Author Topic: Rev Edmund Arthur Algernon Read Burial place  (Read 542 times)

Online Girl Guide

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Rev Edmund Arthur Algernon Read Burial place
« Reply #9 on: Monday 27 September 21 18:02 BST (UK) »
I can't look at anything on Ancestry as I don't have a sub.  I don't know whether looking in Crockford's for 1953/54 would have given any useful information.
Ashford: Somerset, London
England: Devon, London, New Zealand
Holdway: Wiltshire
Hooper: Bristol, Somerset
Knowling: Devon, London
Southcott: Devon, China
Strong: Wiltshire
Watson: Cambridgeshire
White: Bristol
Windo - Gloucestershire, Somerset, Wiltshire

Offline jaywit

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I will find them wherever they are hiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 27 September 21 18:21 BST (UK) »
1897 He was curate of St Matthias Stoke Newington
Cross Steeple Claydon Bucks,  Jennings Steeple Claydon Bucks,  Steel Byfield Northants,  Rogers Northants,  Wheeler Oxon,  Roberts Oxon,  Bonham Oxon/ Middleton Cheney Northants,  Maycock Northants,  Abbott Northants , Newman Northants, Buckingham Bucks, Hart Warks, Newth Gloucs.

UK Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Sewingirl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 27 September 21 19:08 BST (UK) »
Hello to all that have kindly replied to my query. Yes he was in Stoke Newington. His life is he was born 1863 in Blackheath 3rd child to Eliza Jane and Edmund Read. Private school and went to Harrow. Ordained at St Paul's cathedral London in 1887. 1887-1909 curate at St Matthias Stoke Newington. Lived in Hackney then back to Stoke Newington then in Brighton in 1910.  He is mentioned in Crockford's Clerical directory. Went abroad in 1924 with his brother to Genoa. Came back then went to Amsterdam. Lived in East Drive in 1930-52. Died in 1954 aged 90 at Iverton Road Surrey which I think is now called Crossways Nursing home. I have a copy of his Will and death certificate. But do not have any images of him or where he is laid to rest. I contacted St Martin's Church in Brighton where he officiated but they could not help me.  Have contacted the record office in Surrey if there is an obituary in the local paper you have to sit and trawl through the micro film/fiche to find it.  Have looked in the local Brighton paper but no death notice is listed.  He never married and came from a quite wealthy family.  All siblings were wealthy.

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 27 September 21 20:01 BST (UK) »
The 1932 Crockford's (at Ancestry) lists two appointments as a curate in Stoke Newington (different churches, 1887-1901 and 1901-1910) and then a spell as a licensed preacher in the Diocese of Chichester from 1910 to 1928.

Two unusually long curacies and the spell as a licensed preacher suggest that he wasn't following a career path in the church. Might he have been a schoolmaster or similar? And if so, could a school chapel have a burial ground or vault?

Another line of enquiry might be St Stephen's House, Oxford, where he studied - https://www.ssho.ox.ac.uk/  Or would Harrow have anything on him?
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Sewingirl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 27 September 21 20:07 BST (UK) »
Hi I'm pretty sure he wasn't a school teacher. No evidence of that from the surviving family. He did officiate at weddings at St Martin's Church in Brighton.  I do know that. 

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 27 September 21 20:23 BST (UK) »
Am I correct that the object of this post is to find where he was buried?  Have you contacted Nottschick who posted the same request last year in case she has managed to find more info?

Link from ShaunJ's earlier reply #1

https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=826323.0
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 27 September 21 20:31 BST (UK) »
Interesting - the address given in the 1932 Crockford's has the house name St Martin's.

That might be because of the Brighton church; according to Genuki it doesn't have a graveyard, but the map shows it as close to Woodvale Cemetery and Brighton City Cemetery:

https://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/SSX/Brighton/StMartinwithStWilfridandStAlban
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk