Author Topic: Elizabeth Barcroft - the second wife of William Lane  (Read 451 times)

Offline Greaves

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Elizabeth Barcroft - the second wife of William Lane
« on: Saturday 25 September 21 23:45 BST (UK) »

Shortly after the end of his first marriage (see separate post), William re-married to Elizabeth BARCROFT on 24 Apr 1854 at Stoke-on-Trent.

William (25) is described as a widower. Elizabeth's father is William Barcroft. I believe that Elizabeth was born in 1834 at Hanley, Staffordshire to William Barcroft and Hannah Barcroft (née Barnett). In 1841 and 1851, her family are to be found in Stoke on Trent. Her father is described as a basket maker in both censuses, which is consistent with her marriage certificate. I mention this because, most people on Ancestry contest this, believing she married a Lewis Lawton. It would be nice to find some confirmation that I have the correct Elizabeth.

The couple settled in South London. With William dying in Clapham in 1893. It is not clear what happened to Elizabeth after his death. I can't find her in the 1901census. And the only death I can find is in Stoke-on-trent in 1908 [Q3 1908 Stoke 6b 85].

William Lane is a blood relative of mine and I really would like to have some clarity about his life and marriages.

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Elizabeth Barcroft - the second wife of William Lane
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 26 September 21 00:28 BST (UK) »
Although stated to have been born in Hanley, the wife of William Lane was born 7/1/1834, bp.2/2/1834 Methodist, Shelton, daughter of William and Hannah.

As you rightly say, the marriage certificate confirms this William is her father.

However, there were indeed 2 Elizabeth Barcroft's and the other ones baptism was 18/1/1835 Hanley, dau. of John and Susanna.

The Elizabeth who married Lewis Lawton consistently gives birth date as ca.1836 and I believe that she was the daughter of John and Susanna.   However, only sight of the 1857 marriage certificate can confirm this and, alas, it is not available online. 

I can find both Elizabeth's on 1841 census but only the dau. of William in 1851.

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online Daisypetal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 26 September 21 00:43 BST (UK) »

Hi,

I agree with Annette, but she types faster than I do ;D

In 1861 Elizabeth LAWTON nee BARCROFT and her husband LEWIS are living with her mother, Susanna BARCROFT.

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:MWMV-S1X

Regards,
Daisy

All Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 26 September 21 00:45 BST (UK) »
Have just found Lewis Lawton and his wife Elizabeth in 1861 - they are living with Susannah Barcroft and shown as daughter and son in law so confirms you are correct and that most of the Ancestry trees are incorrect.

John Barcroft, husband of Susannah, was also a basket maker, and they are living in Swinnerton 1841.

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online Daisypetal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 26 September 21 01:37 BST (UK) »

Are you sure that William died first?

There is this death that could be Elizabeth,

Elizabeth LANE    Sep Q 1891    Wandsworth    1d  363

I can't find an Elizabeth LANE living in Wandsworth in 1891 other than William's wife.

All Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline Greaves

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 26 September 21 12:15 BST (UK) »
Following your suggestion of an earlier death, I have found a burial on DeceasedOnline, for Elizabeth on 21 Jul 1891. So your Q3 1891 BMD record is almost certainly correct.

As always many thanks to everyone for your invaluable help.

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 28 September 21 05:59 BST (UK) »
Elizabeth Barcroft was a woman born in 1834. During the 1841 UK Census she was 7 years old and lived in Staffordshire.
LAST NAME:   Barcroft
FIRST NAME:   Elizabeth
MIDDLE NAME:   
BIRTH YEAR:   1834
BIRTH PLACE:   Staffordshire
COUNTY:   Staffordshire
RESIDENCE:   2300
Shelton
Stoke Upon Trent, Staffordshire
HOUSEHOLD MEMBERS:   
William Barcroft (40, Male)
Hannah Barcroft (30, Female)
Elizabeth Barcroft (7, Female)
Ann Barcroft (5, Female)
John Barcroft (2, Male)

to confirm the Shelton abode
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford