Author Topic: Tailcoat and bow tie please date  (Read 3174 times)

Offline liscoole

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Mary Hall nee Nevins 28-9-1914 - 16-3-2011
    • View Profile
Re: Tailcoat and bow tie please date
« Reply #27 on: Saturday 09 October 21 18:35 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone, I received the hard copy of this photo today and written on the back is “this is my bother Sam” (sic)

So, I think this solves the mystery… thank you to all who puzzled with me!
MAGEE (Dungannon Tyrone to Shankill Belfast, to Whitehouse Co Antrim,) HALL (Lisnaskea, Fermanagh to Yan Yean, Melbourne Australia) McIVOR (Whitehouse, Co Antrim), McCULLOUGH (Markethill, Armagh), DEMPSTER (Ballymena, Co Antrim to Belfast), CUMMING (Glasgow), EVANS (Llandysill, Montgomeryshire to Belfast), NEVIN/ NEVINS (Ballynahinch, Co Down to Belfast), EMMS (Kingston Upon Thames, Surrey), HURREY (Yan Yean, Whittlesea, Melbourne), FINLAY- Jane, of Co Down, m James McIvor 1867. HOBSON Tyrone

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Saturday 09 October 21 23:04 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the update Liscoole, glad you can now put a name to it.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Online Kiltpin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Stand and be Counted
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Saturday 09 October 21 23:41 BST (UK) »
Just a little thing - although in the first picture he is wearing "white tie", he is wearing a black waistcoat. That would indicate that he was 'staff' rather than 'guest'.  So possibly he was working as a waiter. 

Regards 

Chas

Whannell - Eaton - Jackson
India - Scotland - Australia

Offline liscoole

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Sunday 10 October 21 13:05 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the update Liscoole, glad you can now put a name to it.
Carol
Thanks for your help
MAGEE (Dungannon Tyrone to Shankill Belfast, to Whitehouse Co Antrim,) HALL (Lisnaskea, Fermanagh to Yan Yean, Melbourne Australia) McIVOR (Whitehouse, Co Antrim), McCULLOUGH (Markethill, Armagh), DEMPSTER (Ballymena, Co Antrim to Belfast), CUMMING (Glasgow), EVANS (Llandysill, Montgomeryshire to Belfast), NEVIN/ NEVINS (Ballynahinch, Co Down to Belfast), EMMS (Kingston Upon Thames, Surrey), HURREY (Yan Yean, Whittlesea, Melbourne), FINLAY- Jane, of Co Down, m James McIvor 1867. HOBSON Tyrone

Offline liscoole

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Sunday 10 October 21 13:14 BST (UK) »
Just a little thing - although in the first picture he is wearing "white tie", he is wearing a black waistcoat. That would indicate that he was 'staff' rather than 'guest'.  So possibly he was working as a waiter. 

Regards 

Chas
Oh I didn’t know that, thank you so much for that useful information!

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Sunday 10 October 21 13:22 BST (UK) »

Regards 

Chas

That would fit with my great uncle, shown in Reply #2, who was definitely staff. We learn something new all the time   :)
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Wednesday 24 November 21 15:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I was reading a book about life in service and found two photos of Footmen wearing what looks ike a  similar outfit that Sam is wearing in the first photo, so I thought I would post it for you to see.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline liscoole

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Wednesday 24 November 21 17:36 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Carol for posting that, it does indeed look like what Sam was wearing! Very interesting, thank you again