Author Topic: Recording census details  (Read 217 times)

Offline stewpot72

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Recording census details
« on: Wednesday 29 September 21 09:41 BST (UK) »
How did householders around the 19th century provide details to enumerators when a great many of them couldn't even write their own name? The National Archives states "an enumerator delivered a form to each household in the country for them to complete. The heads of household were instructed to give details of everyone who slept in that dwelling on census night,,,".

Offline nanny jan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Russian John
    • View Profile
Re: Recording census details
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 29 September 21 09:59 BST (UK) »
Perhaps a neighbour or the enumerator filled in the details.  :-\    That could explain some unusual spellings of birth places.
Howard , Viney , Kingsman, Pain/e, Rainer/ Rayner, Barham, George, Wakeling (Catherine), Vicary (Frederick)   all LDN area/suburbs  Ottley/ MDX,
Henman/ KNT   Gandy/LDN before 1830  Burgess/LDN
Barham/SFK   Rainer/CAN (Toronto) Gillians/CAN  Sturgeon/CAN (Vancouver)
Bailey/LDN Page/KNT   Paling/WA (var)

All census look-ups are crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 29 September 21 10:41 BST (UK) »
My grandfather's grandmother was unable to write to fill in forms (more likely due to old age/eyesight rather than literacy since I know she and her sisters were all at school until around 12 years old) and after 1901 census her Will was signed with mark. However, the 1901 census return has 'her' handwriting and very lovely signature on the form (other member of the household was her blind son). Strangely enough, her brother in the next house has the same handwriting so it's fairly obvious who filled out that form for her.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 29 September 21 10:54 BST (UK) »
Quite often children had attended/ were still attending school and were able to read and write, so maybe they completed the form (I've seen a good few 1911 ones where a son or daughter signed the form). Otherwise, as others have said, a neighbour or the enumerator.

Boo