Author Topic: James Venemore and Harriet Pike/Venemore  (Read 2367 times)

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
Re: James Venemore and Harriet Pike/Venemore
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 30 September 21 17:35 BST (UK) »

Well done Pennines. 
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 30 September 21 19:23 BST (UK) »
Well done you, Sandra, for the link to the immigration site. Every day is a school day!

How strange there are no lists for people leaving Canada though.

Basically we are stuck then, on this James. I can't see another James Venemore born around the same time as James C. Venemore. Just strange that on the marriage to Harriet amongst Kent parish registers - he says he's a bachelor and doesn't use the middle initial.

The possible first marriage and the death record do.

Rishile -- I think you can be assured you haven't missed anything - either that, or we have all missed it! As Sandra said, maybe the death cert of James C. will help. Occupation of the deceased - the cause of death - and actual date. It was Q/E Mar 1910 - but was it AFTER the date of Harriet's return in March that year?
Places of interest;
Lancashire, West Yorkshire, Southern Ireland, Scotland.

Offline eileenwilson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 30 September 21 19:37 BST (UK) »
A thought .... perhaps James came home before the wife and kids to find a place to live, find work, etc.... which is why he is not listed on the passenger record, so perhaps he did pass in England prior to their arrival.

Offline Rishile

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 30 September 21 20:00 BST (UK) »
Thank you Eileen, Sandra and Pennines for all your help with this.

I won't be getting the death cert for James C Venemore because a) James is the husband of Harriet who is not actually in my direct line and b) I think James C is a red herring although a big coincidence.

I appreciate everyone's help with this
Rishile
Stoneham - Kent / Essex / Herts / Bucks / Devon
Pike - Kent
Pay - Kent
Swan/Swaine - Herts / London
Bissenden - Kent
Chappell - Herts
Hammond - Essex

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 30 September 21 20:06 BST (UK) »
The sister of James Venemore - Annie Venemore aged 22 years when she married William Langley - Woolwich London  16 September 1893 - father was George Venemore - Baker.

1881 Birds Hill Heath and Reach Bedfordshire.

George Venemon 27 Hay & Straw Maker.
Sarah Venemon  28
Annie E. Venemon 5
James P. Venemon  8 months

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 30 September 21 20:36 BST (UK) »
Sandra - I have just found the census you mean -- on that George's occupation seems to be Hay and Straw Dealer. (wouldn't fancy eating his bread!)

If he's a Baker at Annie's marriage, maybe he changed jobs - Sarah's a widow by 1891.

Anyway -- it's been a good hunt and I guess we'll never know whether there are 2 James's - or when Harriet's husband returned.

Places of interest;
Lancashire, West Yorkshire, Southern Ireland, Scotland.

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 30 September 21 21:39 BST (UK) »
Yes, I had "baker" on the brain.    :-\

Sandra

Online bbart

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 01 October 21 06:48 BST (UK) »
Just throwing my two cents out here:

I don't think James C. is a red herring at all.  From reading the old British newspapers on this family, the Venemore's of Leighton Lizard and Heath & Meath were all corn dealers, corn dealers AND bakers, or just bakers.   It is not at all uncommon to have that combination.  Corn dealers didn't just deal in corn; they dealt in all seeds, for human and animal consumption, and farmers for the next years crop.  The bakers probably had the best wheat milled for themselves!

The dates of  everything fit too well, right down to James' birth announcement. George's father, Joseph, was constantly in the papers.  Josephs other son, also a James, a corn dealer and baker pops up in articles.

As for the "bachelor", it is really not that rare to have that been recorded wrong; whether intentionally or just clerical error/assumption. Maybe Harriett was giving the information, and had no idea he had been married before.

The death of James C in 1910 is first quarter 1910.  That is when Harriet is returning to Canada.  Perhaps she was bringing his body back, and the death was registered in England.  It is unfortunate that this didn't occur until after the Canada 1911 census so we could see where they were to check newspapers.  :-\

Anyways, that's my take on it! Take another look, and make your own decision, but I only post because I would hate to see someone hit a brick wall over one word  (bachelor) on a document.

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 01 October 21 08:11 BST (UK) »
That's the way my grey cells were working yesterday.  It seems to coincidental for the death not to be him.

Sandra