Author Topic: Pretty young Belfast lady- please date?  (Read 1895 times)

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Pretty young Belfast lady- please date?
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 26 September 21 22:30 BST (UK) »
1884 Would be about right which would make it early Edwardian.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline liscoole

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Mary Hall nee Nevins 28-9-1914 - 16-3-2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 26 September 21 22:31 BST (UK) »
I agreeing with Aghadowey, she has her hair down which usually indicates that she is below the age of marriage. She looks to be in her early teens. It's not easy to be precise but between the dates that you have given.
Carol
Thanks Carol, I suspect this is a photo of my great grandmother as a teenager, the dark hair and facial features suggest it’s her. If not then I have no idea who it could be but it must have been someone of great importance to my great aunt.

Many thanks
MAGEE (Dungannon Tyrone to Shankill Belfast, to Whitehouse Co Antrim,) HALL (Lisnaskea, Fermanagh to Yan Yean, Melbourne Australia) McIVOR (Whitehouse, Co Antrim), McCULLOUGH (Markethill, Armagh), DEMPSTER (Ballymena, Co Antrim to Belfast), CUMMING (Glasgow), EVANS (Llandysill, Montgomeryshire to Belfast), NEVIN/ NEVINS (Ballynahinch, Co Down to Belfast), EMMS (Kingston Upon Thames, Surrey), HURREY (Yan Yean, Whittlesea, Melbourne), FINLAY- Jane, of Co Down, m James McIvor 1867. HOBSON Tyrone

Offline liscoole

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 26 September 21 22:32 BST (UK) »
1884 Would be about right which would make it early Edwardian.
Carol

Thanks Carol!!
MAGEE (Dungannon Tyrone to Shankill Belfast, to Whitehouse Co Antrim,) HALL (Lisnaskea, Fermanagh to Yan Yean, Melbourne Australia) McIVOR (Whitehouse, Co Antrim), McCULLOUGH (Markethill, Armagh), DEMPSTER (Ballymena, Co Antrim to Belfast), CUMMING (Glasgow), EVANS (Llandysill, Montgomeryshire to Belfast), NEVIN/ NEVINS (Ballynahinch, Co Down to Belfast), EMMS (Kingston Upon Thames, Surrey), HURREY (Yan Yean, Whittlesea, Melbourne), FINLAY- Jane, of Co Down, m James McIvor 1867. HOBSON Tyrone

Offline jim1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ain't life grand
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 27 September 21 12:05 BST (UK) »
I'm going to upset the apple cart here but I believe the first pic. is late WW1-1920.
There are elements that suggest it might be earlier but you can't wear something that hasn't
arrived yet.
The hat & outfit with the large almost cape like collar are typical of those dates.
Warks:Ashford;Cadby;Clarke;Clifford;Cooke Copage;Easthope;
Edmonds;Felton;Colledge;Lutwyche;Mander(s);May;Poole;Withers.
Staffs.Edmonds;Addison;Duffield;Webb;Fisher;Archer
Salop:Easthope,Eddowes,Hoorde,Oteley,Vernon,Talbot,De Neville.
Notts.Clarke;Redfearne;Treece.
Som.May;Perriman;Cox
India Kane;Felton;Cadby
London.Haysom.
Lancs.Gay.
Worcs.Coley;Mander;Sawyer.
Kings of Wessex & Scotland
Census information is Crown copyright,from
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/

Offline liscoole

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 27 September 21 12:28 BST (UK) »
I'm going to upset the apple cart here but I believe the first pic. is late WW1-1920.
There are elements that suggest it might be earlier but you can't wear something that hasn't
arrived yet.
The hat & outfit with the large almost cape like collar are typical of those dates.
Thanks Jim it’s good to get different opinions!
I was trying to get a date of when that coat came into fashion without any joy.
So, it may well be my great aunt, the girl looks around 15/16.
Thanks!

Offline liscoole

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 27 September 21 22:59 BST (UK) »
The owner has sent me the reverse- photographer G pidduck who was at 109 Dongall Street between 1911- 1914.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 28 September 21 09:59 BST (UK) »
Dates would seem to be a bit later-

Belfast Telegraph, 9 Oct.1917: ...who made the great sacrifice ... Deceased, who was a brother-in-law of Mr. G. H. Pidduck, photographer, Donegall Street. ...

North Down Herald & County Down Independent [Bangor], 12 June 1920: Kodaks Cameras Films, Papers, &c. A New and Large Variety of Kodaks Goods can be had from G. H. PIDDUCK, 9 Queen's Parade, BANGOR Expert Advice Free...

Belfast Newsletter, 5 Mar.1946: MB. G. H. PIDDUCK Mr. George H. Pidduck, Queen's Parade, Bangor, died on Sunday at his residence. Aged 64, he established photographic business in Belfast more than _ years ago and in 1918, he opened studio in Bangor. He was a past president of the Northern ...
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline jim1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ain't life grand
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 28 September 21 10:44 BST (UK) »
The K Ltd. stamp box was in use from 1918-36 so along with Aghadoweys
info it's quite conclusive who it is.
Warks:Ashford;Cadby;Clarke;Clifford;Cooke Copage;Easthope;
Edmonds;Felton;Colledge;Lutwyche;Mander(s);May;Poole;Withers.
Staffs.Edmonds;Addison;Duffield;Webb;Fisher;Archer
Salop:Easthope,Eddowes,Hoorde,Oteley,Vernon,Talbot,De Neville.
Notts.Clarke;Redfearne;Treece.
Som.May;Perriman;Cox
India Kane;Felton;Cadby
London.Haysom.
Lancs.Gay.
Worcs.Coley;Mander;Sawyer.
Kings of Wessex & Scotland
Census information is Crown copyright,from
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 28 September 21 11:01 BST (UK) »
PIDDUCK, G. H. Directories 1916-39 107 Donegall St (1916-22) and 19 High St (1928), Belfast; Queen's Parade, Bangor, County Down (1925-29)
https://www.lennonwylie.co.uk/Lost_photos_photographers_NI.htm
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!