Author Topic: Changes to Family Search website  (Read 5292 times)

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Changes to Family Search website
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 30 September 21 23:15 BST (UK) »
Re. the latest FamilySearch interface. As I wear varifocals I now have to continually move my head from side to side, to focus on each entry after a search. No more running my eye down the results list to see a possible match. Must be even worse if you have a very large computer screen. I might have to get the optician to make me some "computer gogs"

Every major change that FS make seems to make it more difficult to do a simple search. The last was when they changed baptisms and you get all those "father of the child" entries instead of every child, which produces too many duplicates. Ditto with the marriages, you get "father of the bride" entries all the time! Have you found this makes your searches easier?

Gen in Northumberland, England

Hard luck re the varifocals - I used to have to crane my neck trying to read prices on some shelves at the supermarket when I had that type of lens.

Due to seeing a few posts praising familysearch over a period of time, I thought I must be the only one getting the same mixed GENERAL results as you, when I made a SPECIFIC request.
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline carol80

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Edwin Stonehouse 1906-1970
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 01 October 21 01:17 BST (UK) »
I have just tried to download some marriage certificates on FamilySearch that I printed off in 2015. They are now becoming unreadable. To do this I now need to go to FindmyPast.
FamilySearch says Image not available. Then a few say the image can be found at FindmyPast and goes to a log-in page.
Not Happy
Carol
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Stonehouse(York,Durham,Canada)Laurie(Scotland,York)Biddiss(All)Love(Scotland,Australia) Byers(Durham)Demaine(York)Dennison(York)Raine(Durham)Jefferson(Durham)Muir(Durham)
Johnston (Scotland)Hunter(Scotland)Johnson(York)
and many more.

Online Erato

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Old Powder House, 1703
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 01 October 21 02:34 BST (UK) »
Well you should be "not happy" with FindMyPast which charges money for what FamilySearch gave you for free.  And you should be "not happy" with yourself for having failed to save the downloaded images on your hard drive when you had the chance.
Wiltshire:  Banks, Taylor
Somerset:  Duddridge, Richards, Barnard, Pillinger
Gloucestershire:  Barnard, Marsh, Crossman
Bristol:  Banks, Duddridge, Barnard
Down:  Ennis, McGee
Wicklow:  Chapman, Pepper
Wigtownshire:  Logan, Conning
Wisconsin:  Ennis, Chapman, Logan, Ware
Maine:  Ware, Mitchell, Tarr, Davis

Offline carol80

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Edwin Stonehouse 1906-1970
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 01 October 21 04:29 BST (UK) »
At the time I did not have a computer to download them too. Filed them away and forgot about them.
Never thought FamilySearch would make them unavailable.
Carol
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Stonehouse(York,Durham,Canada)Laurie(Scotland,York)Biddiss(All)Love(Scotland,Australia) Byers(Durham)Demaine(York)Dennison(York)Raine(Durham)Jefferson(Durham)Muir(Durham)
Johnston (Scotland)Hunter(Scotland)Johnson(York)
and many more.

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 02 October 21 12:25 BST (UK) »
It seems fairly straight forward to me. Just a slight change  :)

Add - the more I use it, the more I like it.

I am particularly pleased by the facility to download the results to excel format :-)

We don't always take kindly to change though, I can remember the similar complaints when the last version came out. 
A bit of time to get used to it, poke round till we get the hang of the changes and it will continue to be the wonderful (FREE) resource without which I'd still be struggling.

Boo

Offline Kloumann

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 04 October 21 12:58 BST (UK) »
Really struggling with the new format. Almost worth taking out a subscription elsewhere.

Online Erato

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Old Powder House, 1703
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 04 October 21 13:39 BST (UK) »
"I can remember the similar complaints when the last version came out."

For me, they made two really annoying changes at that time.  They eliminated the asterisks that had previously been used to indicate new or updated data sets and they broke the list of US databases up into about ten pages instead of a single very long page.  That meant it was no longer possible to run straight down the whole list and quickly see what was new.

I see that there are now 1588 US collections.  That means that three have been added since the last time I checked and an unknown number have been updated.  To find them, I'll have to go page by page laboriously looking for "Sep 2021."  Annoying.  I wrote to them and complained about it but they never responded.
Wiltshire:  Banks, Taylor
Somerset:  Duddridge, Richards, Barnard, Pillinger
Gloucestershire:  Barnard, Marsh, Crossman
Bristol:  Banks, Duddridge, Barnard
Down:  Ennis, McGee
Wicklow:  Chapman, Pepper
Wigtownshire:  Logan, Conning
Wisconsin:  Ennis, Chapman, Logan, Ware
Maine:  Ware, Mitchell, Tarr, Davis

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 04 October 21 13:45 BST (UK) »
Errmm, why not just click on the column heading that says 'Last updated' ??

That will sort them by date updated, may take a couple of clicks as the first may sort in ascending order, but click again and it will be in descending order.

Boo

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 04 October 21 13:57 BST (UK) »
I appreciate that Family Search is a free resource - and HUGE. I have used it since IGI days!

In addition I have taken an online course 'So You think you know Family Search' -- on two separate occasions over the years, because the site kept changing. What a waste of time that was.
I haven't got to grips with this latest change at all.

Yes -- I am 'Grumpy' about it!
Places of interest;
Lancashire, West Yorkshire, Southern Ireland, Scotland.