Author Topic: Parents of James Latta, married to Katharine Lang 1781  (Read 1260 times)

Offline rainbow_beanieu

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Parents of James Latta, married to Katharine Lang 1781
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 25 September 21 11:24 BST (UK) »
Yes that is them. You are right, Katharine's mother Jean didn't get a look in any where. Katharine's eldest sister was Agnes and her eldest brother was Robert, so maybe their childrens' names Agnes and Robert came from them.
I have most of what you have written, but not all. I didn't have the second William born in 1791. There is also a James born 1787, which was listed in the records as James Lato but with James & Katharine listed as his parents.
I think the dates you have listed are the christening dates. These are the birthdates:
LATTA   ROBERT     Birth 22 DEC 1781, Christening 28/12/1781
LATTA   WILLIAM    Birth 15 FEB 1783,  Christening 25/02/1783, Died 1837
LATTA   ROBERT     Birth 23 JUN 1785,  Christening 28/06/1785, Died 1868,
LATTA   JAMES       Birth 5 SEP 1787,    Christening 9 SEP 1787, Died 1789
LATTA   WILLIAM   27/11/1791
LATTA   AGNES      Birth 7 APR 1794,    Christening 13/04/1794, Died 24/02/1795
LATTA   AGNES      Birth 16 MAY 1796,  Christening 22/05/1796
LATTA   CATHRINE Birth 3 SEP 1798,     Christening 09/09/1798, Died 1878

Offline rainbow_beanieu

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 25 September 21 11:31 BST (UK) »
Hi again Colin, re your messages:

A quick mention in case it is of use….
On Scotlands People in the section for Wills and Testaments there is a document [Dumbarton] dated 1827 for a James Latta, Millwright in parish of Old Kilpatrick.

Possible death record for the above.
JAMES LATTER, no age 2/01/1827
Old or West Kilpatrick.

Do you mean these are the same Death documents, or two different James'?
Did all the death certificates have the name of the parents on them?
Even if I got  the death certificate I will not now if it is the correct one, unless it also lists the spouse. So confusing!!!

Offline DonM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 25 September 21 15:58 BST (UK) »
LATTA WILLIAM 27/11/1791 is not yours.

This is the actual OPR entry a different mother.
LATTA WILLIAM JAMES LATTA/JANET MCQUON FR663 (FR663)
M 27/11/1791 496/30 76 Dumbarton

The James in Wills & Testaments (Mill Wright) suggestion is not not yours its a different family.  His wife was Isobel Paton, mother-in-law was Jean Donald married to Mungo Paton, Shoemaker.  He was from Beith in Ayrshire. 

The death recorded as Latter is a James Latta but likely an infant as no age is recorded as there is on the rest on the entries.

Here are some things that might help you.

Scottish naming pattern is handy but if your James is the 2nd son or later son born then his father might not be James would it.

The OPR records baptisms not births and they come from the Scotland’s People https://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk  Some baptisms will also have the birth recorded it depends on the Parish.

So you want to get married - you and your intended wife go to the Kirk Office they they will draft a Proclamation of Banns with your names collect the required coins, it is read 3 times in the Church and if no one objects you are married. Rarely, do they mention the father of the bride/groom. 

Or, if you are pregnant and starting to show you will be brought before what I call the Fornication Department of the Parish where you spill the beans as to the Father's name and he is also brought forward and you are married.

Deaths pre 1855 when Statutory Reg's commenced few are recorded. You have better luck finding these in the burial books of the churchyard/cemetery.  And no, they are not online.  Again the majority had no stone nor could they afford a stone. There typically several buried in one lair (plot).

Your challenges...not everyone was baptized - it costs coin.  Many records are lost especially the further back you go.  The other thing you need to realize the OPR records are from the Church of Scotland only and no Churches.  If James parents were followers of another Church few of those records are available.

Don
I have turned off all email notifications, thank you.

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 25 September 21 16:34 BST (UK) »
LATTA WILLIAM 27/11/1791 is not yours.

Don

Quite right Don my error.

Colin
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline rainbow_beanieu

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 25 September 21 23:11 BST (UK) »
Thanks Don,
that was all very helpful.
Re 'Scottish naming pattern is handy but if your James is the 2nd son or later son born then his father might not be James would it.'

I thought it was pretty general (but, I know, not always) that the first son was named after the father's father. As James and Katharine's first son was Robert, I thought the most likely male parentage for James would be called Robert Latta.

Dianne

Offline brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Computer incompetent but stiil trying
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 26 September 21 05:26 BST (UK) »
It could be.that.there were earlier.babies Jean, Robert or other that were not recorded ...died before christening or exceptions were made if a loved one had recently died who was not the father's father .

My family followed quite traditionally but one daughter is named after first wifes mother and not  mother of her birthmother
the second wife
Roberts,Fellman.Macdermid smith jones,Bloch,Irvine,Hallis Stevenson

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 26 September 21 09:25 BST (UK) »
could someone please suggest who I could contact who may be able to help me with my family history dead end of finding the parents of James Latta, married to Katharine Lang (b. 1762) on 21st April 1781 at Dumbarton. I have a copy of their intention to marry, which only has the bride and groom’s names. I don’t know if a separate document is created for the actual wedding, with the groom’s parents’ names on it.
No such document was created before the start of civil registration in 1855.

You didn't include in your list of possibles for consideration
8. An entirely different James Latta whose baptism record, if it ever existed, has not survived.

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline rainbow_beanieu

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 26 September 21 14:12 BST (UK) »
Thanks for all your replies. I can stop going down the rabbit hole of family research and get on with my life. I guess knowing my:
Father - James McFarlane Latta - b.1924
Grandfather - James McFarlane Latta - b.1893
Great Grandfather - James McFarlane Latta - b.1856
Great, Great Grandfather - David Latta - b.1820
and Great, Great, Great Grandfather - Robert Latta - b.1785
is enough.

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 27 September 21 17:13 BST (UK) »
I realise this may not be of interest but from your last post I noticed that David’s children followed the usual naming pattern. So I looked at the possibility of the father of James being Robert and as you know there is no record on SP but there was a Robert in Dumbarton at the time, so it may well be that the record has not survived. No marriage for Robert & Agnes and two baptisms quite close to each other but worth a look.

LATTA   JOHN   ROBERT LATTA/AGNES LEECH   02/07/1753   Dumbarton
LATTA   MARY   ROBERT LATTA/AGNES LEECH    19/10/1753   Dumbarton

There are a few deaths on SP 1642-1795 including below, none for Robert.
AGNES LATTA   Death    LEITH / ROB LATTA   58 (1726)   21/12/1784   Dumbarton

Possible baptisms for Robert and Agnes

LATAE   ROBERT   JOHN LATAE/SUSANNA MILLAR   19/07/1723   Dumbarton
LATEY   ROBERT   JOHN LATEY/SUSSANNA MILLER   19/07/1723   Old or West Kilpatrick

LEITCH   AGNES   DONALD LEITCH/JANET LEITCH   30/09/1728   Roseneath or Rosneath

It might be worth looking at the records held by Dunbartonshire Archives?
https://www.west-dunbarton.gov.uk/libraries/archives-family-history/archives-collections

Good luck
Colin

Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.