Author Topic: Samuel Cunliffe  (Read 639 times)

Offline Banks2233

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Samuel Cunliffe
« Reply #36 on: Sunday 03 October 21 05:50 BST (UK) »
I ended up sending an email to genealogySA, didn’t want to pay a joining fee for a couple of people. I have been adding the names on my ancestry tree, and there’s so much to do there, I don’t mind though. I’ll keep at it, my dog just wants a ball game so I’ll be back in 10

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Sunday 03 October 21 06:25 BST (UK) »
In the 1841 census (Kay street, Bolton Le Moor) there is a 15 year old Samuel living in the house of 79year old John Cunliffe. This is perhaps your Samuel under the care of an uncle or grandfather, and before he sets off to sea. I am not sure, but it is the best possible one I could find for that census.

I still can’t find a death for his mother Esther. Only sibling and sister, Esther died in Jan 1836.
Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Clark – Faulds – Cuthbertson – Bryson – Wilson: (Ayrshire & Renfrewshire)
Neale – Cater – Kinder - Harrison: (Warwickshire & Queensland)
Roberts - Spry: (Cornwall, Middlesex & Queensland)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland)

Offline Banks2233

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Sunday 03 October 21 06:44 BST (UK) »
Yes I found the same, but I did find a death record for his mother, Dec 1890, with Same surname, also had her sister living with her at one stage.

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Monday 04 October 21 01:12 BST (UK) »
Interesting that Esther reverted to her maiden name. And also that Samuel did not use his parents names for any of his children.

I would be interested to hear what response you get from Genealogy SA, and if what they have on the Biographical index, is at all useful. I have looked at that site before and wondered about it.

You may already have this 1874 newspaper article (top of last column), but will post here in case.
https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/18332930?searchTerm=“Samuel%20Cunliffe”
Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland)

Offline Banks2233

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Monday 04 October 21 01:21 BST (UK) »
It is strange, but does happen.
Hopefully SA will get back to me sooner than later.
The information you found was spot on. The Fordhams did follow the Cunliffe’s to the goldfields. They are also mentioned in the Tarrengower Times Newspaper. Having ancestry I was able to find pictures of George and Mary Fordham and some of their children. Sadly nothing yet for Samuel and Elizabeth. I still don’t know how they came out here, either I’m looking in the wrong places or the doctor Kent’s have been lost????

Offline Banks2233

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Monday 04 October 21 01:23 BST (UK) »
Sorry, didn’t check the spell check.
“Documents have been lost”

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Monday 04 October 21 01:35 BST (UK) »
 I think Samuel probably “jumped ship”, possibly Adelaide. There will be more merchant ship records for him in UK archives, but they are not available easily online. It would be useful to find the name of the merchant ship he was on - records of these arrivals rarely exist in Australia. The ship records are in England.
I speak from experience, as my 2x great grandfather, John, jumped ship from the merchant navy in Sydney in 1848. He was 16, his mother died young and his father had remarried. John wanted to escape his step-mother we think. There were about another 5 crew members who jumped off in Sydney. It was quite a common thing! I have the ships records which I got from Uk archives in Kew.

As for Elizabeth and Mary Sutton- lots more research needed there! :)

Offline Banks2233

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Monday 04 October 21 02:04 BST (UK) »
Information here, especially the gold rush times, is quite difficult here. And it seems the quest for gold or gems runs deep in my family, even to this day. As is the sea for fishing and exploring. I’m south of Sydney, surrounded by bush, but with the things going on at present in the world we wish we were a million miles away from everything.

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Monday 04 October 21 03:14 BST (UK) »
From Mary Sutton's death cert, her father is noted as William ....

This could be the Sutton's arriving.

“Adelaide Observer” Sat 21 Sep 1850
Shipping Intelligence - ARRIVED.
Sunday, September 15 — The ship Stebonheath, 1030 tons, Sargent, master, from London 1st June, and Plymouth 16th June.
Passengers — For Adelaide and Port Phillip.
Long list of passengers including …….. William Sutton and 2 daughters ……

Note:
There is a William Sutton death in Adelaide in 29 March 1854 – don’t know what age – so may or may not be the father?