Author Topic: William Chambers POME in Tasmania 1846 - 1857  (Read 795 times)

Offline IAFC55

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
William Chambers POME in Tasmania 1846 - 1857
« on: Friday 24 September 21 16:14 BST (UK) »
Hi

I have just been able to link William to my family tree, he was born in Bow Brickhill, Buckinghamshire, C1822, and was found guilty of stealing two pigs (with his brother James). William was caught fairly quickly and was sentenced to deportation, he sailed on the Mayda, on 29/8/45 and arrived in Tasmania on 8/1/46 at Port Arthur. It seems he was pardoned on 30/1/57, just wondered if there are any records locally after his release, can't see that he returned to England.

Interestingly, his brother James went on the run and although he was caught not too long afterwards and was also found guilty I can't find any record of him being deported, in fact he died in Bow Brickhill in 1859.

Regards

Ian Chambers 

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: William Chambers POME in Tasmania 1846 - 1857
« Reply #1 on: Friday 24 September 21 19:06 BST (UK) »
The age is slightly out, but there's a death of a William Chambers on 16 June 1883 in Launceston, aged 64, occupation Splitter.  The informant E Marston, Friend, Turners Marsh.
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 25 September 21 01:13 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

Can you please confirm that your chap was in Port Arthur from 1846.   I have not yet found his name noted in the reliable convict records at the Tasmanian Libraries online.  https://www.libraries.tas.gov.au/how-to/Pages/Names-Index-content.aspx   

I can see where the convicts per the Mayda were landed at Norfolk Island 8 January 1846.

JM

The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 25 September 21 01:32 BST (UK) »
Civil registration for bdm commenced in NSW in 1856.   The colony of Queensland had not yet been hived off from NSW. 

A birth is indexed at NSW BDM 1859 that may be of interest. 

Reference Number : 11631/1859
Baby’s given names : Frances I.S.
The family surname is : POME 
Father’s given name : William
Mother’s given name : Kezia
Birth registered in the NSW BDM District of Port Curtis.   (This is a coastal port in the Rockhampton district of Queensland). 
Frances’ date of birth drills down to 2 December 1858.

Official transcriptions of NSW BDM registrations are a less expensive option than the real deal cert.

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 25 September 21 02:11 BST (UK) »
POME ? It confused me too.
It might possibly stand for …..
Prisoner of mother England ….
 Or
Point of Market Entry …..
Or
Philosophy of Mathematics Education ….
Or
Product of my Environment ….
I can go on, but will stop now. ;D
Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Clark – Faulds – Cuthbertson – Bryson – Wilson: (Ayrshire & Renfrewshire)
Neale – Cater – Kinder - Harrison: (Warwickshire & Queensland)
Roberts - Spry: (Cornwall, Middlesex & Queensland)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 25 September 21 02:26 BST (UK) »
Could be, but there's the surname at NSW BDM  ;D    ADD POME - People of Mother Earth ...  ::) an ancient rellie just phoned that through, he is a tad long in the tooth, over 105 years of age).

I can find where a chap named William CHALMERS was transferred from Norfolk Island to VDL per the Pestongee Bomangee but that was not until May 1847.  He had arrived at Norfolk Island per the Mayda January 1846.  ADD  not CHALMERS but CHAMBERS ... thanks Jomot. ADD Agh....  its CHAMBERS as per CON33-1-79 Image 33 that makes even better sense now. 

That William CHALMERS was sentenced to 15 years transportation.   He was aged 22 at the time, and it was his second offence. 

https://stors.tas.gov.au/CON33-1-79$init=CON33-1-79p33 

I have attached a snip showing that chap's native place.  Our OP has his person of interest as born Bow Brickhill.  Is that also known as  Fenny Stratford ?  :-\

Hi

I have just been able to link William to my family tree, he was born in Bow Brickhill, Buckinghamshire, C1822, and was found guilty of stealing two pigs (with his brother James). William was caught fairly quickly and was sentenced to deportation, he sailed on the Mayda, on 29/8/45 and arrived in Tasmania on 8/1/46 at Port Arthur. It seems he was pardoned on 30/1/57, just wondered if there are any records locally after his release, can't see that he returned to England.

Interestingly, his brother James went on the run and although he was caught not too long afterwards and was also found guilty I can't find any record of him being deported, in fact he died in Bow Brickhill in 1859.

Regards

Ian Chambers 

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 25 September 21 02:32 BST (UK) »
There is a record for William CHAMBERS arrived 8 Jan 1846 on the Mayda.  Convicted at Bedford sessions 1 July 1845.  Conditional Pardon looks to me like 30 June 1857.  Ticket of Leave was Oct 1855.  Place of Origin: Buckinghamshire.
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 25 September 21 02:46 BST (UK) »
Fenny Stratford is in Buckinghamshire- 2 miles from Bow Brickhill.
So that record might be for the same man, with named mis-spelled..
Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Clark – Faulds – Cuthbertson – Bryson – Wilson: (Ayrshire & Renfrewshire)
Neale – Cater – Kinder - Harrison: (Warwickshire & Queensland)
Roberts - Spry: (Cornwall, Middlesex & Queensland)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 25 September 21 02:52 BST (UK) »
There is a record for William CHAMBERS arrived 8 Jan 1846 on the Mayda.  Convicted at Bedford sessions 1 July 1845.  Conditional Pardon looks to me like 30 June 1857.  Ticket of Leave was Oct 1855.  Place of Origin: Buckinghamshire.

Yes, and I had already posted the actual link to that chap's convict record.   But he was transported to Norfolk Island, and NOT to Port Arthur which is in Tasmania.  Norfolk Island is not Tasmania.  He was transferred from Norfolk Island more than a year after landing at Norfolk Island.  Norfolk Island  It was actually part of the NSW penal administrative set up until 1844 and simply because NSW had ceased to accept convict transports, that role administrative was then transferred to Van Diemen's Land as they were still accepting convicts.

ADD Agh....  its CHAMBERS as per CON33-1-79 Image 33 that makes even better sense to me now.  I will note it back on my earlier replies tool  Thanks Jomot.

JM