Author Topic: adding to Friends' trees online  (Read 492 times)

Offline searchers

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
adding to Friends' trees online
« on: Saturday 25 September 21 05:33 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I have been looking at a saved collection about friends:  some photos, a childhood autograph book, and newspaper clippings.  It would be nice to take some pictures and post them online.  Potentially, someone who is related might find something fun, cute, or interesting. 

It's easy to add pictures to my own tree online, but these people aren't in my tree.  Any advice please for where I can post something for these friends?  The Find a Grave website will work for some instances, but of course not everyone is on there.
I'm not seeing an option to add a picture to someone else's tree on ancestry.

As an example, the autograph book mostly includes full names, dated in the 1950s, signatures, some with a few lines written.  It could be a little, fun discovery if someone could come across a picture of their ancestor's childhood handwriting online. 

Thanks!
Charlotte

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: adding to Friends' trees online - pictures
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 25 September 21 07:34 BST (UK) »
Contact the owners of the trees, and ask them if they want the pictures.
It should NEVER be "easy" to add anything to other trees :o

There is already far too much garbage on Ancestry trees!
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Online brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Computer incompetent but stiil trying
    • View Profile
Re: adding to Friends' trees online - pictures
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 25 September 21 07:50 BST (UK) »
If its all the same family you can create a tree yourself s.m

And put the pictures up there
Family who are connected will get hint notices

Or as K said ask permission and they can make you a joint editor but this involves a lot of trust sigNatures of living people should NOT be included.
Roberts,Fellman.Macdermid smith jones,Bloch,Irvine,Hallis Stevenson

Offline searchers

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: adding to Friends' trees online
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 25 September 21 15:27 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I guess I needed to specify that it is not garbage!
But I do understand that there are people who would throw away any and all items with great speed.  Meanwhile, those things can hold lovely meaning and sentimental value to someone else. 

Donít worry, KGarrad, I wasnít aiming for the easy wayÖ. I guess I should have specified that I was aiming to share some nice information.  Beyond that inclination, I also am willing to take some moments to do things like look up these names.  I would like select things to be discoverable and accessible online.  Personally, I think that would be nice.  To further clarify, if I could share a little childhood photo, I would see it as a good addition, not cluttering up a tree.  I do understand your view though.

I will have to check on ancestry again, as I didnít see an option to contact tree owners without a full membership.  So that would work out, thanks.

Thank you brigidmac, yes creating a tree just might be a very clever option.  I hadnít really thought about creating trees for people Iím not related to, but that could be a good way to share.  I have searched only a few of the names, but yes I would, as always, maintain respect for privacy and everything.  As an example, one distinctive name led to birth, marriage, death dates very quickly.  I know she was a good friend of my Momís so Iíd like to add something online about her.  Maybe sheíll have a little tree online soon!

I always enjoy little discoveries, so I feel that sharing a few things would be nice for others potentially.  Itís a little pay it forward type of thing!

Some concerns with ancestry from my point of view, but I guess thatís where Iím heading next! 
Thanks

Offline doddsie4

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 25 September 21 15:46 BST (UK) »
          You could go to trees on Ancestry and begin a new tree, which would involve the family line you are interested in.    When you have added photos etc to each person's gallery, give a link to whoever you think might want to see it.      I have done this myself, and relatives were pleased to see photos plus information they had never seen before.

P.S.   Click on your existing family tree, and look for TREES at the top of page.     Click then and you will see an instruction to begin a new tree.

Searching for Bap of Edward Worels born 1826 Hollingbourne, Kent

Online brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Computer incompetent but stiil trying
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 25 September 21 17:23 BST (UK) »
It comes from a lovely sentiment
I sometimes add pictures to the gallery of quite distant relatives when i come across things I think ate poignant or unusual and know people without full subs will not be able to access

I think KGs reference to garbage was referring to postings for the wrong people for example if you attribute a photo of jane doe to the wrong jane doe
Or if the person has your john smith on their tree but their tree is wrong .

Im working with an 18 year old on Tuesday im hoping they can teach me how to put symbolic images on profiles like pics for professions or maps
I can post clips of documents from screenshots from my phone but cant do on computer.

Im an editor on their tree .so can add the people .!
Roberts,Fellman.Macdermid smith jones,Bloch,Irvine,Hallis Stevenson

Offline searchers

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 25 September 21 17:52 BST (UK) »
A little update, I don't currently have a paid subscription, so ancestry doesn't allow me to contact the owner of a tree. 

I don't want or need to subscribe either.  I can now access ancestry through my library.  It's a great way to use the website, but of course there's no option there to write to tree owners. 

It would have been easier to just share a picture that way, but it's unnecessarily expensive.

So, it looks like creating trees is the best route for sharing some pictures! 

Thanks, doddsie4, and yes you've described what I would hope could happen - that relatives might find something that's new to them, or that they would be pleased to see.  I was looking through items and thinking some were just so sweet or interesting or unique.  I just have this feeling that select items are worth sharing.

Wishing everyone more happy discoveries!

Offline searchers

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 30 September 21 05:32 BST (UK) »
An added note, in case it helps anyone else:

without a subscription, it is still possible to contact a member. 
I believe it seemed more straightforward when I did subscribe....  but I found under "Search" click "Member Search" and put in their username for an opportunity to get a message through.

Offline Guy Etchells

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 30 September 21 07:30 BST (UK) »
If he/she is a friend why not simply email them with the picture attached to the email?
Another way is to add the pictures to your own website and give the link in an email to your friend(s).
Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.