Author Topic: Have I stumbled upon a secret? Or am I just missing something?  (Read 839 times)

Offline QueenoftheWest

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Have I stumbled upon a secret? Or am I just missing something?
« on: Saturday 25 September 21 18:32 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I did my mother's DNA with Ancestry a while ago and everything has come back as expected; no rolls in the hay... or shall we say no recent ones  ;D

When I first started clustering, I noticed this large group of people who were all a match to my mother's second cousin on her mother's side. My mother and her second cousin share a pair of great-grandparents called Mr J & Mrs M Heath.

However, they were not connected to Mrs M Heath (I had very strong matches on her side) so I could narrow it down to Mr J Heath, which was helpful.

There were 6 matches in this group (>20cM), not including my mother's second cousin. I quickly managed to find a pair of common ancestors for 5 of them - they were all the great-great-grandchildren of a Mr & Mrs X, who had emigrated from Lincolnshire to Ohio in the 1850s. These matches ranged from 55cM to 27cM, so not too high. I could not find any link between my Mr J Heath and Mr & Mrs X, but I assumed it was quite far back.

However, there was 1 match in this group which was strong: Mr Y, who shared 1% of my DNA (98cM, longest segment 73cM). DNA painter suggests this match is at the very least a 4th cousin (6% probability of it being this distant), but likely closer.

Mr Y did not have a tree but I assumed that he must be English, perhaps a descendant of one of Mr J Heath's siblings. I messaged him and, to my surprise, he responded a few hours later to inform me that he had never heard of Lincolnshire and he was the great-great-grandson of Mr & Mrs X, born and raised in Ohio!

I am glad that I got to the bottom of how he fit in to this group but I am struggling to understand how we can share so much DNA, when there is absolutely no paper trail linking us.

I have many strong matches with the family of Mr J Heath's mother, so the only one left is his father, Mr W Heath. Heath is a very common name, but when I search for DNA matches who have a Lincolnshire Heath in their tree, only my mother's second cousin appears (having followed the same paper trail).

However, I do not want to jump to conclusions, especially as only Mr Y is a significant DNA match; surely, if I were also a descendant of Mr X (let's say, before his marriage and emigration), the other matches would be a lot stronger? Should I be looking further back? I know DNA inheritance is random but a discrepancy of 71cM between strongest match and weakest match, when they are all the great-great-grandchildren of the same couple, seems a lot. How do I know which are more accurate? The stronger ones, or the weaker ones?

Thanks for any advice/fresh eyes,

Queenie  :)
Ecclestone - London & Middlesex/Surrey
Hamlin/Hamlyn - Long Sutton & Martock, Somerset
Head - Marlborough & Alton Priors, Wiltshire
Laurance/Lawrance - London & Middlesex/Surrey
Minson - Kingstone, Somerset/Symondsbury, Dorset
Owsley - Buckland St Mary, Somerset
Pyke - (West) Weeke/Wick, Pewsey, Wiltshire
Salisbury - Dowlish Wake/West Dowlish, Somerset

Offline Ayashi

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • William Wood, who was your mother??
    • View Profile
Re: Have I stumbled upon a secret? Or am I just missing something?
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 25 September 21 19:28 BST (UK) »
I know the feeling, although you've got further than me! I've got a cluster of something like 27 people, the vast majority of whom are descended from the same common ancestors (via different children) but I have absolutely no idea how any of them match to my tree at all, name-wise or geographically. I only hope that one day someone will be a shared match that is actually identifiable  :-\

Offline QueenoftheWest

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 25 September 21 19:37 BST (UK) »
I know the feeling, although you've got further than me! I've got a cluster of something like 27 people, the vast majority of whom are descended from the same common ancestors (via different children) but I have absolutely no idea how any of them match to my tree at all, name-wise or geographically. I only hope that one day someone will be a shared match that is actually identifiable  :-\

Nice to know someone else can relate! At least I can pinpoint it to a small region of Lincolnshire but other than that I am completely lost!

Offline nestagj

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 27 September 21 12:39 BST (UK) »
What a dilemma.  I have the same problem- a huge cluster of people who  match each other and me at 4 - 6 cousin but they also match my 1st cousins on both sides.  I've pin pointed the general area and with some even their non- conformist calling at the same time but have no idea since we all connect.  Of coursse we are in Wales so we have lots of Jones' and are at the same time as patronymic surnames were still being used.
Good luck

Offline TreesThatGrow

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 05 October 21 13:14 BST (UK) »
You switch between talking about your mother's DNA matches and then talking about your own. How much DNA does Mr.Y share with your mum?

I looks like Mr & Mrs X are related quite closely to Mr & Mrs Heath. Cousins or half-siblings?

Offline QueenoftheWest

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 16 October 21 19:16 BST (UK) »
You switch between talking about your mother's DNA matches and then talking about your own. How much DNA does Mr.Y share with your mum?

Welcome to RootsChat!

Sorry for the late response, I didn't receive a notification that someone had replied.

Apologies also for not specifying: I haven't done my DNA, I just manage my mother's matches. Sometimes, I slip up and refer to it as 'my' but it is just on my account, not my DNA. I tested my mother so I could get higher cM matches and go further back.

I looks like Mr & Mrs X are related quite closely to Mr & Mrs Heath. Cousins or half-siblings?

That's what I wondered... It must be through Mr Heath, but I don't know whether it's through Mr or Mrs X. I am related to their descendants, but I haven't found any matches who are descended from the siblings of either Mr or Mrs X, so it is really difficult to determine at which side I should be looking.

Mr Heath and Mr X and his wife, Mrs X, all grew up in the same small area of Lincolnshire, but there is absolutely no overlap in the surnames between my ancestors and theirs.

Hopefully, I will get another match that will solve the mystery!