Author Topic: Ancestry tree not in search results  (Read 385 times)

Offline searchers

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Ancestry tree not in search results
« on: Thursday 30 September 21 05:26 BST (UK) »
Hi,
A curious issue here:  We have a tree on ancestry.  If I do a search though, my tree does not appear in the search results. 

Even if I load the search with info that accurately matches my tree - years, names of parents, spouse, locations, then our tree still does not appear as a match.  I have tried various combinations, altering how much info I include, but it just doesn't come up.  At least not in the first several pages of results. 
The search results include people in other counties, completely different names, wrong gender.  In other words, they aren't better matches to the search.

I was just wondering if anyone might have any insight?  Or, if you have a tree on there, maybe try a quick search please to see if you can get your own tree to appear in the search results?

I use ancestry through the library, so at times it's useful to refer to my tree.  That worked for years with no problem.  Our tree is public, although private trees appear in the results list anyway.  I don't think any settings were changed.  It seems strange.

Thank you!

Online Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Ancestry tree not in search results
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 30 September 21 05:43 BST (UK) »
Just checked and I get a tree that is mine with a basic search.  The main way I usually access it is clicking on trees at the top of the page which wouldn't work for you I presume using the library version   :-\

Kay

Offline bikermickau

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 30 September 21 06:21 BST (UK) »
I'm at home using ancestrylibrary courtesy of my local library. I am a guest of a relatives tree and I have access to it when selecting the menu "Trees"
I don't have a tree on Ancestry.
Jeffs - Northamptonshire to Leicestershire to Queensland, Australia
Lewis - Wales to Gloucestershire to NSW & Queensland, Australia
Iddols & Baylis - Gloucestershire
Mary Jones, daughter of James Jones and Eliza - born abt 1864 Staffordshire, died 1948 Queensland, Australia
Dorans - Ireland to Scotland to Queensland, Australia
Ralph - Ireland to Scotland to Queensland, Australia
Reedy - Ireland to NSW & Queensland, Australia
Bradbury (False name?) - Oxfordshire to Queensland, Australia

Offline searchers

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 30 September 21 06:29 BST (UK) »
Thank you for checking, Kay and biker!

I had another thought and tried to compare the two ways I can access ancestry.
A:  logged in to my account, but no current subscription
B:  through the library access

I did the same search - full name and just birth year. 
Results:
A:  13 trees match the name & yr (my tree was there)
B:  1 tree only!

I tried six more individuals from different sections of my tree.
Consistently seeing very few trees for the right person through the library access. 
In one case, I even saw 51 trees versus 3 available by ancestry library.

I guess the library access to trees is limited.  It's unfortunate as the one or two trees could have errors that may mislead, and people won't get the chance to compare to other trees on the site.

Well, that was intriguing.  I've been puzzled by not being able to find my own tree, but it looks like it was just one of many to not appear in search results.

Charlotte

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 30 September 21 11:15 BST (UK) »
In one case, I even saw 51 trees versus 3 available by ancestry library.

I guess the library access to trees is limited.  It's unfortunate as the one or two trees could have errors that may mislead, and people won't get the chance to compare to other trees on the site.

They may not be in the search results, but they will be there.
From the non library edition results for which you have no sub, hover your cursor thingy over a tree name, or the name in the tree, right click, and from the box that comes up click on "copy link"

Paste that link into the address bar
Change the ancestry.co.uk/com/ca part of the link into ancestrylibraryedition.co.uk/com or whatever version of it you use and hit enter.
The tree should appear on library edition!
Or someone may suggest a better way.

Offline sandiep

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 30 September 21 16:22 BST (UK) »
if you put a person from your tree into search box click search scroll down to family trees can you find it that way?
Pender, Raphael,Lambert,Digby,Stent,
Dowell,cornish,mulley,Death,Rosier,
East End,Suffolk,Essex,Cornwall,Devon,London,  middlesex, hertfordshire                                      Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline searchers

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 01 October 21 04:15 BST (UK) »
Hi,
Thank you jonw, that was a very clever way to work around it.  That allows a route to get to more trees through the ancestrylibrary.  Good thinking, thank you!

Sandiep:  unfortunately it doesn't appear in the search results when searching through the library access.  Most of the trees don't come up in the results.  Even if I add extra details, the relevant trees aren't in the list.

It doesn't feel like it makes sense, but I guess it is free access. 
It's good to see a way around it though!

Thanks,
Charlotte