Author Topic: Looking for a grave  (Read 742 times)

Offline ShootingStar

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Looking for a grave
« on: Sunday 26 September 21 12:25 BST (UK) »
Hi, hopefully it’s ok to post this here but I was adopted and recently found out my biological mother died in 2013. However, while her immediate family (her other children and older sister, at least) are still living in the local area, as she had been until she died, Ancestry indicates she is buried around 200 miles away! The record gives a grave number and cemetery section, but even after:
A) a few emails and phone calls to the council I believe she is buried in (who told me she wasn’t in either cemetery they held records for, and had no cemeteries with the section number I gave them)
B) looking through several grave location sites
C) I’m waiting for a reply from my local record office, which might help shed light on this…
I’ve had no luck finding her. Someone from the council where she’s allegedly buried said something about some people wishing to be buried with another person.
Is it possible she was buried with a relative then not added to the memorial? Or even that she was cremated and scattered there, but I’m not sure why her record would say she was buried in that case?

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for a grave
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 26 September 21 15:38 BST (UK) »
Do you have the death registration/certificate for her?

Which record on ancestry are you looking at?  If it appears on someone else's family tree then it could be an error.
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline oldfashionedgirl

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 26 September 21 15:51 BST (UK) »
Welcome to RootsChat ShootingStar
Have you looked for a death intimation in the newspapers local to the area she died ?
It may tell you the funeral arrangements.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 26 September 21 15:57 BST (UK) »
Ancestry indicates she is buried around 200 miles away! The record gives a grave number and cemetery section
What sort of record are you finding? is it an actual record or something else like link to Find-A-Grave entry?
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline ShootingStar

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 26 September 21 16:10 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your reply. I have ordered her death certificate, might be a little while before I get it but after I ordered it I started thinking it wouldn’t really help. I don’t think the record was attached to a tree, it comes from England and Scotland, Select Cemetery Registers, 1900 - 2016.
The way I found that was long winded - I knew my birth name and had heard her surname, but not seen it written down, so I looked for myself first, then Googled her name and found an online news article with a coroner’s verdict on the cause of her death - she drowned in the river, but they ruled that she didn’t mean to take her own life. Then I looked for her death on Ancestry. The salient details match up.
I’ve been trying to look up local newspaper archives from that time but just finding it really difficult to find anything. I might have to email the paper and ask if they have anything to do with it archived.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 26 September 21 18:35 BST (UK) »
If it's England the death certificate will not give a place of burial. Not sure about Scottish certificates for 2013.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline ShootingStar

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 26 September 21 18:50 BST (UK) »
I thought that. Is it also possible she or family just didn’t want me to find her after she died?  :(

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 26 September 21 18:53 BST (UK) »
Whereabouts did she die in England, Wales or Scotland?  As she is deceased can you give us her name  and birth details as without a name & location we can only give general information

Did she leave a will?  https://probatesearch.service.gov.uk/#wills

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline ShootingStar

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 26 September 21 19:04 BST (UK) »
She was born June 1959, died in Great Yarmouth, buried in Winchester, Hampshire. Her name was Julia Ann Snowling, I don’t think she left a will from what I could find. Thank you for your replies, also.