Author Topic: What did a Plumper do?  (Read 449 times)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: What did a Plumper do?
« Reply #9 on: Monday 04 October 21 23:16 BST (UK) »
I do not wish to pour cold water on any theory, but I very much doubt that any elections in 1699 would have needed anyone to adjust the outcomes. In 1918 universal suffrage was still not a thing in this country.
Regards

Chas

I agree, nought gained by pouring cold water on any theory,  but nothing in my posts had anything do to with the introduction of universal suffrage.  Male universal suffrage came to my neck of the woods in the 1850s, and included the introduction of secret ballots, females had to wait until the 1890s.
 ;D  ;D  ;D

I can assure you though, that if seats in some of those 'Home Counties' early parliaments, required two or more persons to be elected to represent that seat, then there was every opportunity for a voter to become a plumper.   ;D  ;D  ;D.   

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.