Author Topic: Thomas Hunter Stuart + Mary Teresa Tyler  (Read 2775 times)

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Hunter Stuart + Mary Teresa Tyler
« Reply #45 on: Monday 27 September 21 08:02 BST (UK) »
29 Oct 1871   St Bartholomew, Moor Lane
Thomas Stuart, 25, Bach. Clerk, Red Cross St (I think).  father Thomas Stuart a Tailor
Georgina Deans 22 Spinster same address, father James a Ships Carpenter
witnesses Andreas Boughgnen??? And Sarah Stuart

I am still curious about this marriage and think it may well be Thomas before he became the billiard marker. Note, he was a clerk in the 1861 census. There are no children that I could find from this marriage, and there is a death for a Georgina Stuart of the approximate age in early 1884 in St Giles, Middlesex.
From there Thomas moved on to Maria Tyler, but never married her.
The death rego for Georgina might provide an answer.
Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Clark – Faulds – Cuthbertson – Bryson – Wilson: (Ayrshire & Renfrewshire)
Neale – Cater – Kinder - Harrison: (Warwickshire & Queensland)
Roberts - Spry: (Cornwall, Middlesex & Queensland)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Monday 27 September 21 08:14 BST (UK) »
Brilliant....Thankyou, It was said in the very beginning if you can crack this, i'll give you a small bag of Artichokes for your garden, the ones with the lovely yellow sunflower....So guys the bar was set pretty high..might be nice with a little butter......

Bloke gets a free trip to Tasmania 1826 for pinching a cow in Kerry Ireland, left behind a wife …..
Not so fussed about artichokes, thanks anyway. :D
Best you start a new thread re your Tasmanian convict on the Australian board.
Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)

Offline RickyJack

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Monday 27 September 21 08:34 BST (UK) »
I got Georgina Dean born 1849 married 1871 and died 1899
Thomas was 25 in 1871 and a bachelor
she was 22 1871

Online bbart

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Monday 27 September 21 09:30 BST (UK) »
29 Oct 1871   St Bartholomew, Moor Lane
Thomas Stuart, 25, Bach. Clerk, Red Cross St (I think).  father Thomas Stuart a Tailor
Georgina Deans 22 Spinster same address, father James a Ships Carpenter
witnesses Andreas Boughgnen??? And Sarah Stuart

I am still curious about this marriage and think it may well be Thomas before he became the billiard marker. Note, he was a clerk in the 1861 census. There are no children that I could find from this marriage, and there is a death for a Georgina Stuart of the approximate age in early 1884 in St Giles, Middlesex.
From there Thomas moved on to Maria Tyler, but never married her.
The death rego for Georgina might provide an answer.

The witness, Andreas Borggren, was a tailor, and married Ann Stuart, daughter of Thomas the tailor on 25 Dec 1868.   (His surname is mistranscribed in almost every record.)
 I agree it was Thomas before he became the billiard marker.   Tons of articles in the newspaper on Tom Stuart and his billiard events, but sadly, nothing of a personal/family mention.

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Monday 27 September 21 22:06 BST (UK) »
Death for Sarah Stuart (nee Roslyn)

STUART, SARAH       Age 54 
GRO Reference: 1877  J Quarter in CHELSEA 
Volume 01A  Page 199

Offline RickyJack

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Tuesday 28 September 21 22:00 BST (UK) »
Just finishing off the tree with information gathered ...Thankyou

I could not find any information on Thomas Hunter the Attorney
Thomas Hunter the tailor b. 1817 Scotland died 1895 married Sarah 1844 then married Emma 1881
He had a hard life old Thomas the Tailor and soldier, Two wives, three kids a name change and into a workhouse 6th of March out 9th of March in 23 May out 17 July in 1st October and finally died 29 October, nearly in tears thinking how his life had finished this way.
description of a workhouse
Workhouses were where poor people who had no job or home lived. They earned their keep by doing jobs in the workhouse. Also in the workhouses were orphaned (children without parents) and abandoned children, the physically and mentally sick, the disabled, the elderly and unmarried mothers.

Three kids Thomas Hunter= Thomas Hunter Stuart, Ann Stuart Hunter and Sarah Stuart Hunter.... Having a good think about why the name change, maybe Thomas the Attorney had children out of wedlock to a Stuart Lady, or some other catastrophic event like a murder or hanging for example that they needed to distance themselves from.

I found this ..It was brought to light that the Hunter families had slaves, in 1823 when the Government brought the slaves from their owners some become quite wealthy. 
" for Accounts and Papers relating to Abolition of slavery" ...example I saw one "owner" received two thousand three hundred thirty pounds...wow  in 1823 you could nearly buy half of Tasmania with that. There were quite a few Hunter families involved in this trade....matter of fact I saw seven families with my own surname involved as well.....

Was this enough to change the surname..Thomas the tailor born 1817..this happened in 1823....
Then the clanger.....
A Dr Joseph Stuart Hunter  was an owner in Bermuda on their sugar plantation with a Jane Campbell ..maybe this was enough.. 

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Tuesday 28 September 21 23:13 BST (UK) »
Just finishing off the tree with information gathered ...Thankyou

I could not find any information on Thomas Hunter the Attorney
Thomas Hunter the tailor b. 1817 Scotland died 1895 married Sarah 1844 then married Emma 1881
He had a hard life old Thomas the Tailor and soldier, Two wives, three kids a name change and into a workhouse 6th of March out 9th of March in 23 May out 17 July in 1st October and finally died 29 October, nearly in tears thinking how his life had finished this way.
description of a workhouse
Workhouses were where poor people who had no job or home lived. They earned their keep by doing jobs in the workhouse. Also in the workhouses were orphaned (children without parents) and abandoned children, the physically and mentally sick, the disabled, the elderly and unmarried mothers.

Three kids Thomas Hunter= Thomas Hunter Stuart, Ann Stuart Hunter and Sarah Stuart Hunter.... Having a good think about why the name change, maybe Thomas the Attorney had children out of wedlock to a Stuart Lady, or some other catastrophic event like a murder or hanging for example that they needed to distance themselves from.

I found this ..It was brought to light that the Hunter families had slaves, in 1823 when the Government brought the slaves from their owners some become quite wealthy.
" for Accounts and Papers relating to Abolition of slavery" ...example I saw one "owner" received two thousand three hundred thirty pounds...wow  in 1823 you could nearly buy half of Tasmania with that. There were quite a few Hunter families involved in this trade....matter of fact I saw seven families with my own surname involved as well.....

Was this enough to change the surname..Thomas the tailor born 1817..this happened in 1823....
Then the clanger.....
A Dr Joseph Stuart Hunter  was an owner in Bermuda on their sugar plantation with a Jane Campbell ..maybe this was enough..

Ricky, I do so hope that your friend appreciates the differences between speculation and actual research with supporting official documentation.   I understand there is an Indie Tassie Author Book Fair in a few weeks time in Hobart, Tasmania.   

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Tuesday 28 September 21 23:46 BST (UK) »
https://adb.anu.edu.au/biography/shadforth-thomas-2649

You may find that Thomas SHADFORTH was the brother in law of a chap named Joseph Stewart HUNTER. 

You may have omitted the surname for Jane Campbell who married a chap named Joseph Stewart HUNTER.  I think you may find she was Jane Campbell HINSON.   I think you may find that Jane’s sister, Frances, married Thomas SHADFORTH of the 57th Regiment.   

ADD https://monumentaustralia.org.au/themes/landscape/settlement/display/21382-pioneers-monument-shadforth-monument

JM

The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline RickyJack

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Wednesday 29 September 21 00:10 BST (UK) »
Thanks, but the slave thing is the least of my worries.....things happen for a reason...name changes back then mostly came from poor spelling skills or something naughty had happened,,,which surprises me why I cant even get a sniff of the Thomas Hunter attorney who had a son born abt 1817 at New Abby Dumfries+ Galloway Scotland...he most likely is the answer.....
it was posted and I think its right on the money...
Thomas Stuart the attorney had issue with female Hunter
or
Thomas Hunter the attorney had issue with a female Stuart
I couldnt even find a newspaper article