Author Topic: Who lived in a house like this?  (Read 2554 times)

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Who lived in a house like this?
« Reply #18 on: Monday 27 September 21 19:27 BST (UK) »
It was one on it's own Gadget.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 27 September 21 23:06 BST (UK) »
I still think it's more likely to be from the Somerset area or, at least, the South West. The cars could belong to people on holiday or visiting for some other reason.

A friend's father had one of those Morris Travellers  ;D
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 27 September 21 23:16 BST (UK) »
Yes that did occur to me too Gadget, I think that what we are seeing could be part of a larger building.
My Uncle's was green and he had one of tartan car rugs, he kept it for quite a long time and was very proud of it.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 28 September 21 10:56 BST (UK) »
I still think it's more likely to be from the Somerset area or, at least, the South West. The cars could belong to people on holiday or visiting for some other reason.
I agree that there's a kind of West Country/provincial town feel to it, but thinking back to a time when people didn't drive as much as now, I couldn't come up with any very plausible scenarios for two small and relatively cheap runabouts to be seen together 100 miles or more from where they came from. Back in the 60s in Yorkshire, an out-of-area registration plate was still something you might comment on. (Well my dad did, anyway.)
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Yorkslass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 28 September 21 11:37 BST (UK) »
Hi Carol,

Haven't posted for quite some time, but still enjoy these building searches.

Could it be Twyford Abbey - at least a part of it.  It used to be a huge building, now derelict, sadly.

http://www.artprintsforpleasure.com/royal-families/twyford-abbey-park-royal-west-london-england-11282210.html

Yorkslass
Norris, London 1800's
Bird, Gt Yarmouth 1800's
Smowton, Yarmouth/Norwich 1770
Dublack, Yarmouth
Binks, Essex
Wilcock, Lancashire
Kettlewell, Yorkshire

Offline Ray T

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 28 September 21 13:12 BST (UK) »
Twyford Abbey looks to be rendered whereas the building we’re discussing is ashlar.

Offline artifis

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 28 September 21 16:01 BST (UK) »
My first car was an Austin A30 built in 1953, the original version, which I bought second hand in 1966 - I'd spent a year out from college working in an Architect's office and bought the car with a totally unexpected tax refund.   :D  The people I bought it from had used it to tour various places in Europe so a well traveled little car.  Loved it, always needed some maintenance attention but so easy to maintain/repair; wouldn't mind having it now as so frugal petrol wise.

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 28 September 21 16:42 BST (UK) »
Hi Carol,

Haven't posted for quite some time, but still enjoy these building searches.

Could it be Twyford Abbey - at least a part of it.  It used to be a huge building, now derelict, sadly.

http://www.artprintsforpleasure.com/royal-families/twyford-abbey-park-royal-west-london-england-11282210.html

Yorkslass

Hi Yorkslass, I'm glad that you joined in because I did think of you when I posted it and wondered if you were around. That really is the closest match up to now and food for thought. Thanks for that.

Carol

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 28 September 21 17:32 BST (UK) »
I'm going off London - take that as you will, but on this occasion I'm referring to my earlier suggestion. This is because the stone is relatively clean, suggesting a non-industrial location, and probably not too much of a conurbation either. The first Clean Air Act was in 1956, but I don't think it was until the late 1960s that there was any major effort to clean the soot etc from the outside of buildings. So if this picture dates from the late 50s or possibly early 60s, the buildings have probably never been particularly dirty.

And another thought about a possible location: in front of the building there's a drive, then a lawn sloping down to the road, with a large tree. The road itself is hidden by the wall on this side of it, but on the right hand side there are steps going down. It's possible that there's a ditch or moat immediately in front of the wall (as we see it), with bushes growing in it, and the grass in the foreground could be the bank on this side.

So what I'm wondering is whether we have our backs to a castle, some of the features of which were imitated in the building we can see. As Little Nell said (Reply #7), maybe it's "a Victorian municipal building masquerading as a castle".

For those of you waiting for my sun and shadows analysis, it's springtime (daffs on roadside, some leaves on tree but not that many), and the sun is relatively high producing quite strong shadows. So more or less middle of the day, meaning that this side of the building faces more or less east.
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk