Author Topic: Once upon a time....  (Read 538 times)

Offline Essnell

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Once upon a time....
« on: Tuesday 28 September 21 05:23 BST (UK) »
Hi Everyone,

I am wondering... Once upon a time:    I was able to get copies of parish registers when searching pre 1837 records.   

I have been retracing some of my research and I am looking for more of these and I am not finding them. All I get is a type of transcript.  eg:  England Select ... whatever  or the useless index lists.  there are just a few that have the banns etc type of result... unfortunately not the ones I need.     

Even these are hard to find.   So to get an image of a parish register record  now, is it now essential to contact the relevant parish for this and have it sent etc. 

I am looking for a birth in 1796 and a marriage in 1816  as an example.   

I am getting old and stupid or has something changed???

Essnell.

Offline mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Once upon a time....
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 28 September 21 05:30 BST (UK) »
Which parish registers are you looking for?

There are many, but they are all in different places.

Lots on Family Search
Others on FindMyPast and Ancestry and no doubt some of the other pay sites as well

Others are held locally

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 28 September 21 07:38 BST (UK) »
Perhaps you are restricting your search by using terms like birth  and death rather than baptism or burial.
Pre 1837 it is helpful to use the parish name or give a location if you ask others for help as that allows them to give more detailed help.
Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Offline Essnell

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 28 September 21 08:38 BST (UK) »
Hi Guy and Mckha489,

Thank you to you both for the answers.    I am using two or three of the paid sites for this and all are giving me the same result. Just a transcription of the record. 

Once one got an image you could view and this is really invaluable it often means one can see much more than what is on the transcription.    I have those transcriptions but I don't trust them completely.

So in order to get to  images of the original parish records, the ones hand written by the priests and clergy, what do I now need to do.  Contact the relevant parish?  or the Local Family History Group. 

I just tried one of the sites where the records have been broken up into smaller distinct sections and I followed that for the 1795 one and got two copies of the same stuff...parish baptism transcriptions.

I'll try Parish Registers, next. 
Being several thousand miles distant I cannot just run to the nearest Office. 
Regards,
Essnell.

Offline mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 28 September 21 09:15 BST (UK) »

it is helpful to use the parish name or give a location if you ask others for help as that allows them to give more detailed help.
Cheers
Guy

Online Jebber

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 28 September 21 09:28 BST (UK) »
There are plenty of people on here that would be willing to help you, but without some names, places and rough dates there is nothing much we can do.

As has already been said, Family Search has a lot of images on line. Ancestry also has many, especially London parishes, Dorset and Somerset. I have downloaded many images from Findmypast. All the parishes of  Medway area of Kent are free on CityArk, the Medway Archives. Essex Parish Registers are indexed on Ancestry, but to view the images which are in colour, you have to pay to view them on SEAX, Essex Record Office website. All these that I have listed are just  the ones I have downloaded for my own research, there are also many others available.
CHOULES All ,  COKER Harwich Essex & Rochester Kent 
COLE Gt. Oakley, & Lt. Oakley, Essex.
DUNCAN Kent
EVERITT Colchester,  Dovercourt & Harwich Essex
GULLIVER/GULLOFER Fifehead Magdalen Dorset
HORSCROFT Kent.
KING Sturminster Newton, Dorset. MONK Odiham Ham.
SCOTT Wrabness, Essex
WILKINS Stour Provost, Dorset.
WICKHAM All in North Essex.
WICKHAM Medway Towns, Kent from 1880
WICKHAM, Ipswich, Suffolk.

Offline Essnell

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 28 September 21 10:33 BST (UK) »
Hi
Thank you Jebber,
 and thank you everyone. 

I know that these images are available and I have been able to find them without any problems in the past.   

As I said in my last post I would try again and I have finally found out how to get them:  on at least one search site. 

It is some time since I did this, as my last 12 months have been occupied with another research project. In the interim it looks like the sites have all been updated. Now I am stumbling through finding everything. 

It's now, I believe OK.  Just have to adjust to the new Page Layouts etc. 

Thank you for offering to help search but I really do not need that this time. I shall ask if I do, definitely.

Thanks again..I think I'll be fine now.

Essnell. 

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 28 September 21 12:50 BST (UK) »
Hi
Thank you Jebber,
 and thank you everyone. 

I know that these images are available and I have been able to find them without any problems in the past.   

As I said in my last post I would try again and I have finally found out how to get them:  on at least one search site. 

It is some time since I did this, as my last 12 months have been occupied with another research project. In the interim it looks like the sites have all been updated. Now I am stumbling through finding everything. 

It's now, I believe OK.  Just have to adjust to the new Page Layouts etc. 

Thank you for offering to help search but I really do not need that this time. I shall ask if I do, definitely.

Thanks again..I think I'll be fine now.

Essnell. 

It is good you have found what you want but it would have helped others if you had posted more details.
The reason I replied the way I did is some sites are best searched by name, some by parish, some by family or other details, such as occupation.
There is not one simple method to search every site which would return the images you required, and we could possibly have helped more people if you had given more details.
Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Offline Essnell

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 28 September 21 13:38 BST (UK) »
Hi Guy,
Thank you for taking time to reply. 
I was actually looking at birth, marriage and death records. The particular people really didn't matter, I just could not see where on the sites to find the link to the original images.

The Layout has changed such a lot.
 I eventually found on one, F.M.P,  that the types of records have been broken down into separate record sets under Life Events and from there, once the transcript comes up, there is this button up above all of that on the left which takes one to the image.

It says "view original image" or some such wording.  There was one that also. strangely, had a link right beside the transcription button like it used to be: but only the one. on the first results page.

So you have to be specific, under Life Events, choose the type of records and see what you get. Then find this button for the image.  For this site, I haven't tried others yet.

It was good that I did find these as there was more information about the couple getting married than was on the transcript.  I gather from this that both were under age and for some reason had guardians.   This is because the Guardians had given consent to the marriage and that fact was
recorded.

This is the reason behind my wishing to find a way to the images. 

I hope this helps someone like Guy said it might.     

Cheers Essnell.