Author Topic: Burial for Ann Taylor  (Read 226 times)

Offline Steffyj

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Burial for Ann Taylor
« on: Thursday 30 September 21 09:26 BST (UK) »
Hi newbie here, I'm looking for the burial of Ann Taylor who died on the 6th March 1875, aged 28/29yrs at the Radcliffe Infirmary in Oxford. I can't locate her burial in her hometown of Witney which is where I thought she'd be, so was wondering if she was possibly buried in the surrounding towns of the Radcliffe Infirmary. If anyone could help with possible burial sites, I'd be truly grateful. Many Thanks in advance.

Offline paco

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Burial for Ann Taylor
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 03 October 21 15:49 BST (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat! Do you have any other information about her? The only death I could find for around that time on FreeBMD was for Headington, Oxford.
Regards.
Essex/Dorset/Berks

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 03 October 21 16:16 BST (UK) »
Headington was the registration district for the Radcliffe but it is approx 13 miles from Headington to Witney so more likely she was buried at Headington. 

I think the Radcliffe had its own burial ground at that time but I'm not 100% sure
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline cuffie81

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 03 October 21 18:06 BST (UK) »
The OFHS have transcripts for the Radcliffe Infirmary but it looks like they only go up to 1855.

It might be worth getting in touch with OFHS to see if they know if burials continued after 1855.

Also, there was a death announcement for Ann/e but no mention of the funeral.

Bicester Herald
19 Mar 1875
page 8
Deaths
March 6, at the Radcliffe Infirmary, Oxford, aged 29, Mrs Anne Taylor
Anderson Banks Beard Brewer Caves Clarke Clinch Cooling Cuff Denton Gamble Gibson Gunn Hunt Mills Muncey Norris Notzke Reid Robinson Searle Smith Trundle Turner Weedon Wells Wilson

Offline tazzie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 03 October 21 19:48 BST (UK) »
A report in the Church Times says the burial ground was closed by Order- in Council in 1855. It's seems the ground was never deconsecrated. Between 1921-1957 the burial ground was built over by an extension to the eye hospital.
In 2011 the report says around 700 sets of human remains were to be exhumed and reburied.

Tazzie
Liscoe -all
Green/Simpson/Underwood-Beds
Walker/Foulkes/Fookes/Fooks/Hedges/Lamborne-Bucks.
Stanton/Pattrick/Cooper/Fitzjohn/Holland/Spalding-London
 Rewallin/Underwood -Devon
 Casbolt-London/Cambridge
 Favell/Favel - Lincs-Beds

This information is Crown Copyright from
   www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline CarolA3

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My adopted home
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 05 October 21 16:29 BST (UK) »
The OFHS have transcripts for the Radcliffe Infirmary but it looks like they only go up to 1855.

It might be worth getting in touch with OFHS to see if they know if burials continued after 1855
A report in the Church Times says the burial ground was closed by Order-in-Council in 1855.

Thanks tazzie for explaining the absence of burial records after 1855.

I have a copy of the CD mentioned by cuffie81.  The preamble to the Radcliffe transcripts includes the following:

"A single entry for 1771 is recorded in the burial register; otherwise the register dates from 1815 to 1855.

The death registers date from 1845 and appear to be complete except for the period 1874-8"

Steffyj, my copy of the CD isn't the most recent version.  It's possible that the missing death records for 1875 have been found since the Health Authority archives were transferred to the Oxfordshire History Centre (about 10 years ago?).  If I were you, I'd check with Oxfordshire Family History Society as they did the original transcribing; their email is help[AT]ofhs.org.uk

Carol
OXFORDSHIRE / BERKSHIRE
Bullock, Cooper, Boler/Bowler, Wright, Robinson, Lee, Prior, Trinder, Newman, Walklin, Louch