Author Topic: Finding maiden name of Mary Prendergast  (Read 629 times)

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Finding maiden name of Mary Prendergast
« Reply #27 on: Thursday 30 September 21 21:42 BST (UK) »
Confused as Thomas has  Mary Neals as mother,  wondering if that's a different Luke and Mary , there seems a lot of Prendergast when searching..!

Prendergast is a more common surname in Mayo than one might imagine. Griffiths Valuation gave me two and a half times as many results for Prendergast (+ variants) as for my own Mayo/Roscommon surname. Even my grandma's surname, locally common to Mayo, had only 100 more results then Prendergast. There was a Prendergast in my grandma's small townland.   
Cowban

Offline Christine3217

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Thursday 30 September 21 21:53 BST (UK) »
Thomas and Bridget both born Ireland , on some census it says Anne is born Ireland and on others it says Hull ?? They did seem to change things on the census.. I think Machon is definitely Mothers maiden name . It's a big help knowing how to access GRO , never used it before.. thank you

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Friday 01 October 21 15:14 BST (UK) »
Thomas and Bridget both born Ireland , on some census it says Anne is born Ireland and on others it says Hull ?? They did seem to change things on the census..

Discrepancies may have been a clerical error by the census enumerator when he was copying household returns into his book. A census enumerator in a town in Lancashire where some of my Irish ancestors lived put ditto marks for "Ireland" all the way down a page although only the people at the top of the page were Irish-born. The rest were born in towns & villages in Lancashire.
Cowban