since I last read it.

Add _ In the original, here was no mention of Tetlow and just a one liner suggesting North  ::)

It is usual (and polite) to indicate the change.

Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 24 September 21 11:46 BST (UK) »
Pretty sure the word at the end is North but it also has the colon to indictate a contraction. Looking at the other entries it refers to her parish and further down the page I see someone is from South. An educated guess … this refers to North Halifax and South Halifax (perhaps as per the later 1837 Registration Districts Halifax North and Halifax South?)

I've also now verified what I'd thought to be the case, that the registration district was only ever called Halifax, though there were sub-districts called Halifax North and Halifax South. See

https://www.ukbmd.org.uk/reg/districts/halifax.html

In case that seems fussy and pedantic (as with my comment on the phrase "Looking at the other entries it refers to her parish"), I believe it's important to use the correct terminology wherever possible. Minor inaccuracies can escalate into major misunderstandings and send fellow researchers, and those who are just trying to offer an occasional helping hand, off on all kinds of wild goose chase.
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline AnnieBard

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 24 September 21 14:06 BST (UK) »
Ann Bard has totally change her reply since I last read it.

Add _ In the original, here was no mention of Tetlow and just a one liner suggesting North  ::)

It is usual (and polite) to indicate the change.

Apologies Gadget, new to the forum and just getting the hang of the etiquette. I posted my comment re. North, reopened the post immediately to modify it when I realised I could find the whole page of the register pictured, and then kept fiddling with my answer (bad form, got it!) and so didn’t see your reply. Won’t do it again.
Somerset and Wiltshire: Rodgers, Wilkins, Maundrill, Tucker, Adlam, Carey, Butcher, Fleetwood AND Scotland: Rodgers

Offline AnnieBard

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 24 September 21 14:14 BST (UK) »
I believe it's important to use the correct terminology wherever possible. Minor inaccuracies can escalate into major misunderstandings and send fellow researchers, and those who are just trying to offer an occasional helping hand, off on all kinds of wild goose chase.
Of course, and apologies for any confusion, sloppiness on my part, mea culpa.

Offline BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 24 September 21 14:15 BST (UK) »
I'm pretty sure that North: = Northowram, South: = Southowram, Skirc:/Skir: = Skircoat, Hall: = Hallifax (as shown on some of the entries with this spelling of Halifax), Oven: = Ovenden.

Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY